Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband usage excess

• 07-11-2011 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am currently on a 10 GIG package with Eircom which I never exceeded before.
    Since myself and my wife got 2 smart phones in August, we have exceeded the 10 GIG allowance for every month since.

I can't understand this as we don't download anything from the Web and are casual web surfers....

I can see the stats using a Broadband Usage Meter and it says we used 20 Gig in October!

As a test during the weekend gone by, we both switched off the wi-fi option on our phones to see if they were somehow causing the excess usage but the stats are saying we still used over 1 Gig over the weekend with just doing a small bit of web browsing here and there.

I don't think anyone else is using our network as we have it secured.(Maybe someone can still get through that)

Maybe I should change the security key and see what happens...

Any advice welcome....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Change the password, make it long with random characters so that it's hard to crack. Make sure the security type is WPA2 and not WEP.

10GB is nothing these days. A 4 minute HD Youtube clip would be over 100MB alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 icetronix

jor el wrote: »
    10GB is nothing these days. A 4 minute HD Youtube clip would be over 100MB alone.

This! I haven't downloaded anything yet this month but i have streamed alot of 720p/1080p from youtube and twitch.tv and i have already used 68gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

icetronix wrote: »
    This! I haven't downloaded anything yet this month but i have streamed alot of 720p/1080p from youtube and twitch.tv and i have already used 68gig.

Streaming *is* downloading, how else do you think the video gets to your player?

bealtine wrote: »
    Streaming *is* downloading, how else do you think the video gets to your player?
    No sh/t sherlock :rolleyes: , i clearly meant i haven't downloaded any files other then streamed.

No sh/t sherlock :rolleyes: , i clearly meant i haven't downloaded any files other then streamed.

Clearly your understanding of downloading and streaming is lacking.
    Each movie/video clip you watch is downloaded to your computer first.

• Advertisement

bealtine wrote: »
    Clearly your understanding of downloading and streaming is lacking.
    Each movie/video clip you watch is downloaded to your computer first.
    OMFG>.< do you have a grasp of the english language?
    maybe caps will work for you?
    I KNOW STREAMING DOWNLOADS THE MOVIE TO YOUR TEMP FOLDER!!!!!!!!1111111oneone

What i said was, i have only streamed some video and not downloaded any other files and my usage was that high. FFS get of your high horse, not every one on the internet is a tard, although you do seem to counter that statement.

EDIT sry for the derailment! but that guy psses me off.

OMFG>.< do you have a grasp of the english language?
    maybe caps will work for you?
    I KNOW STREAMING DOWNLOADS THE MOVIE TO YOUR TEMP FOLDER!!!!!!!!1111111oneone

What i said was, i have only streamed some video and not downloaded any other files and my usage was that high. FFS get of your high horse, not every one on the internet is a tard, although you do seem to counter that statement.

EDIT sry for the derailment! but that guy psses me off.

No need to be childish

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement