Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferring after a semester?

Options
  • 07-11-2011 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

I've heard of people deferring for a year in the middle of their college course, just wondering if anyone knows if this is possible after a semester or would I need to finish the entire year in one go before deferring? I mean could I finish semester 1, take a year out and then continue on with semester 2?

I do enjoy my course, and I know I would come back after that year. Problem is, over the past few months there has just been one crisis after another, and I'm struggling to deal with my own mental and physical health and I'm losing the motivation and enthusiasm I had for college. I've got close family all over the world so getting out of the country for a year wouldn't be a problem and I'm starting to think I'd be better off taking some time out as soon as possible and starting fresh.

If anyone here has deferred, I'd love to know how it worked out for you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

njd2010 wrote: »
    I've heard of people deferring for a year in the middle of their college course, just wondering if anyone knows if this is possible after a semester or would I need to finish the entire year in one go before deferring? I mean could I finish semester 1, take a year out and then continue on with semester 2?

I do enjoy my course, and I know I would come back after that year. Problem is, over the past few months there has just been one crisis after another, and I'm struggling to deal with my own mental and physical health and I'm losing the motivation and enthusiasm I had for college. I've got close family all over the world so getting out of the country for a year wouldn't be a problem and I'm starting to think I'd be better off taking some time out as soon as possible and starting fresh.

If anyone here has deferred, I'd love to know how it worked out for you.

i know a few people who have defered for a year

they found it rewarding very rewarding

not to sure about your situation though all i can recomend is to talk with your course driector they would know the full story .

send them an email and orginise a meeting about the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It can be done and is done. Start by talking to your course leader or head of department. If you have an academic advisor and know where they are, that's actually your best port of call to begin with.

Advertisement