Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best options for web hosting? Also, Wordpress?

Options
  • 07-11-2011 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hey all,

I want to setup a blog and possibly a web site later on. Can anyone recommend some good options for hosting please. I was looking at Eircom but any free hosting services you have had good experience with I would like to know about. Also I am going to build the blog with Wordpress, anyone any experience with that?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

wordpress is very easy to use and is very flexible. You can do a lot with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Sorry folks, we don't allow hosting recommendations on boards.ie because of years of headache associated with it. I'm leaving the thread open so that the OP can get recommendations about blogging software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 web designer meath

Hey Smithy, so no mention of recommendation of hosting; but don't go for anything that's free, it will usually have strings attached or just not a good service.

As for a blogging platform, wordpress do a free blogging platform, otherwise try Google's Blogger - very handy and easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Smithy you can experiment with the free Wordpress thing on their site until you get your hosted Wordpress blog up and running. You definitely made the right decision with Wordpress. Very powerful but straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Wordpress is great but i'd recommend alto to give Tumblr a whirl and see if you like it. It's a blogging system but so much more. A free service. You can also have it front your domain so buy your domain for a tenner and point its DNS A record at tumblr so when someone types [noparse]www.yourdomain.com[/noparse] it is fed by your tumblr content - but not overtly so (it doesn't just forward the url). It essentially looks like your website. Always liked this as an option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 annafalcon

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Wordpress is great but i'd recommend alto to give Tumblr a whirl and see if you like it. It's a blogging system but so much more. A free service. You can also have it front your domain so buy your domain for a tenner and point its DNS A record at tumblr so when someone types [noparse]www.yourdomain.com[/noparse] it is fed by your tumblr content - but not overtly so (it doesn't just forward the url). It essentially looks like your website. Always liked this as an option.
    Tumbrl is good i do agree and there are many other very good blogging systems, but before you will get any of them you have to decide how do you wanna to use your blog? because if it will be just simple personal blog you can use any blogging system and it will be OK, but if you wanna get something more then you will need PRO blogging software and there is nothing better then wordpress on the whole planet. I fell in love with wordpress 2 years ago and i am very happy wordpress user 2 years already, before i was using many other blogging software.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ben Moore

I too would recommend wordpress, check out my site I taught myself how to lmake it in a couple of hours with no html, I think the link should be on my signature or bio thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 annafalcon

Ben Moore wrote: »
    I too would recommend wordpress, check out my site I taught myself how to lmake it in a couple of hours with no html, I think the link should be on my signature or bio thing.
    Yes WordPress is the best choice, if you wanna get PRO blogging system of course. I have visited your blog Ben Moore - i like it.

Advertisement