Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Berlin or Budapest??

• 07-11-2011 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

for a city break around xmas time?? is Berlin expensive to eat drink and be merry??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

littledubs wrote: »
    for a city break around xmas time?? is Berlin expensive to eat drink and be merry??

berlin , i havent even been there but berlin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Have been to Budapest, so......Berlin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Budapest is OK too, but Berlin is good at this time of year.
    Have some Glühwein!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

personally Berlin going there a second time in Feb the markets will be a magical time around Christmas. Loads of mulled wine, beer bratwurst etc

its an awful kip alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I've been to both Berlin and Budapest and, unlike everyone else I'm going to recommend Budapest. Berlin just felt too touristy and cold both in terms of temperature and the reception of the natives.

Admittedly I was looking forward to my trip to Budapest from historical and linguistic contexts so I made sure to do more while I was there but Berlin really didn't grab me for whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Malice wrote: »
    I've been to both Berlin and Budapest and, unlike everyone else I'm going to recommend Budapest. Berlin just felt too touristy and cold both in terms of temperature and the reception of the natives.

Admittedly I was looking forward to my trip to Budapest from historical and linguistic contexts so I made sure to do more while I was there but Berlin really didn't grab me for whatever reason.

I agree i am always perplexed at the rave reviews Berlin gets around here i taught it was average at best.Never been been to Budapest so cant comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

If you want to go clubbing non-stop for 48 hours (I mean non-stop), then it's hard to beat Berlin.

Some clubs open on a Saturday night and don't close til Sunday night. Literally.

I love Berlin. Good mix of history and music.

Cost wise, it's a good bit cheaper than Ireland. Even in clubs a bottle of beer is like, 3 euro, maybe 3.50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

sorry folks have been to both and for me its Berlin no contest:
    Simple to get around
    Fairly cheap
    Savage night life although its a bit spread out
    So much history and stuff to see on so many levels its outrageous

within a mile of Unter den linden/Friedrichstrasse junction-
    you have brandenburg gate, Museum Island, Jewish Memorial, Reichstag, Sony Centre, Berlin Wall, Checkpoint Charlie etc etc

irishh_bob wrote: »
    its an awful kip alright
    sorry folks have been to both and for me its Berlin no contest:
    I'd like to know what you folks didn't like about Budapest. Could any of you elaborate?
    Simple to get around
    Fairly cheap
    So much history and stuff to see on so many levels its outrageous
    The same applies to Budapest :). As a quick off the top of my head example, a three course meal for two with six beers in a city centre restaurant came to around HUF11,000 (€34).

For stuff to see, Heroes' Square and the House of Terror are both highly recommended. The House of Terror especially although if you're just going for a happy weekend away with the Mrs. it might not be the most appropriate destination for an afternoon.
    Savage night life although its a bit spread out
    That actually really annoyed me when I was there. I had ear-marked a couple of places to go to and it would have been quite an expensive taxi ride there and back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

I've been to both Berlin and Budapest and, unlike everyone else I'm going to recommend Budapest. Berlin just felt too touristy and cold both in terms of temperature and the reception of the natives

I've been to Berlin 4 times and have never had a bad reception from anyone, Everyone was very friendly!.

Yeah its touristy bout with the history of the city thats not surprising. Berlin is a must at least once in your life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'll throw my weight behind Budapest too, spent a week there in May...nice city.

I'd like to know what you folks didn't like about Budapest. Could any of you elaborate?

The same applies to Budapest :). As a quick off the top of my head example, a three course meal for two with six beers in a city centre restaurant came to around HUF11,000 (€34).

For stuff to see, Heroes' Square and the House of Terror are both highly recommended. The House of Terror especially although if you're just going for a happy weekend away with the Mrs. it might not be the most appropriate destination for an afternoon.

That actually really annoyed me when I was there. I had ear-marked a couple of places to go to and it would have been quite an expensive taxi ride there and back.

budapest isnt especially cheap , food is horrible in most places but most of all i just dont like hungarians , they are not nice people and dont even try to hide the fact they see westerners as rip off fodder

Hmm, it appears I missed this reply originally. I guess it probably didn't impact the thread starter one way or the other but what's written below is xenophobic garbage. Take any city in Central or Eastern Europe and you can easily find somewhere serving food you won't like and people who'll try and rip you off when they realise you're a tourist. That's no justification for ripping on Budapest specifically.
    irishh_bob wrote: »
    budapest isnt especially cheap , food is horrible in most places but most of all i just dont like hungarians , they are not nice people and dont even try to hide the fact they see westerners as rip off fodder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cyprusholidays

Never been to any of these places..so first Budapest and from there will jump off to Berlin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Hmm, it appears I missed this reply originally. I guess it probably didn't impact the thread starter one way or the other but what's written below is xenophobic garbage. Take any city in Central or Eastern Europe and you can easily find somewhere serving food you won't like and people who'll try and rip you off when they realise you're a tourist. That's no justification for ripping on Budapest specifically.
    And if you report a post I can deal with it rather than you having a moan...

And if you report a post I can deal with it rather than you having a moan...
    I wasn't having a moan and that user has been sitebanned so I'm not sure how you'd go about dealing with it.

Advertisement