Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clampers in Naas on a sunday afternoon

Options
  • 07-11-2011 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Couldn;t believe it.!! Got done on a sunday afternoon.! I thought it was free on sundays in Naas but NCPS clamped my car. Was going to use con-saw and tell them to fcuk off but saw a sign stating this car park is 24hr X7 pay zone. It's just up from where Finan's put used to be, across from super valu.
    Do I have rights to pursue this or is it a dead issue ?:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If it's signposted as such, and you made the error, what "rights" do you think you would have?

Assumption is the mother and all that..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,948 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Rule of thumb NCPS dont have off days ;)

Councils tend not to do the sabbath. but private entities,

'its all about the money its all about the dum dum da da da dum'

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Rochie IRL

You parked on a privately owned site that has the parking managed by NCPS. I've seen a lot of cars getting clamped and getting the stickers put on them because the driver is thinking the same as yourself that Naas UDC wardens finish at 5 during the week, and finish at 1 on a Saturday and no wardens on a Sunday. NCPS manage a few carparks around the town, the old Superquinn overflow, The small one beside Maxol on the Dublin Road and the carpark on Friary Road beside the Barker and Jones school book shop.

I'm afraid fighting it won't get you anywhere, you may put it down to a lesson learned and it is such an easy thing to happen to anyone. I just about avoided it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Dead issue - it's a private carpark and NCPS are very efficient when it comes to clamping. I use the carpark on Friary Rd a good bit and I've seen a huge number of people getting clamped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Hard lesson to learn, but you've learned it. Privately run car parks are like that. And you didn't pay the fee.

However I can relate a particular NCPS story from Naas that really highlights how greedy and absolutely crazy their business ethos is. My wife was clamped in the old Superquinn overflow car park a few months back. She had bought a ticket and it fell off the dash board. The phonecalls to NCPS yielded rudeness and no satisfaction. It was a case of pay the fine and appeal. Having had previous experience of their appeals system, I opted to cut the clamp off. Why? Because my wife had a valid parking pass and they showed no interest, understanding or compassion when she explained that it fell off the dashboard. So I decided to display a similar attitude to their clamp. I've heard nothing since.:D

If you don't pay the parking fee, I've no sympathy. They are entitled to run their business. But its their aggressive clamping of vehicles that have paid stickers that gets me irate. IMO I think its an industry that needs regulation and a code of practice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Legal or not its still wrong to be clamping on a Sunday. What did they charge to have the clamp removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

Clamping in private car parks is un-regulated.

A motorist cut the clamp from his car and from four others in a private car park in Newbridge about 3 months ago. Although all 5 were threatened with prosecution, nothing followed.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with this course of action but its an industry which seems to attract some cowboy operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭pad199207

NCPS are a right shower of a##les in Naas

I was Parked up in Eurospar waiting for my friend to come out with groceries and i watched them whizz into the parking lot in there van and clamp 4 cars in id say 10 mins. A women was walking back to her car and they still went ahead and Clamped her and boy did she let him have it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Also be aware that in the car park across from the supervalu I've seen on more than one occasion someone who works in one of the shops snoop around the cars then make a phone call, 2 mins later the clampers arrive.

I'm not saying that they ARE calling them but it seems very coincidential. I wouldn't leave my car for even 5 mins there without a ticket, I won't stop there if I don't have change because I wouldn't be surprised if I was clamped in the time it'd take to go get change for the machine. I can understand a business doing it on a busy day when they want to keep some parking for their own customers, but to do it when there are not many cars there is just lousy. :(

On the other hand, the man who does the public roads seems like a lovely man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Maybe a law should be made that private car parks have to use in and out barriers with ticket machines. Clamping in a private car park is just a pure money making racket and should be outlawed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I got caught in Naas years ago...I paid my money in the ticket machine, placed the ticket on the windscreen, BUT, I parked in a section of the car park reserved for businesses- the signs were tiny that pointed this out- I was levid - I certainly didn't make it easy on the clampers that day- they definately knew this was a genuine mistake-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

As the private clamping business is unregulated and hovering maybe just above or below the law there may be an opening for someone to hang about with a bolt cutters. Such a person could offer to remove clamps for a fraction of the cost offered by the clampers. Maybe call this person a "clamp angel" just like the service being offered by the "meter angels". If anyone goes into this business don't forget to pass on a commission to me;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

how many peeps have been prosecuted for removing clamps in Ireland?

I would not think twice about using my cordless grinder to remove a padlock.

I dont think they have a clear right to interfere with the workings of your car. As far as the experts( the lad in the canteen at work LOL) say, its a very gray area.

If you do remove it . You will probably get away with it as long as you replace the damaged lock.

I think there was a massive thread here on the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Derfil wrote: »
    Legal or not its still wrong to be clamping on a Sunday. What did they charge to have the clamp removed?
    How do you figure that?

Nevore wrote: »
    How do you figure that?

Why do you think..???

I guessing one would think its wrong because parking in most places is free on a Sunday, and a company profiteering on this public assumption is a really scum bag thing to do.

Would you not agree!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

..not if it's signed, which by the OP's admission, it was.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Why do you think..???

I guessing one would think its wrong because parking in most places is free on a Sunday, and a company profiteering on this public assumption is a really scum bag thing to do.

Would you not agree!!!!!!!!!!
    It's private property. It's signposted. The assumption is the responsibility of the op, not the company.
    A little bit of personal responsibility would go a long way.

Nevore wrote: »
    It's private property. It's signposted. The assumption is the responsibility of the op, not the company.
    A little bit of personal responsibility would go a long way.

Oh your right. The private property carefully disguised as a CARPARK.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

:confused:

I have never been clamped by NCP . But I strongly disapprove of there tactics against US, the motoring public. Its very easy to jump out of your car, in a car park, On a Sunday and assume that it free. I dont understand how any person can defend such a company.

My partner was clamped by NCP in the small car park beside Tesco. The car park disguised as the Tesco supermarket car park. She was caught, with no money left after shopping with a 7 month old baby in winter. I had to travel from Dublin with money to rescue her and my baby boy.

The signs which are the same color and style as the Europark signs in the main car park.
    They prey on people. And you will probably find that opinion very widespread.
    Needless to say. We never shopped in Naas town ever again. 160euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Right this is going be a little hazy but just bare with me i remember a few years ago a guy i worked with got clamped in a car park in naas he said some old woman who owned a shop rented out to clampers like this but the space he parked in was right next to a kcc parking meter so he got his ticket and went on his way only to come back and it was clamped cause it was the wrong meter, he said he was parked 5 foot away from the kcc meter but wasnt they're space it was in the leader and all ended up going to court over it.

i know thats a little vague but does anyone round the naas area remember this certain carpark if i got in touch i'd find out the full story but that wont be for a few days

Oh your right. The private property carefully disguised as a CARPARK.
    No, it is a carpark. It's not disguised as one. Carparks exist that charge on a Sunday. In fact, I'd imagine most carparks in the country that charge at all, charge on a Sunday.
    I find it hard to believe that anyone would be promoting such a flagrant disregard for personal responsibility. Sure it's easy to jump out of the car and walk away but unless you're carrying a nearly dead baby to a doctor, you've no excuse not to take thirty seconds and look around you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

I have never been clamped by NCP . But I strongly disapprove of there tactics against US, the motoring public. Its very easy to jump out of your car, in a car park, On a Sunday and assume that it free. I dont understand how any person can defend such a company.

My partner was clamped by NCP in the small car park beside Tesco. The car park disguised as the Tesco supermarket car park. She was caught, with no money left after shopping with a 7 month old baby in winter. I had to travel from Dublin with money to rescue her and my baby boy.

The signs which are the same color and style as the Europark signs in the main car park.
    They prey on people. And you will probably find that opinion very widespread.
    Needless to say. We never shopped in Naas town ever again. 160euro

You are absolutely correct. However the Irish public and in particular the "internet" public seem destined to accept all that is thrown at them. My theory is, that, like computers, their minds think in a very predetermined logical fashion. Very sad, because it allows the likes of NCPS to make money and be rude without providing a service of any quality whatsoever.

Just cut the clamp off and stand up for yourself if they are behaving in an unreasonable manner. I'll obey their rules to a degree if I need to. But I will not obey their rules when they act in a blatantly unreasonable manner. Nobody should. The only power they have is the power they think they have. In reality they have none once you are prepared to go the distance and cut the clamp off.

Advertisement