Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

play biting

• 07-11-2011 2:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

Have a year old mongrel and most times you go to pet him he starts play biting. is there any way to knock this out of him.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Eldoco

punch him in them mouth!!!!!!if you dont want him to be biting you are going to need to correct him and let him know what he is doing is not right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

paconnors wrote: »
    Have a year old mongrel and most times you go to pet him he starts play biting. is there any way to knock this out of him.

Thanks

Make a yelp sound, fold your arms and turn your back for a few seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Eldoco wrote: »
    punch him in them mouth!!!!!!if you dont want him to be biting you are going to need to correct him and let him know what he is doing is not right.

Take a week off

Best way, as said is to 'yelp' as high pitched as you can. I generally go 'yeouch!' but high pitched so they stop and turn their head as if to go 'what what happened??'. I tell them 'that hurt' & don't give them attention for a few seconds. Then when I go to play/pet, I say 'now play nice' or 'play gentle' in a firm but not stern tone. (they're just the words/phrases my dogs know, you can come up with whatever works for you)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

That's what I've read, but my pup doesn't seem to care if you yelp, it makes him a bit more excited if anything and he mouths even more. I don't think he got to play with littermates, maybe that's why.
    Anyhoo, I say 'too bad' in a low voice and walk away from him and ignore him for a short time. With some success, but not entirely solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Our rescue dog who is over a year old is the same, now that he is fully integrated into the family he has started to play bite, which is fine when he does it with the other dog but not with the humans.

I tell him to Stop! in a firm voice and turn my back on him until he calms down, it seems to do the trick. Coco doesn't play bite but she does jump up uninvited so we do the same with her when she does this.

That's a good point planetx - not all dogs will respond the same way.
    Everyone needs to find a method that works for them. Sometimes it's trial and error.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

(s)he will care if you stop playing! As soon as you make the yelp sound, turn away and ignore for a few minutes.

I use to make a big dramatic frown & sad face, say no, fold my arms, face away. She generally keeps moving around trying to catch my eye, but I keep turning my back and looking up. Works a charm.
    No when it starts getting rough, I just say "eh!" and she calms down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

planetX wrote: »
    That's what I've read, but my pup doesn't seem to care if you yelp, it makes him a bit more excited if anything and he mouths even more. I don't think he got to play with littermates, maybe that's why.
    Anyhoo, I say 'too bad' in a low voice and walk away from him and ignore him for a short time. With some success, but not entirely solved.

:) 'Too bad' is our bold phrase as well lol! If turning our backs/walking away didn't work the next step was too bad and a time out.
    I think the breed can be factor too - eg labs and retrievers can be mouthy? My guy does it the odd time like if he was really really excited but it's more holding your hand in his mouth for a second but not actually biting. He sits most evenings with a soft toy in his mouth and maybe out of an hour doing it the toy will quack or squeak a couple of times - he rarely bites down hard enough to make it squeak. Apparently they hold stuff like that to smooth themselves lol.
    Another thing would be their age - they start to get a bit mouthy again when they're around 1 and their teething again with their back teeth.OP have you a playmate for him - that's what helped most for our guy - him and his friend would playbite and learn from each other?

Advertisement