Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard to find landlords willing to accept rent allowance (old thread)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There's capitalism/Market economy at work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

problem for landlords
    they have big expenses having the property anyway,
    with property tax
    bins
    water charges
    insurance
    septic tank charges
    having to keep the building in good stead
    having to keep the appliances up to speck,
    landlord make nothing,
    but if one could find a good tenant, it is worth it, just to keep it heated and lived in.
    then if there is a mortgage on the property, it will not make the payback,
    with most properties in negative equity, the landlord has a big rope keeping him down.
    and i know that good is hard to find,
    not only are you looking for someone who will respect your property, but who will also get along with the landlord, and build a trust with,

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭GGirl2010

Does anyone know of any websites or landlords and housing that allows for rent allowance around dublin under 700p/m or surrounding areas ? I literally can't find any ??

Thanks

GGirl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

GGirl2010 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any websites or landlords and housing that allows for rent allowance around dublin under 700p/m or surrounding areas ? I literally can't find any ??

Thanks

GGirl

I will throw my pennies worth in and say theres no such thing. You would be looking at renting à room at that rate

I will throw my pennies worth in and say theres no such thing. You would be looking at renting à room at that rate

yeah i know they are mostly around 800 + in dublin. Is there any rent allowance housing either?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

yeah i know they are mostly around 800 + in dublin. Is there any rent allowance housing either?

Just have a look at the other thread s on here . Landlords dont want to accept RA tenants to many issues.

Just have a look at the other thread s on here . Landlords dont want to accept RA tenants to many issues.

yes there are many issues with rent allowances , but i just think what with the lack of jobs out there to every person not working they should allow it :(:(:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

yes there are many issues with rent allowances , but i just think what with the lack of jobs out there to every person not working they should allow it :(:(:(

While I sympathise GGirl2010 - the biggest single issue (ignoring everything else) with rent allowance- is the levels are so far below what open market rates are for the areas in question. Rent allowance- would be both accepted- and welcomed by most landlords- if it was set at a fair and reasonable level- compared to open market rates- and payment was in such a manner (i.e. directly to the landlord and not a month in arrears)- that it was able to compete with private renters- which its not.

If/when supply increases- to better reflect demand- perhaps supplies of RA property will also increase.

At the moment- there is just too much that can go wrong with a RA tenancy- over and above a regular private tenancy- aside from the price being too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

https://www.focusireland.ie/our-services/services-in-your-local-area/guide-to-our-services

Dublin
    Advice &
    Info Coffee Shop
    15 Eustace St, Dublin 2
    Tel:
    01 671 2555
    Email:
    dublinadvice@focusireland.ie
    or coffeeshop@focusireland.ie
    Focus
    cafe temple bar ,
    past meeting house square,
    They give a list of flats ,houses that accept rent allowance every day
    cafe open 11.30-3pm every day .

under 700 pm, are you a single person.
    flats on that list are 100 per week approx.
    They go thru all papers ,ads online everyday .

Some area,s the average rent is over the allowed rent allowance limit ,
    so its not really practical to take ra tenants in that area .
    i would not bother looking in dublin 4 for a rent allowance flat.
    IT,S hard to get any flat even for a tenant not on rent allowance, in dublin .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

riclad wrote: »

This is important, since only a couple qualifies for 700/month in Fingal and 750/month in other Dublin local authorities.

• Advertisement

The ad maybe does not mention ra,
    but this would suit professional person , = no ra accepted i presume.

riclad wrote: »
    https://www.focusireland.ie/our-services/services-in-your-local-area/guide-to-our-services

Dublin
    Advice &
    Info Coffee Shop
    15 Eustace St, Dublin 2
    Tel:
    01 671 2555
    Email:
    dublinadvice@focusireland.ie
    or coffeeshop@focusireland.ie
    Focus
    cafe temple bar ,
    past meeting house square,
    They give a list of flats ,houses that accept rent allowance every day
    cafe open 11.30-3pm every day .

flats on that list are 100 per week approx.
    They go thru all papers ,ads online everyday .

Some area,s the average rent is over the allowed rent allowance limit ,
    so its not really practical to take ra tenants in that area .
    i would not bother looking in dublin 4 for a rent allowance flat.
    IT,S hard to get any flat even for a tenant not on rent allowance, in dublin .

thanks for the links i will have a look at them. at the moment I'm looking for a single flat so i wouldnt say there are prices for 400 /500 p/m even for that it would cost probably at least over 600 /700 more

Well i thought you were a couple since you mentioned 700pm,
    i dont know what the limit is now, for a single person ,
    i,d say 500 pm is well over the limit .
    unless you have a child .
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

Dublin - Fingal €300 single person ra limit per month
    Dublin - other local authorities 350 euro

crosscare in cathedraL st off o,connell st dublin 1 , might have the list too .
    its near burger king, o,connell st branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

While I sympathise GGirl2010 - the biggest single issue (ignoring everything else) with rent allowance- is the levels are so far below what open market rates are for the areas in question. Rent allowance- would be both accepted- and welcomed by most landlords- if it was set at a fair and reasonable level- compared to open market rates- and payment was in such a manner (i.e. directly to the landlord and not a month in arrears)- that it was able to compete with private renters- which its not.

If/when supply increases- to better reflect demand- perhaps supplies of RA property will also increase.

At the moment- there is just too much that can go wrong with a RA tenancy- over and above a regular private tenancy- aside from the price being too low.

There's also the issue that if you increase rent allowance to current market rates, you could end up pricing many low wage private sector workers out of the market due to price increases.
    What the council needs to do is start building housing again. Reducing the property tax in Dublin was ridiculous when they were short of money but populist

I Think ra is at least 20 per cent below market rates in most parts of dublin.
    But the government seems to have no wish to increase it ,
    rent allowance was not even mentioned in the budget ,
    even though they are increasing things like medical cards for all young children under 8.
    Regardless of the parents income.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Op been that your single the maximum RA /supplement is €520 pm but you don't actually get 520,

It's €520 minus your minimum weekly contribution of €30 pw

Your rent supplement would be €400 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Gatling wrote: »
    Op been that your single the maximum RA /supplement is €520 pm but you don't actually get 520,

It's €520 minus your minimum weekly contribution of €30 pw

Your rent supplement would be €400 pm

€30 pw is €130 pm

Advertisement