Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lots of emails!

Options
  • 07-11-2011 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Since about 11.55 this morning I've received ~400 "thread update" emails, most of which I've already deleted from my inbox once.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Indeed, same here. My poor inbox is getting spammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,505 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not that many, but same here.

The emails are reported posts/PM notifications/thread updates since last Monday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is a problem at the Boards end or Gmail, but for the last half hour or so I've been receiving emails about reported posts and new PMs, from the last week or more. I'm pretty sure I already received these emails too, so they are being re-sent for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I chose "not a bug" by mistake :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭rameire

its going craazy.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I'm getting the same repeats of mails from the last week it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Mine are coming through now also from 2days ago. Jeez it's amazing how many threads I am subscribed to.

When I see New Private Message though I refresh my link so see, nah, that's been read and replied to, nothing new to see here :pac:

I thought I read somewhere from boardsDanny about a hampster getting ill but is okay though

@Des: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75342264&postcount=7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

That's what you get for being subscribed to email notifications :P

No, onto the serious response. We had a minor hiccup with a new server that resulted in mail getting backed up. Some of this mail was already sent to you from other webservers, but some of it wasn't sent at all. Delayed mail is being sent now rather indiscriminately which is resulting in many people, myself included, getting dupe emails. It's too late to do anything about it now though, the mail has already left our webserver and is making it's way to your inbox, sorry about the hassle caused :o

I hasten to add that it's only a few days worth of mail too, we're not talking mails from September or anything, the new server isn't online that long :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Had exactly 1000 emails in my inbox.

• Advertisement

super-rush wrote: »
    Had exactly 1000 emails in my inbox.

yeah but they don't count when you send them to yourself though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Dont wanna subscribe to this thread for fear of making it worse. Wow. I seem to be getting about 40 emails every half hour or so.
    That's what you get for being subscribed to email notifications

No, onto the serious response. We had a minor hiccup with a new server that resulted in mail getting backed up. Some of this mail was already sent to you from other webservers, but some of it wasn't sent at all. Delayed mail is being sent now rather indiscriminately which is resulting in many people, myself included, getting dupe emails. It's too late to do anything about it now though, the mail has already left our webserver and is making it's way to your inbox, sorry about the hassle caused

I hasten to add that it's only a few days worth of mail too, we're not talking mails from September or anything, the new server isn't online that long
    i was wondering why some of my notification emails weren't coming through
    It might be worth putting a notification on the frontpage or something. Maybe tweeting about it or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Clicks Follow Thread button---->Ticks No email notification Icon---->Clicks Follow Thread button again.

Why anyone wants any of these notifications in the first place is beyond me when you can just log in and click the CP button?

Is their away to follow a Thread by just clicking "Follow Thread" once???

It's a pain having to do it twice.

Everybody has different options as to what way they want to follow - follow with no emails, follow with a daily digest or follow with up-to-the-minute updates. I've daily digests on some threads, but most are no notifications. Two extra clicks isn't going to kill you :)

Is there a way to subscribe to threads, not get emails and be taken to your last post viewed in that thread like the link in the emails? I'd start doing that instead of getting a mountain of emails.

Hmm, the truth is I don't know but in theory it should be possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Is there a way to subscribe to threads, not get emails and be taken to your last post viewed in that thread like the link in the emails? I'd start doing that instead of getting a mountain of emails.
    Kind of. If you go here and set your 'Default Subscription Mode' to be 'No email notification', you can then just use your subscription page to see your subscribed threads and click on firstnew.gif to go to the first new post.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes there is. :)

In the subscriptions list, where a thread has new posts, you will see this friendly little icon firstnew.gif beside the name of the thread. Click this and it will bring you to the newest post since you last viewed that thread - theoretically this is the first post after the last one you read.

Where a thread doesn't have new posts, you can see this icon lastpost.gif in the "Last post" column beside the name of the last poster. This will take you to the last post in that thread.

180743.png

If you use the Boards.ie Beta skin, you get a handy little icon which flashes orange at you whenever there is a new post in one of your subscribed threads. So you don't have to keep checking your subscriptions list for new posts.

Blowfish wrote: »
    Kind of. If you go here and set your 'Default Subscription Mode' to be 'No email notification', you can then just use your subscription page to see your subscribed threads and click on firstnew.gif to go to the first new post.
    perfect

seamus wrote: »
    Yes there is. :)

In the subscriptions list, where a thread has new posts, you will see this friendly little icon firstnew.gif beside the name of the thread. Click this and it will bring you to the newest post since you last viewed that thread - theoretically this is the first post after the last one you read.

Where a thread doesn't have new posts, you can see this icon lastpost.gif in the "Last post" column beside the name of the last poster. This will take you to the last post in that thread.

180743.png

If you use the Boards.ie Beta skin, you get a handy little icon which flashes orange at you whenever there is a new post in one of your subscribed threads. So you don't have to keep checking your subscriptions list for new posts.
    Thanks for that. Been using the beta you described there. Nice little feature and isn't too annoying when it flashes up the top. Thanks for that. think i might have to change all my email notifications just visit that page for updates to threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Bumping this, because I think it might be about to happen again.

I have instant email notifications set up for lots of threads, and I normally click into them straight from the emails. Because I do it this way, when I click into my User CP, the "New Followed Threads" section is always empty. Prior to the last time the flood of emails happened, I had noticed that I occasionally wouldn't get a notification email, I would only see the thread had a new post when I went into the User CP.

The same thing seems to be happening again, so I'm wondering if I can expect another flood of emails any time soon?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

I have had a look at the mail queue on all the webservers and all looks normal. No reason to suspect that this is going to happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,023 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I have had a look at the mail queue on all the webservers and all looks normal. No reason to suspect that this is going to happen again.
    Famous last words hah!

Practically no email alerts coming through to me since mid morning.

Over the last couple of days I have noticed a few alerts missing but thought nothing of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

muffler wrote: »
    Famous last words hah!

You'll notice I studiously avoided saying it isn't going to happen again, I'll only go as far as saying I can see no reason to suspect that it might happen again.

I know, I should go into politics.

Seriously though, email is working, I know because I got notified of your reply by email.

You'll notice I studiously avoided saying it isn't going to happen again, I'll only go as far as saying I can see no reason to suspect that it might happen again.

I know, I should go into politics.

Seriously though, email is working, I know because I got notified of your reply by email.
    You're too honest to be a politician :D

It seems its just me. Logged in a wee while ago and had one email from Boards Deals. Id normally have around 20 so there's something wrong. Would you mind looking into this Paddy?

Thanks

Scratch that Paddy ^ (thats like something you'd say to the wife :))

Found them. I have about 90 or 100 notifications in the spam folder. No idea why or how they ended up there.

Found them. I have about 90 or 100 notifications in the spam folder. No idea why or how they ended up there.

You're not the only one who's experiencing "missing" mail. I'll also ask the other user to confirm they found their way into spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭28064212

You're not the only one who's experiencing "missing" mail. I'll also ask the other user to confirm they found their way into spam.
    Me? No, definitely not into spam. On the other hand, I haven't been seeing any more threads where notifications have gone missing, so may have been a temporary blip

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

your wife is called Paddy?

• Advertisement

LoLth wrote: »
    your wife is called Paddy?
    Since the sex change, yeah.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement