Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF3 Unintentional Drop Shotting.

Options
  • 07-11-2011 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi all,

Quick query to all Battlefield vetrans there and those playing BF3.

Complete noob, coming from years of CoD. Loving the game, but have a question regarding close combat.

When I am in a gun fight with someone close up, my character tends to drop to the ground (unintentionally drop shotting).

Is this just a feature of the game? Not hitting the stick to drop. It's almost like the Xbox knows I'm a noob and jumps to the ground in a panic for me.

I've tried playing on three different controllers in case it was a controller issue.

Ta in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭lahcen86

Controllers for FPS = FAIL. Sorry mate, just can't emulate the actions needed properly i.e. walk,look,aim (twitch aim too) ,crouch,prone,jump with a controller, you need a mouse and keyboard IMO...... if your a big FPS fan throw out that XBOX or PS3 and buy yourself a PC (Cheap as chips these days). Not being sarcastic btw....... just personally I think mouse and keyboard is the only way to play FPS, its not natural to aim a crosshair with a feckin thumb stick, in real life you will use you entire upper body to aim a weapon, at least with a mouse you use your whole arm and therefore have much greater precision and fluidity. Only FPS i liked on console was Golden eye :) and maybe halo if im pushed to think of another....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Typical PC response there, helpful as ever...

I cant say this has happened me before OP...

You must be pressing down too hard on the thumb stick.. there's no other explanation.

Try changing your controls maybe ?... Im not sure if you can change your crouch button but maybe you can.

Chances are though, whatever you assign to the thumb stick will happen..

If so all you can do is Try to be a bit lighter on the controller..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

lahcen86 wrote: »
    Controllers for FPS = FAIL. Sorry mate, just can't emulate the actions needed properly i.e. walk,look,aim (twitch aim too) ,crouch,prone,jump with a controller, you need a mouse and keyboard IMO...... if your a big FPS fan throw out that XBOX or PS3 and buy yourself a PC (Cheap as chips these days). Not being sarcastic btw....... just personally I think mouse and keyboard is the only way to play FPS, its not natural to aim a crosshair with a feckin thumb stick, in real life you will use you entire upper body to aim a weapon, at least with a mouse you use your whole arm and therefore have much greater precision and fluidity. Only FPS i liked on console was Golden eye :) and maybe halo if im pushed to think of another....

Hijacking a thread in an attempt to turn it into another PC vs console rant isn't welcome. I've also heard a co-worker report the same issue, so he's got a valid concern, the answer to which isn't a KB and mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

lahcen86 wrote: »

Leave the poor chap to play how he wants to play. Not saying you're wrong mind :p

OP, I play on PC and haven't noticed anything like that. Do any of your friends see it happening? Could you be mashing the button by mistake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Nantastic wrote: »
    Hi all,

Quick query to all Battlefield vetrans there and those playing BF3.

Complete noob, coming from years of CoD. Loving the game, but have a question regarding close combat.

When I am in a gun fight with someone close up, my character tends to drop to the ground (unintentionally drop shotting).

Is this just a feature of the game? Not hitting the stick to drop. It's almost like the Xbox knows I'm a noob and jumps to the ground in a panic for me.

I've tried playing on three different controllers in case it was a controller issue.

Ta in advance.

hey to say it but its probably an imbedded cod trait with the lie down and shoot brigade sorry but the amount of times I drilled lads from behind for lying down and taking it like a Queen well there 10 a penny :pac:

never new i could make gaming sound so gay :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,197 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The pc has ruined my consoles playing, I just cant use a controller anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Headshot wrote: »
    The pc has ruined my consoles playing, I just cant use a controller anymore :(

Im the opposite.Used to be amazing with a keyboard and mouse back in the COD:UO days...cant shoot for poop now

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Nantastic

Snow Monkey, as said in original post, not doing it intentionally or hitting right stick. Don't do it in CoD.

Thanks replies folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I do this at least 90% of the time. Very very very annoying, and guess what? you cannot customize your controller layout beyond a few basic alterations. I'm really having to think about what i'm doing during a firefight and be careful not to push down on R3 (PS3).

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I had to give up going prone with an LMG and bipod because I do the opposite, keep accidently standing up but that is me pressing the right stick too hard :rolleyes:

Are you really sure your not pressing the right stick subconsciously, its stab in COD so maybe thats what your trying to do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Nantastic wrote: »
    Snow Monkey, as said in original post, not doing it intentionally or hitting right stick. Don't do it in CoD.

Thanks replies folks.

I was having a bath mate meant it intirely with jest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I use an xbox controller with my laptop. I don't have a mouse only a touch pad.

The unintentional drop shoting happens to me too especially after the first few days playing it. I've learned to have a lighter touch on the thumb stick so its not much of a problem now.

As for the layout of the buttons, I prefer the COD layout.

One thing that annoys me is having to keep the left thumbstick pressed to sprint/go faster in vehicles.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The drop-shotting is definitely down to pressing the right-stick.

I nearly threw the controller at the screen last night - I did it three times in a row and got killed each time. I blame COD which lets you mash the stick without consequence when you get over-excited.

Am just hoping I'll be able to kick the habit over time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

profitius wrote: »
    I use an xbox controller with my laptop. I don't have a mouse only a touch pad.

The unintentional drop shoting happens to me too especially after the first few days playing it. I've learned to have a lighter touch on the thumb stick so its not much of a problem now.

As for the layout of the buttons, I prefer the COD layout.

One thing that annoys me is having to keep the left thumbstick pressed to sprint/go faster in vehicles.

How do you do against other PC players on KB/M with the controller? I can't imagine it's a good experience. I use my wireless 360 controller for aircraft. It also seems better for the EOD bot but I can't imagine choosing it over KB/M for anything else.

Is there any variation in thumbstick sensitivity between controllers? Do it get worse with age? I haven't noticed any inadvertent thumbstick presses myself in 360 or PC games I've played with it.

5uspect wrote: »
    How do you do against other PC players on KB/M with the controller? I can't imagine it's a good experience. I use my wireless 360 controller for aircraft. It also seems better for the EOD bot but I can't imagine choosing it over KB/M for anything else.

Is there any variation in thumbstick sensitivity between controllers? Do it get worse with age? I haven't noticed any inadvertent thumbstick presses myself in 360 or PC games I've played with it.

In the last few months playing COD 4 my K/D ratio has been about 2. I've played a few hours of BF3 and my k/d ration is (guessing) about 0.33. Of course I'm still getting used to the game but 1 v 1 I nearly always come off worse than my opponent. :o

My controller is old and the thumb stick click isn't the best. I'd say that has something to do with it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Does BF3 on pc enable aim assist when using a controller on pc?
    If not I don't see how you could compete with m/k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

This is wrecking my head now as well, I have turned the button sensitivity down but still always happens, the same in Killzone as well.

tuxy wrote: »
    Does BF3 on pc enable aim assist when using a controller on pc?
    If not I don't see how you could compete with m/k.

I don't think it does but I'm not sure. I have to check that out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It definitely does not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

profitius wrote: »
    In the last few months playing COD 4 my K/D ratio has been about 2. I've played a few hours of BF3 and my k/d ration is (guessing) about 0.33. Of course I'm still getting used to the game but 1 v 1 I nearly always come off worse than my opponent. :o

My controller is old and the thumb stick click isn't the best. I'd say that has something to do with it too.

There is no way you can ever hope to compete on PC using a controller, I really can't imagine why you would put yourself through that. A cheap usb mouse and your laughing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement