Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering a complaint

Options
  • 07-11-2011 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm looking for a bit of advice as to where I stand. I lived in rented acommodation with 2 other girls for 2 years. We rented through an agency and to be honest they were horrific to deal with. We had a list of things that needed to be fixed which was handed to the estate agent and follow up calls were made several times. It took months for anything to be done and some things were never fully fixed. For example, the ensuite shower was "fixed" (meaning they re-sealed the same areas) 3 times and never worked the whole time we lived there. The shower in the main bathroom began leaking and was also "fixed" and the kitchen ceiling re-plastered and painted (as it was ruined from the water) and within 2 days a wet spot had reappeared from the shower above. It was never fixed. We also lived for 2 weeks with no heating and no water during the cold in January and was never re-funded money for that. We gave our notice in August that we would not be renewing our contract (expired at the end of August) and were told that it would be fine. I handed our keys back at the beginning of September and was told there would be no problem with getting our deposit back (estate agent had seen the house in February). By mid-October we had rang several times and not seen a penny of the deposit. By now, our estate agent is ignoring our calls/messages. One of the other girls rang the estate agent and was told that the money would be in the account by last Friday. As of today, the money still isn't in. So, do I have a leg to stand on if I contact PRTB?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

THey should be quicker on the deposit but agencies are notorious for taking their time.
    Some things are in the nature of the problem. Leaking showers etc... somethimes just don't fix easy. You fix the problem to discover the leak is somewhere else. The shower might not have been originally installed incorrectly so the base moves casuing the leak again.
    The fact they got somebody down to fix it is really all they can do. What can they do? They hired somebody to repair something they say it is fixwed and then the problem returns. They tell the guy to fix it properly and it still remains.
    If you had no water what happened? Was the area out just your house or do you mean there was no hot water? It took me a week to get somebody to fix my heating last year and that was a friend after every plumber I normally used was up to their eyes.

What it will really come down to is did they try to meet their obligations but circumstances prevented it from happeing. If you ever had to deal with trademen you would find they are very unreliable to plan with. They are late, don't turn up on the right day and never turn up. Been doing this years and still can't figure it out. Wating two weeks now for a guy to install a door he said he would be able to do it the next day

Sometimes you just have to accept what within your control or others

• Administrators Posts: 53,803 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think the landlord's attitude matters though in these sort of situations.

If it's going to take longer to fix then fine, but at least phone the tenant and be sympathetic and explain to them that you are trying your best to get it fixed.

If it comes across as you just not being bothered then that's no good.

In the case of a leaking shower I don't see why that cannot be fixed the first time. The plumber involved should take their time to fully investigate the problem. Undoubtedly it'd cost a landlord more to call out a plumber twice than for him to do the job right first time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jerri Jordan

I think over half the country were without water last winter and in some cases heating also if pipes were frozen. I myself was in a rented cottage with no water. I dont think your entitled to a refund.
    Im renting in Co Clare at the moment (im also a landlady), shower leaks are very hard to pinpoint. I have just moved into a new house in the last month. we had a shower leak (It was there before we moved in as there was discolouration on the ceiling in the kitchen) and it took 2 trys to get it rectified. The landlord was very accomadating. I painted the ceiling myself once it had dried out as a courtesy.
    You should however be getting your deposit back, I would personally call in to the letting agent today and refuse to budge until you get answers and your deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

The deposit thing. Again.
    Agencies and landlords will hold onto a deposit until an ex-tenant gives up.
    (not all landlords are bastards disclaimer)

The PRTB will make you cry with slowness and agencies and landlords know that.
    You gave up the keys and left the property without the deposit. This handed over the balance of power in the relationship.
    Phonecalls will be ignored and treated with disdain.
    Get in their faces.
    Physically turn up at the office of this estate agent and demand your money.
    Please do not drop it even if you do go the PTRB route. Get your money or you are just encouraging them to continue this now ubiquitous action.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

awec wrote: »

In the case of a leaking shower I don't see why that cannot be fixed the first time. The plumber involved should take their time to fully investigate the problem. Undoubtedly it'd cost a landlord more to call out a plumber twice than for him to do the job right first time round.
    I can tell you it is not any easy fix as it is pretty tough to pinpoint where the water is getting through . It normally doesn't cost any more as you pay them to fix the problem not to call out and try to fix the problem. It only costs money when you call out a different plumber.

LL are not magic and can't solve the problems of dealing with tradesmen. It is really just inexperienced people who think it easy. Experiement try to get 3 plumbers to call down and give a quote for a job you'll be lucky if one will turn up and they probably won't be on time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sammi503 wrote: »
    By mid-October we had rang several times and not seen a penny of the deposit. By now, our estate agent is ignoring our calls/messages.
    Pop down to their offices with a billboard and a bell that goes DANG-A-LANG-DANG-DANG. Ensure you look well. Not a suit as such, but that you don't look scuffy. Photographable :pac: A bit of bell ringing will get you one of two things: your story in the local rag about the EA owing you money (imagine someone tipped them off, oh dear :pac:), or your deposit back. If you know someone with a camera, get them to stand across the road. Any bully tactics of phyiscal harassment, have it all recorded so it can go onto youtube.

Advertisement