Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westlife - Croke Park - June 2012

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I do think they will unite in a few years maybe even all 5 of them they know fans will love it so more money for them

Well according to this, it is certainly within the realms of possibility.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/0719/westlife.html

Regardless of whether they will be a five again, a reunion in the future as you say will more than likely be a cash-in, to make as much money as they can from the fans that were speculating for years about a comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

The Wanted like One Direction have been able to crack the US so they will be around for awhile

Simon Cowell was thanked by them and he dropped them surely Brian deserved a shout out from the four lads imo

I do think they will unite in a few years maybe even all 5 of them they know fans will love it so more money for them

Brian was mentioned. During Kian's speech, he called out to Brian, thanked him for all the love and for all the time he spent with the band.

And as for KaraokeMan's link, that's dated July 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Diamond_Ninja

I think the thing is, if you're not a big Westlife fan, you wouldn't have enjoyed it. My friend, who isn't a huge fan, didn't enjoy it either. I, however, loved every second of Westlife and cried on and off throughout the show, have been a massive fan since I was 7 years old they were a massive part of my youth!

Before I arrived I was thinking that I could do without seeing The Wanted and I was right, tried to make it their concert and they were terrible, who even are they?

Even though they're not the greatest singers in the world (understatement?), I was really shocked that Jedward mimed, one of them sounded like they had a sore throat but still took me by surprise. John singing on his own was brilliant though have to say!

Delighted I went Saturday instead of Friday, just wouldnae have been the same :D

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I'm wouldn't consider myself a fan (I won free tickets) and I have to say I really enjoyed it. They put on a great show and reminded me of how many hits they had!

I did find the medley a bit crigey tho. THE DANCE MOVES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

Avox wrote: »
    Stage times released above are seemingly wrong as Westlife have been on stage with 10/15 mins already :) Can't wait now. :D:D

Which times were you reading cos I posted times that were on Mrs. Filans twitter and they were exact on at the concert I was at. Except the Saturday Westlife finished after 11 instead of 11.50!
    Dont worry they will be back in a few years on the reunion tour

I for one will be front row again when it happens can't wait :)

I went as a concert fan so didn't see the concert through Westlife tinted glasses so gave my honest opinion of the gig.

Was a dreadful concert.

Way too much talkin' and way to many video clips as well at it.

The fact it was identical to the last concert at Croker too a few years back shows the lack of imagination in the band as well.
    Welcome to a Westlife concert! You must have been at a different Croker gig a few years back to the one I was at because the one I was at in 2010 wasn't the same as last weekends one :/
    And with regards to McFadden he sent out love through Twitter by saying

"Sending love to my four brothers and there end of era gigs love you forever and so proud of what you and we achieved. Go out with a bang"

None of Westlife acknowledged it.
    Actually I think you'll find it was acknowledged on twitter by Kian and that even made the papers on Sunday!
    karaokeman wrote: »
    I agree with most of what you say, barr the Take That comment. I never said Westlife compared to Take That, I was using it as an analogy to show Take That for their song writing, changing varieties in shows, progression in their music are vastly superior to Westlife. Take That were better than Westlife were when they started off in 1998 and still are to this day. I know that having seen Westlife and Take That in both their four piece and five piece forms live.
    There's no comparison with Westlife and Take That except that they are both male pop bands. How many consecutive number ones did Take That have when they first started? Westlife have also written their own songs in the past and Kian even plays guitar and piano
    karaokeman wrote: »
    Agree too with the part about Bryan, the most talented member in the group who was shun out for wanting what was best for their music, and that was a change from ballad-type pop songs, sadly never happened, but that doesn't matter any more as their 14 years end tonight.
    Bryan was so talented he had/has a failed pop career?! Don't get me wrong he was my favourite member of westlife when he was in it cos at the time he brought the funny but at the concerts I was at his funny was bad rude funny where Nicky seemed to take over the funny role and his funny was more polite funny than Bryan's. Also the concerts have got a million times better since Bryan left the band as well.
    Just on the way home now from arguably the worst concert I've ever been to.Westlife were absolute garbage!!
    Arguably being the most important word there. It's your opinion.
    Basically the exact same show as the last time they were in Croke Park and even sang the same songs by other artists like I Gotta Feeling and Sex On Fire and then there was them wasting 10 to 15 minutes on shoutouts.Yawn!!!
    This actually made me lol. Firstly it wasn't exactly the same medley although two songs were the same as Croker 2010. Secondly it was deliberately done that way because they asked fans to vote on their favourite medley songs from over the past 14 years and the medley was made up of the songs the fans voted as their favourites. Since it was the farewell tour it was the best of the medley as well if you like hence it having some of the same songs. lol
    Went with hope of seeing the only true talent ever in the band Bryan McFadden turn up but alas he never did.
    Why would Bryan McFadden show up he hasn't been part of Westlife since 2004?! :/

I for one thought the concert was fab. Friday night was slightly better than Saturday I thought but both were excellent. They just keep getting better and better as time goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

petals wrote: »
    Friday night was slightly better than Saturday I thought but both were excellent.
    You went to both ? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

@ Petals

I couldn't be bothered multi quoting all you said.

It was without a doubt the worst concert I have ever been too.As you say it's my opinion.

And in my opinion it was practically the same as last time.

I should of said practically for the people who over analyse what other people say like you

I wouldn't know the ins and outs of fan votes but know what I saw and it was practically the same.

Christ it was 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.

They were absolute muck and all the talking and shoutouts were bland and boring.

And seriously anyone who thinks they won't reform in a few years needs their head testing.

None of them has what it takes to be a star in their own right.

dodzy wrote: »
    You went to both ? :eek:
    Yeah?! It was actually my third time seeing them this year because I saw them in Manchester as well. Every concert is different though like in Manchester they had a big flying globe type thing that they sat on and came out over the audience down to the back of the hall. In Croke Park they changed that to the small center stage.
    On Friday night in Croke Park they had the kids and their parents on stage and speeches and banter was different. Saturday they kept it straight forward no special bits like kids and that but they had their goodbye speeches as well plus again banter and posters etc different.
    Actually went cinema last night to see it again. Such a good concert.
    @ Petals

I couldn't be bothered multi quoting all you said.

It was without a doubt the worst concert I have ever been too.As you say it's my opinion.

And in my opinion it was practically the same as last time.

I should of said practically for the people who over analyse what other people say like you

I wouldn't know the ins and outs of fan votes but know what I saw and it was practically the same.

Christ it was 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.

They were absolute muck and all the talking and shoutouts were bland and boring.

And seriously anyone who thinks they won't reform in a few years needs their head testing.

None of them has what it takes to be a star in their own right.

ROTFLMAO! Of course there was going to be similarities in Croke Park 2010 and Croke Park 2012 they were doing a best of Westlife tour this year like!

I can't wait for the reform. I will be front row of those going welcome back :)

As for the shout-outs you would have to be a fan to get most of what they were saying I think but it meant something to those who put the time in follow and support them for 14 years!

Thanks for the dig but one negative opinion out of 85000 people isn't going to do them any harm and I've a feeling that they'll do alright in whatever ventures they go to next because their own fans will follow them no matter what. You obviously felt enough about the concerts to feel the need to post on a public forum about them anyways :)

For the record though set list for concert in croker in 2010 complete with robot, roses, bouncing balloons, many other tricks and special tribute to parents that had passed away was:
    01. Where We Are
    02. What About Now
    03. When You're Looking Like That
    04. My Love
    05. Uptown Girl
    06. Swear It Again (acapella)
    07. Mandy
    08. If I Let You Go (mixed with 'All Out Of Love')

09. Shadows
    10. Home
    11. I'm Already There
    12. Reach Out

13. I Gotta Feeling
    14. Halo
    15. How To Break A Heart
    16. The Boys Are Back In Town (Kian playing guitar)
    17. Sex On Fire

18. What Makes A Man
    19. Unbreakable
    20. Flying Without Wings
    21. World Of Our Own

22. I'll See You Again
    23. You Raise Me Up

Set list for Croker 2012 with fireworks and streamers was:

1: What About Now
    2. What Makes A Man
    3. My Love
    4. Safe

5. Uptown Girl
    6. If I Let You Go
    7. Queen of my heart
    8. Ain't That a Kick in the Head

9. I Gotta Feeling
    10. Sex On Fire
    11. Don't Cha
    12. Let Me Entertain You
    13. Bohemian Rhapsody

14. When You're Looking Like That
    15. Mandy
    16. Seasons in the Sun
    17. Swear It Again
    18. Home
    19. You Raise Me Up

20. World Of Our Own
    21. Flying Without Wings

Yeah?! It was actually my third time seeing them this year because I saw them in Manchester as well. Every concert is different though like in Manchester they had a big flying globe type thing that they sat on and came out over the audience down to the back of the hall. In Croke Park they changed that to the small center stage.
    On Friday night in Croke Park they had the kids and their parents on stage and speeches and banter was different. Saturday they kept it straight forward no special bits like kids and that but they had their goodbye speeches as well plus again banter and posters etc different.
    Actually went cinema last night to see it again. Such a good concert.

ROTFLMAO! Of course there was going to be similarities in Croke Park 2010 and Croke Park 2012 they were doing a best of Westlife tour this year like!

I can't wait for the reform. I will be front row of those going welcome back :)

As for the shout-outs you would have to be a fan to get most of what they were saying I think but it meant something to those who put the time in follow and support them for 14 years!

Thanks for the dig but one negative opinion out of 85000 people isn't going to do them any harm and I've a feeling that they'll do alright in whatever ventures they go to next because their own fans will follow them no matter what. You obviously felt enough about the concerts to feel the need to post on a public forum about them anyways :)

For the record though set list for concert in croker in 2010 complete with robot, roses, bouncing balloons, many other tricks and special tribute to parents that had passed away was:
    01. Where We Are
    02. What About Now
    03. When You're Looking Like That
    04. My Love
    05. Uptown Girl
    06. Swear It Again (acapella)
    07. Mandy
    08. If I Let You Go (mixed with 'All Out Of Love')

09. Shadows
    10. Home
    11. I'm Already There
    12. Reach Out

13. I Gotta Feeling
    14. Halo
    15. How To Break A Heart
    16. The Boys Are Back In Town (Kian playing guitar)
    17. Sex On Fire

18. What Makes A Man
    19. Unbreakable
    20. Flying Without Wings
    21. World Of Our Own

22. I'll See You Again
    23. You Raise Me Up

Set list for Croker 2012 with fireworks and streamers was:

1: What About Now
    2. What Makes A Man
    3. My Love
    4. Safe

5. Uptown Girl
    6. If I Let You Go
    7. Queen of my heart
    8. Ain't That a Kick in the Head

9. I Gotta Feeling
    10. Sex On Fire
    11. Don't Cha
    12. Let Me Entertain You
    13. Bohemian Rhapsody

14. When You're Looking Like That
    15. Mandy
    16. Seasons in the Sun
    17. Swear It Again
    18. Home
    19. You Raise Me Up

20. World Of Our Own
    21. Flying Without Wings

Jesus talk about takin' life and my comments way too seriously.

It was the exact same layout as the previous concert I was at for them at Croke Park.Of course the set list was gonna be different.Doesn't stop it from bein' rubbish concert.

And 85000???Not a hope in hell.Lots of emptys seats especially in the Davin Stand.

And there was lots more than me who thought it was rubbish.It's just that I wanted to share my experience with the Boards world. :cool:

Jesus talk about takin' life and my comments way too seriously.

It was the exact same layout as the previous concert I was at for them at Croke Park.Of course the set list was gonna be different.Doesn't stop it from bein' rubbish concert.

And 85000???Not a hope in hell.Lots of emptys seats especially in the Davin Stand.

And there was lots more than me who thought it was rubbish.It's just that I wanted to share my experience with the Boards world. :cool:

Oh you're so funny.
    I'm not takin your comments to seriously. Not to bothered really I'm just replying on a public forum about a band that I've supported for 14 year.

My point with the setlists is your claim it was practically the same concert both years and yet the setlists were different as well as the tricks etc etc so obviously not practically the same concert.

There are four sections around the stand that never get sold out doesn't mean there was 85000 people there. Were you standing counting everyone as they went in? Doubtful but I presume when they said 80000 friday and 85000 saturday they're going off ticket sales rather than how many empty seats.

So you felt enough to try deter people from going to the concert of a band that have broken up again?! go you!

• Advertisement

Oh you're so funny.
    I'm not takin your comments to seriously. Not to bothered really I'm just replying on a public forum about a band that I've supported for 14 year.

My point with the setlists is your claim it was practically the same concert both years and yet the setlists were different as well as the tricks etc etc so obviously not practically the same concert.

There are four sections around the stand that never get sold out doesn't mean there was 85000 people there. Were you standing counting everyone as they went in? Doubtful but I presume when they said 80000 friday and 85000 saturday they're going off ticket sales rather than how many empty seats.

So you felt enough to try deter people from going to the concert of a band that have broken up again?! go you!

Am laughing here.

Why would I wanna deter people from going to see a band that are broken up???

Your coming across as abit lame now.

And it's you who said there was 85000 there even though alot of the middle of the davin stand and other sections were empty or near empty.

Just gave my opinion that they were awful.Sorry I hurt your feelings. :cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

To be fair, I don't think anyone with a ticket would be deterred by one bad review on a forum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,635 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I expected better I have been to a few of their concerts and I thought this was the worst one ever tbh, I went on Friday and for the the price of the ticket and merchandise total rip off :mad: I cant blame anyone I was the idiot who bought the sh*te for myself and my nieces

Am laughing here.

Why would I wanna deter people from going to see a band that are broken up???

Your coming across as abit lame now.

And it's you who said there was 85000 there even though alot of the middle of the davin stand and other sections were empty or near empty.

Just gave my opinion that they were awful.Sorry I hurt your feelings. :cool::cool:
    What's really laughable is from the time I started responding to your comments your replies all have at least one dig at me personnally rather than the band. eg: above you thinking you hurt my feelings?
    How exactly would you have hurt my feelings? I'm not bothered whether you or anyone else likes Westlife or not. Westlife have used the same format for their show for years because it works for them and fans like it and they always put on an enjoyable show with not a stool in sight plus they dance. Fine the dance moves may be a bit cheesey but there was a time way back when when westlife and dance didn't go in the one sentence!
    I've seen the pictures of the crowds in Croke Park and that's considering how much people slag them off that was a hell of alot of people there two nights in a row for those four little Irish boys.
    It doesn't matter that there was one of two empty seats here or there or the same four sections that are never sold at the concerts were not sold again. Honestly who would want to be in Davin stand you'd be better in the car-park like! It wasn't me that said there was 85000 people I believe that was Kian on Saturday night. He said on Friday there was 80000.
    lizt wrote: »
    To be fair, I don't think anyone with a ticket would be deterred by one bad review on a forum!!
    I honestly don't think so either. I've seen very very few negative comments about the concerts.

I expected better I have been to a few of their concerts and I thought this was the worst one ever tbh, I went on Friday and for the the price of the ticket and merchandise total rip off :mad: I cant blame anyone I was the idiot who bought the sh*te for myself and my nieces

I felt the same to be honest during it.Really bad waste of money.

What's really laughable is from the time I started responding to your comments your replies all have at least one dig at me personnally rather than the band. eg: above you thinking you hurt my feelings?
    How exactly would you have hurt my feelings? I'm not bothered whether you or anyone else likes Westlife or not. Westlife have used the same format for their show for years because it works for them and fans like it and they always put on an enjoyable show with not a stool in sight plus they dance. Fine the dance moves may be a bit cheesey but there was a time way back when when westlife and dance didn't go in the one sentence!
    I've seen the pictures of the crowds in Croke Park and that's considering how much people slag them off that was a hell of alot of people there two nights in a row for those four little Irish boys.
    It doesn't matter that there was one of two empty seats here or there or the same four sections that are never sold at the concerts were not sold again. Honestly who would want to be in Davin stand you'd be better in the car-park like! It wasn't me that said there was 85000 people I believe that was Kian on Saturday night. He said on Friday there was 80000.

I honestly don't think so either. I've seen very very few negative comments about the concerts.

There was alot more than one or 2 empty seats in the middle of the davin stand but I agree that your better off watchin' it on dvd or at the cinema that watchin' 4 dots on stage.

Fair deuce to all the success they had but it doesn't stop the fact it was an awful performance by them.

Simply anyone who was down with them since the start seems to think they were great.

But I was and wasn't wearing Westlife tinted glasses as I said earlier and they truly were terrible.

Am pissed off with myself for wasting my time and money to see such a crap concert but it's lesson learned. :)

There was alot more than one or 2 empty seats in the middle of the davin stand but I agree that your better off watchin' it on dvd or at the cinema that watchin' 4 dots on stage.

Fair deuce to all the success they had but it doesn't stop the fact it was an awful performance by them.

Simply anyone who was down with them since the start seems to think they were great.

But I was and wasn't wearing Westlife tinted glasses as I said earlier and they truly were terrible.

Am pissed off with myself for wasting my time and money to see such a crap concert but it's lesson learned. :)
    I didn't say there was only one or two empty seats I said there was two sections at the back and two sections at the two sides of the stage that they never sell for some reason and these were the only large no people areas I saw.

Again all just one persons opinion. You thought it was crap I thought it was fantastic. I probably would hate a concert by the band you like. Hence the reason the only people I'll spend my money on are Westlife!

Still and all considering the fact it lashed rain from about 6 until they finished that is an awful lot of people that waited out a concert until the end:
    389098_10151712614862662_1880416580_n.jpg
    If it was me and I didn't enjoy it as much as you I wouldn't have wasted my time staying esp since I was on pitch standing in the middle of thousands of people getting soaked!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

Is that the view from the davin stand.:eek:
    Wow. Note to self: don't ever get tickets that far back.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Diamond_Ninja

389098_10151712614862662_1880416580_n.jpg

That freaks me out, we were right at the barriers for the Golden Circle, reckon if I'd seen that picture on Sat I'd have passed out haha :D

Im not sure if that picture is from this year's concert. I was in the golden circle and it definitely wasn't that crowded. I know Shane retweeted it but to me it looks more like the first concert they did in croke park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 StarryBright

lizt wrote: »
    Im not sure if that picture is from this year's concert. I was in the golden circle and it definitely wasn't that crowded. I know Shane retweeted it but to me it looks more like the first concert they did in croke park.

Did you manage to get to the cinema for the encore on Tuesday? It's definately this years concert. Photo actually looks very similar to some of the shots on the big screen. The crowds looked crazy on the big screen.

• Advertisement

mark1974 wrote: »
    Is that the view from the davin stand.:eek:
    Wow. Note to self: don't ever get tickets that far back.
    to me that looks more like the view from back of Cusick stand is Davin not the one at the very back so picture would be more centred this seems like it's to the side a little.

Did you manage to get to the cinema for the encore on Tuesday? It's definately this years concert. Photo actually looks very similar to some of the shots on the big screen. The crowds looked crazy on the big screen.

No I didn't bother because I was at the concert on Saturday. I suppose my view was very different from the golden circle anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Syndic

That isn't this year's gig. From 2010 I think...

Bad pic of this year;

imagefromurl?size=medium&url=http%3A%2F%2Flockerz.com%2Fs%2F220235078

Syndic wrote: »
    That isn't this year's gig. From 2010 I think...

Bad pic of this year;

imagefromurl?size=medium&url=http%3A%2F%2Flockerz.com%2Fs%2F220235078

Yeah I knew it wasn't this year. It's definitely the first year they did in Croke Park because the second year the golden circle was split down the middle.

My bad never noticed the stage top missing. It's from 2008 but whether it's from 2008 or 2012 it's still an amazing amount of people at Westlife no? The pictures from this year don't look much different from that and from reading the thread Concert King is shouting Petals down on numbers because of there being empty sections. Does it really make that much difference Concert King? There were thousands of people there waiting in the rain for the biggest send off party of the weekend in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Tuhula

That picture is this year - of course you cant see the stage top - its nighttime versus day time!!

Tuhula wrote: »
    That picture is this year - of course you cant see the stage top - its nighttime versus day time!!

It's definitely not. The gap between standing and golden circle was much bigger this year.

Advertisement