Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Shepherd pup

• 07-11-2011 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    does anyone know somebody, preferably urban based, who would like an eight month old pedigree black long haired bitch free to a good home? She has chased sheep with a companion and my sister in law, the owner, needs to find ahome asap. She is absolutely beautiful and has all jabs and is IKC reg etc.
    PM me for further details

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Paulownia wrote: »
    Hi,
    does anyone know somebody, preferably urban based, who would like an eight month old pedigree black long haired bitch free to a good home? She has chased sheep with a companion and my sister in law, the owner, needs to find ahome asap. She is absolutely beautiful and has all jabs and is IKC reg etc.

My dogs would chase sheep too, especially the collie cross, she stalks them if we walk past a field of them. But there's a really really simple solution to this problem. Keep them on a lead and don't let them out roaming by themselves. Problem solved. Sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hi,
    Pm me for further details

Can you sister in law not keep her contained properly?? Its not the dogs fault it chases sheep, its up to the owner to train it properly and keep in confined and in a fenced in area, thats what responsible owners do, not rehome the poor dog...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Hi,

My neighbour owns a beautiful GSD and also a flock of sheep and a herd of prize winning cattle. I'd better tell him to get rid of his GSD.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭john t

Hi,
    Paulownia, your better off putting ad on donedeal.ie, it would be a proper internet site for selling and buying as opposed too boards.ie which is only a chat room site.

john t wrote: »
    Paulownia, your better off putting ad on donedeal.ie, it would be a proper internet site for selling and buying as opposed too boards.ie which is only a chat room site.

Worst possible place to advertise your dog. Best thing they can do is actually train the dog and put some work into it and keep it properly contained to stop her from chasing sheep instead of just getting rid of the dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

I thought of that but thought I'd try here too. The problem is that they live on a farm and there are sheep all around. They initially got two sibling bitches and that is part of the problem, apparently you should never have two dogs from the same litter as that causes various problems, but they intend to keep one and train it and find a home for the other.

I thought of that but thought I'd try here too. The problem is that they live on a farm and there are sheep all around. They initially got two sibling bitches and that is part of the problem, apparently you should never have two dogs from the same litter as that causes various problems, but they intend to keep one and train it and find a home for the other.

Well then they need to keep the dogs contained so they cant chase the sheep, its not rocket science.
    Dogs chasing sheep has nothing to do with them being siblings, its because they can get out and chase them as there is nothing stopping them from doing so.

andreac wrote: »
    Well then they need to keep the dogs contained so they cant chase the sheep, its not rocket science.
    Dogs chasing sheep has nothing to do with them being siblings, its because they can get out and chase them as there is nothing stopping them from doing so.

That information came from a professional dog trainer who breeds them, and, how right you are. of course if you keep dogs locked up they cannot chase sheep. I had heard of adult sibling terriers fighting incessantly and a friend of mine who breeds springers as gundogs told me she never keeps two from the same litter for training as it is difficult to train them together.
    I have had three german shepherds one after another and none of them chased sheep after initially being trained no to. These people have had two previously which have not chased sheep either so none of us are as naive or inexperienced as you appear to imagine. Also the idea with family pets is that they are allowed liberty but not allowed to roam. The only reason I have not got one now is that I live in suburbia and I feel it would be unfair to keep a large dog in a small area although I know a lot of people do and see nothing wrong with it. No matter how many hours you spend walking a big dog the best exercise is when they have freedom.

That information came from a professional dog trainer who breeds them, and, how right you are. of course if you keep dogs locked up they cannot chase sheep. I had heard of adult sibling terriers fighting incessantly and a friend of mine who breeds springers as gundogs told me she never keeps two from the same litter for training as it is difficult to train them together.
    I have had three german shepherds one after another and none of them chased sheep after initially being trained no to. These people have had two previously which have not chased sheep either so none of us are as naive or inexperienced as you appear to imagine. Also the idea with family pets is that they are allowed liberty but not allowed to roam. The only reason I have not got one now is that I live in suburbia and I feel it would be unfair to keep a large dog in a small area although I know a lot of people do and see nothing wrong with it. No matter how many hours you spend walking a big dog the best exercise is when they have freedom.

You're talking a load of balls. Frankly. What is your definition of a dog having 'freedom' but 'not allowed to roam'? What does that actually mean?

I have 2 big-ish dogs, my husband is a farmer - ergo I live on a farm. With sheep and cows. My dogs get 3 walks a day, we cover 6 or 7 miles. Other than that they are in the house with me or, on a nice day such a this when I have the patio doors open, they are outside in our enclosed, fully fenced area at the back of the house, which we recently spent 1750 euro on fitting security gates either side of the house, so the dogs couldn't get out. They are only out there if I am in the kitchen and can see them. If I go into another room they are brought inside and the door closed.

It really is as simple as that, if you don't want a dog chasing livestock, don't give it the opportunity to do it, this doesn't mean locking them up 24/7, it just means if they're around livestock keep them on a lead and if you're not around, keep them inside or in a dog run or similar. It's not rocket science. Have these dogs had any training around livestock? Or because the owners previous dogs didn't chase livestock they simply assumed these two wouldn't as well?

Look if they want to rehome a dog it would be better if they were just honest and said they can't cope with two dogs. Get the dog spayed before rehoming her, don't advertise on done deal there are rehoming sections on animal websites including on here and make any potential new owners are vetted to within an inch of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I can actually somewhat see your point. I would hate to have a farm and not be able to allow my dogs off lead around it. Our sheps are similar to collies and other working breeds whose lives revolve around being out and about with us.....not easy if they are chasing sheep.
    I think the reason for rehoming is not the chasing though?? as they are happy to keep one and train it but not both? are they fighting?

siblings do not always cause an issue. for 11 years I had 2 dogs who were siblings and got on just fine.

• Advertisement

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    You're talking a load of balls. Frankly. What is your definition of a dog having 'freedom' but 'not allowed to roam'? What does that actually mean?

I have 2 big-ish dogs, my husband is a farmer - ergo I live on a farm. With sheep and cows. My dogs get 3 walks a day, we cover 6 or 7 miles. Other than that they are in the house with me or, on a nice day such a this when I have the patio doors open, they are outside in our enclosed, fully fenced area at the back of the house, which we recently spent 1750 euro on fitting security gates either side of the house, so the dogs couldn't get out. They are only out there if I am in the kitchen and can see them. If I go into another room they are brought inside and the door closed.

It really is as simple as that, if you don't want a dog chasing livestock, don't give it the opportunity to do it, this doesn't mean locking them up 24/7, it just means if they're around livestock keep them on a lead and if you're not around, keep them inside or in a dog run or similar. It's not rocket science. Have these dogs had any training around livestock? Or because the owners previous dogs didn't chase livestock they simply assumed these two wouldn't as well?

Look if they want to rehome a dog it would be better if they were just honest and said they can't cope with two dogs. Get the dog spayed before rehoming her, don't advertise on done deal there are rehoming sections on animal websites including on here and make any potential new owners are vetted to within an inch of their lives.

I regret that I feel that I must point out that I find your use of language and your attitude to be very uncivil.I'm glad I don't live in a compound with you, you are obviously a very agressive person. Not evertyone has the time to walk six or seven miles a day. Are you sure your husband did not build the stockade to keep you in? Obviously I have fallen on the wrong people. I merely thought that there might be some civilised person on the site who might like a beautiful dog which needs to be homed gratis, and that by mentioning it here I would be talking to german shepherd afficionados. I did not expect to be tiraded by the likes of you but I suppose the internet lends itself to the likes of your behaviour.

If people put more thought into getting dogs, then situations like this wouldnt arise and the poor dogs woudlnt suffer because of it.

The dogs are chasing because they have the opportunity to, not because they are siblings. Honestly, how ridiculous does that sound? Trying to say that they are chasing sheep because they are related...:rolleyes: I hear more and more crap about dogs and their reasons for doing things being blamed on everything BUT the owner, which is nearly always the reason dogs do things that are wrong.

Dogs have instincts and they have to be controlled to prevent some of these from happening, such as chasing sheep. My dog would chase livestock if he got the chance, but i dont allow that situation to ever happen. I work on a stud farm with very expensive horses on it along with cattle and some sheep. He has chased the sheep once and got into a small paddock and chased a horse, so i 100% make sure he will never do it again, as its my responsibility to make sure he doesnt.

People seem to take the easy way out with pet ownership far too often and its getting very annoying and sad as its the poor dogs that suffer because an owner cant do the right thing in the first place:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

If somebody doesn't have time to walk the dog, then they shouldn't have the dog. By law dogs must be kept under effective control, and by the Restricted Breeds law, German shepherds must be kept on a lead no longer than 6 foot, and muzzled when in public.

Dogs are a responsibility, and should be treated as such.

I don't think the fact that these dogs are siblings is the issue with chasing sheep, yes, two siblings shouldn't be brought up together as they tend to bond more with each other than with their human owner, but they are still trainable - if you take the time and effort to train them.

Has your sister-in-law contacted the breeder, if they were bought from a reputable, responsible breeder, it should be in their contract that they have to be returned to them and not sold on. If this isn't the case could I suggest that she contact a local rescue to her who will rehome the dog with a homevisit as part of the package, and a contract to protect the dog in the future. PM me if you would like a recommendation of a very good rescue that deals with GSDs.

I regret that I feel that I must point out that I find your use of language and your attitude to be very uncivil. Damn, I thought my 'use of language' made me sound intelligent and knowing. My attitude always did need some work though, it even says it on my school report.

I'm glad I don't live in a compound with you, you are obviously a very agressive person. Are the two interlinked? I have to be an aggresive person because I live in a compound? I don't by the way.

Not evertyone has the time to walk six or seven miles a day.I know, the joys of unemployed ay?

Are you sure your husband did not build the stockade to keep you in? You have me there, I did have my suspicions 'it's for the dogs honey, honestly' was a bit of a ruse just to keep me in my place

Obviously I have fallen on the wrong people. I merely thought that there might be some civilised person on the site who might like a beautiful dog which needs to be homed gratis, and that by mentioning it here I would be talking to german shepherd afficionados. I see the confusion, might I suggest that next time you might end your original post with 'only civilsed people and/or german shepherd afficionados need reply'

I did not expect to be tiraded by the likes of you but I suppose the internet lends itself to the likes of your behaviour I love the internet for just that purpose, sure what else have I for doing, apart from all the walking.

Happy days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I just scanned the answers, but just in case it hasn't already been said:

I find it disgusting that someone would take two puppies, and decide to get rid of one and keep the other to be trained to behave correctly. What a cruel thing to do to a poor dog, separating her from her family and abandoning her because you can't be bothered to train them both. A dog is a dog, and if you can train one to stop chasing sheep, you can train them both. By law, they're not supposed to be outside if they cannot be controlled, so someone needs to think long and hard about whether or not they deserve any dogs, let alone one out of two.

It's people like that who are to blame for the over-crowded shelters in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    It's people like that who are to blame for the over-crowded shelters in Ireland.

And Global warming, and the clerical sex abuse scandal, also note dear Paulownia, that you my good man are responsible for the ailing economy we now find ourselves immersed in too.:D

A lot of good folks keep an eye on the goings on here, without ranting raving and jumping to all sorts of ridiculous conclusions. I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

The very best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP - there is a dedicated re-homing thread in this forum, you can post your details there minus the phone no. People can contact you by PM if they are interested.

I just want to point out that GSDs are on the restricted breeds list, this means the owner has extra responsibilities that they have to adhere to (every dog has to be confined to the owners property unless accompanied anyway). You should let your sister-in-law know that she could get into a lot of trouble if someone reports her for having these dogs loose, it doesn't matter if there is one or two of them.

Mod Post -
    Can everyone mind the tone they are using in their posts in this thread please.

Just to finish this, may I say that other than the unhelpful comments from so many people who obviously need a forum such as this to work out some of the bile in their systems on other people we has success! I found through this forum a most delightful, insightful and knowlegeable person who this morning came and collected this beautiful dog for themselves and were thrilled with her. A good job well done and my sister in law has made a friend too and we know the dog is in good hands, so it was worth putting up with a lot of rubbish from people who probably were not even born in 1971 when I got my first german shepherd, who came from an animal refuge and who was an adored family pet for many years and the first of three which I have had over the years all of whom were well trained and happy animals. My sincere thanks for those of you who helped me and to the others, well, get yourselves a life if it is not too late!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Just to finish this, may I say that other than the unhelpful comments from so many people who obviously need a forum such as this to work out some of the bile in their systems on other people we has success! I found through this forum a most delightful, insightful and knowlegeable person who this morning came and collected this beautiful dog for themselves and were thrilled with her. A good job well done and my sister in law has made a friend too and we know the dog is in good hands, so it was worth putting up with a lot of rubbish from people who probably were not even born in 1971 when I got my first german shepherd, who came from an animal refuge and who was an adored family pet for many years and the first of three which I have had over the years all of whom were well trained and happy animals. My sincere thanks for those of you who helped me and to the others, well, get yourselves a life if it is not too late!

Hopefully the dog is going to a good home.

Just a pity you couldn't have put more effort into helping train her along with her sibling. I don't believe that two siblings couldn't be trained it would just have been a bigger effort.

You might not like the tone of some posters replies but the majority of posters on this forum care deeply about their pets and hate to hear of dogs having to be rehomed due to lack of effort with containment/training on the owners part. Posts like your original one are all too common and most are from inexperienced owners who have just given up far too easily.

Having a dig at the posters isn't going to make them change how they feel because at the end of the day they/I don't really care about your eloquently worded posts or how much older you may be or how experienced a dog owner you claim to be. I just feel sorry for the dog that has been removed from the home she loved and grew up in because of lack of effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I found through this forum a most delightful, insightful and knowlegeable person who this morning came and collected this beautiful dog for themselves and were thrilled with her. A good job well done and my sister in law has made a friend too and we know the dog is in good hands!

Absolutely delighted to read you had a successful outcome for all involved!
    Sometimes people are very quick to reach a conclusion that suits them, without knowing one whit of the details involved!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

Hi rehome the dog through your nearest dog rescue as they will check out the new owners and they will also make some money, as all rescues are struggling. Also you will prevent the dog ending up in hte wrong hands or prevent him/her being a puppy farm breeding dog.

crally wrote: »
    Hi rehome the dog through your nearest dog rescue as they will check out the new owners and they will also make some money, as all rescues are struggling. Also you will prevent the dog ending up in hte wrong hands or prevent him/her being a puppy farm breeding dog.

I take it you didnt read the whole thread....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

edited: sorry didn't read second page.

Advertisement