Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House insurance in Turloughmore

Options
  • 07-11-2011 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi,

I am in process of buying house in Turloughmore. It is miles away from flooding area but I cannot get house insurance for flooding. Can anyone recommend a comany that covered them in this area.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

FBD have covered a lot of houses in the area. Who did you contact and what was the reason for not providing you with flood cover if the area was not affected by the flooding in 2009?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Parents have FBD insurance.
    Very few areas flood and are well documented, so you should have no problem being well away from those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

Thanks for your replies. I contacted 123.ie and Turloughmore flashed as a flood area and he said that I couldn't be covered for flooding.

The area iss Laraghmore.I am just wondering though, some people give an address of Laraghmore, Ballyglunin annd others Laraghmore Turloughmore. I wonder does that make a difference. AIB didn't even ask about flooding.

There was never any flooring in teh area where the house is as it is up on a height.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

darabbit wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies. I contacted 123.ie and Turloughmore flashed as a flood area and he said that I couldn't be covered for flooding.

The area iss Laraghmore.I am just wondering though, some people give an address of Laraghmore, Ballyglunin annd others Laraghmore Turloughmore. I wonder does that make a difference. AIB didn't even ask about flooding.

There was never any flooring in teh area where the house is as it is up on a height.

Laraghmore is Ballyglunin as regarding official postal addresses go, Lackaghmore is Turloughmore, and i've never heard of flooding in the Lackagh / Lackaghmore areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Did you get sorted? Ulster Bank also provide home insurance cover at very competitive rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭darabbit

dec25532 wrote: »
    Did you get sorted? Ulster Bank also provide home insurance cover at very competitive rates.

I did thanks. I went with AIB as they have 50 discount off all new policies at the moment. Fully covered now:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Hi,

I am in process of buying house in Turloughmore. It is miles away from flooding area but I cannot get house insurance for flooding.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/22729-insurance-companies-blacklist-houses-flood-areas
    November 17, 2011 - 7:00am by Declan Tierney

The mention of Turloughmore on an application form for home insurance cover is sending insurance companies diving for cover as they associate the area with flooding.
    Applicants from Turloughmore who applied to a popular online insurance company have been told that they will not be covered for flooding because of where they live.
    And the Office of the Insurance Regulator has been described as “a waste of time and public money” for allowing insurance to pick and choose who they will or will not insure.
    There is outrage in the village and surrounding areas that they have been branded a flood plain despite the fact that Turloughmore was not badly affected by the November 2009 deluge.
    It has been revealed that the purchaser of a new house in the area applied to an insurance company for a quotation and was told that they wouldn’t be covered for flooding . . . simply because they had a Turloughmore address.
    It seems that Turloughmore is literally a ‘flashpoint’ when it comes to insurance companies providing cover for houses following the flooding that occurred in the general area two years ago.
    Several houses were destroyed by flooding in the Abbeyknockmoy, Carnmore, Cregmore and Claregalway areas during the prolonged downpours in 2009 – some families have still not returned to their homes since then.
    A number of on-line insurance companies have ‘blacklisted’ houses in Turloughmore by not providing flood cover and this has been described as unacceptable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement