Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

west country good value store heifers

• 07-11-2011 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

what marts in the west would be best to buy store heifers for feeding -would want a good number 2 cover lorry cost -south east thanks~

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Hi Gorey,

What kind of stock are you looking for - breed, weight, age etc?
    Plenty of good marts with good stock in the West (i am biased ;));
    Headford, Tuam, Athenry, Gort, Balla, Ballinrobe etc
    Would it pay you to travel that distance - stock are not cheap here?
    What benefit do you see in west stock?

CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Hi Gorey,

CC

You forgot Ennis. Probably one of the biggest marts in the country with mainly suckler bred stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

You forgot Ennis. Probably one of the biggest marts in the country with mainly suckler bred stock.

Hey Red;

That’s not u being biased is it? ;):p
    I did say I was biased; ;)
    all listed would be local to me; support local farmers etc!

are stock still trading well your side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I find it hard to believe that there is any great difference in price across the country, not when you factor in transport costs etc. If there was, there's plenty of dealers out there, willing to jump in and take advantage of any price gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭countygorey

Hi Gorey,

CC
    500kg + , might not pay just wondering stock seem to be dear all over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Ring up Maam Cross mart and see what they've got booked in, Clifden I think is winding down at the moment, but there was two trucks there last week, one with a trailer. They're never mentioned on the Journal etc. The cattle sale in Maam Cross is usually on a Monday (evening I think) and Clifden is on Friday.

thanks

hard frost in wexford to night 12 ha of potatoes in the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

been to maam a few times when i lived in galway. thought they were sorriest looking cattle i ever seen. clifden brings in some decent enough animals. bought there a few times and they always thrived well when you put them on any sort of half reasonable ground.

when you put them on any sort of half reasonable ground.is wat i am after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Tuam mart on Mondays usually has a good supply of forward store heifers. ring mart manager Marion 093 24353 to check whats booked in

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mallethead

I buy in the Elphin
    They are dearer down the west , but i think the quality of the animal is better not the place to buy cheap store heifers
    i would be buying mostly springers or maiden heifers and
    I travel from wicklow
    If i'm going that far i buy as good an animal as i can
    There are a lot more blues there than up our way
    But you will get some great charolais cross heifers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Hey Red;

That’s not u being biased is it? ;):p
    I did say I was biased; ;)
    all listed would be local to me; support local farmers etc!

are stock still trading well your side?

If anything they have gone up again the last fortnight. Went to gort last week with the intention of buying a few heifers and came home with nothing. You couldnt get a finger in. Kilfenora was crazy aswell last week. Hopefully it will hold up though. Its about time people are making a resonable margin out of their stock. Of course im biased, Sure who wouldnt be:D. I think value is in the buyers eyes. I was talking to a man who spent years jobbing in cattle there a week ago and he was down around waterford or wexford and he just went into one of the marts down there for the look. Nearly all friesen bred stock he said. I was talking to him in the mart in ennis and similar type cattle came in and he reckoned they would have made a hundred quid more easy in the mart he was in down the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

mallethead wrote: »
    I buy in the Elphin
    They are dearer down the west , but i think the quality of the animal is better not the place to buy cheap store heifers
    i would be buying mostly springers or maiden heifers and
    I travel from wicklow
    If i'm going that far i buy as good an animal as i can
    There are a lot more blues there than up our way
    But you will get some great charolais cross heifers

You pick a good place. Around here, the best of your cattle are sold in Elphin, the rest are brought to the other marts. Its a good mart which is renouned for quality animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Ennis mart for sure, massive sale on again today.
    Good Guaranteed supply, plenty of buyers and its within a mile of the M7 motorway
    Easy

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mallethead

Also meant to say
    the people working there couldn't be more helpfull especaily when
    they hear two head the balls have travelled from wicklow to buy there .
    Even when we bought more than we could bring home the night of the sale they looked after them in the livery for a few days until we went back for them

thanks

Advertisement