Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of phone cable splitter do I need?

Options
  • 07-11-2011 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I have an ADSL modem/router connected to my phone line through a cable that goes from my hall where the phone socket is, to my front room into the back of the router, where I have my PC connected by LAN cable to the router also.
    I bought a Skype phone for the house recently which also needs the phone line, and the router (by LAN cable), but the cables provided are kinda short, so I'm trying to just have the one cable that goes from the socket into the front room, and then have it split in two, one for the modem and the other for the Skype DECT transmitter

So tl;dr: I want a long phone cable (around 8m) that splits into two shorter sections with sockets on one end, can I buy one or do it myself easily? :)

RZpV2.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You are not recommended to use longer than a 1m cable to the dsl router from the main socket, this is what Eircom provide you with and all they will support. Longer distances will cause problems on the line.

You can run longer lan and phone cables from the router and the main socket, but make sure all phone cables are filtered, split the phone cable after the line out to the router (rj11 splitter in 1st image) and put a single phone filter on each outlet cable.

376748105_483.jpg
    86249webd1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

That "1-male to 2-female" splitter isn't what I'm looking for, I was thinking more like a "1-female to 2-male" one, the idea is I don't have to drag two cables around the walls, only one, cable management!

And I've used a really long cable (I'd say it's over 10m) to my DSL modem for years with no issues, it's also not an Eircom modem, I have a Linksys wireless-N modem/router I bought myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

BopNiblets wrote: »
    That "1-male to 2-female" splitter isn't what I'm looking for, I was thinking more like a "1-female to 2-male" one, the idea is I don't have to drag two cables around the walls, only one, cable management!

And I've used a really long cable (I'd say it's over 10m) to my DSL modem for years with no issues, it's also not an Eircom modem, I have a Linksys wireless-N modem/router I bought myself

How are your line stats? Maybe your router is working overtime trying to keep you dialled in when it could be using those cpu cycles to do faster routing or better QOS. More than 1m is not recommended.

Why not take this opportunity to properly cable your house with cat5, you will need it in future. Run a few cat5's from the router to the pc and stick ethernet sockets on the end. An rj11 will fit in a standard rj45 ethernet socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 No1_Monkey

Why not just cut the cable thats connecting the DSL to the router at the moment and terminate it onto an RJ11 modular box.
    Then put a splitter into the modular box and have one cable going to the router and the other to Skype?

Advertisement