Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spare Change

• 07-11-2011 2:45pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have about €160 in lose change.

I asked my bank (AIB) what was the best way to lodge it. I was told I would have to use business services and was given bags to fill. Thing is that I have such an assortment that I wont be able to fill all the bags to the exact amount and AIB wont take them then.

What are the alternatives? I know tesco accept change and will convert it but I assume they take a big percentage for the pleasure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭AmberAmber

just have a " change counting " party !! invite one or two of your friends whom you TRUST to call round and jsut start counting ! i often count bags of coins for people from work and just love counting money ! dont know how i get such a kick off it , some thing nice about all those neet little bags ! haha ! AIB do the best money bags ! very strong ones. then you can bring it to the bank to change into notes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I dont mind counting it. But If I cant fill a big they wont accept it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

godtabh wrote: »
    I dont mind counting it. But If I cant fill a big they wont accept it
    Use it in the self service checkout in Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭AmberAmber

yea its only full bags of same coins you can take in , but if you have 10 cent, 5 cent, 2 cent 1cent, you cant fill , just put a pice of paper in the bag with how much is in the bag and keep it some where safe , so when you have change at the end of the week just add to the bag and update the amount on the pice of paper in the money bag. if its not a full bag of 20c, 50 , 1euro or 2euro , you could spend it or do the same until you make them up to full bags. thats what i do with the copper i have at home , top it up until i have a full bag and then change it at work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What do tesco charge?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I like to just take a fist-full with me when I'm going out, and whenever I have to use a ticket machine - Luas/train/car park etc. use it up that way.

Warning: This method will not be appreciated if there's a long queue behind you and you decide to pay €25 in 5c's.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

You are only going to have one bag of each coin type that is not a complete bag, just keep these bags and add to them as you have change. This wont total much, you can spend the 2 & 1 euro coins that wont fill a bag easily enough, use the self service checkout in Tesco. That just leaves you with broken bags of 50, 20,10, 2 & 1, very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sing_dumb

Jaysus, don't throw your change into those Tesco machine thingy's....they take a collossal clawback. Start counting, it's great fun, especially with the little 1cent coins, 100 of them to fill a 1 Euro bag!!! The girl behind the counter will be delighted to see you, as you slap your rucksack full of bags of monetary shrapnel up in front of her. Make sure it's about lunchtime on a Friday, when the queues are a mile long, and the people behind you are spitting feathers and 6-inch nails coz they are forced to wait while your treasure trove is totted up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Op - just lodge the money. They can't refuse you. Do it in a few goes even.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Even better throw it in the Self-Service checkout, that way they don't take the 10%

i got bags from the bank. I'll count it out and see what i can lodge directly and then the rest will pay for shopping in tesco for a week or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭boxty

Bag up what you have and take it to a business that uses cash, pub, club, cinema, shop. Bank charges for such businesses to get change is extortionate so they will only to happy to swap it for notes. Win win.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

AFAIK if you're lodging it they have to take it, even if it is partial bags. It's only if you want to change it for notes that they insist on full bags.

Advertisement