Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Email client on Windows 6.5 (Toshiba TG01)

Options
  • 07-11-2011 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

I just use my phone at the moment for email only - and at that, just access to web based gmail. It's possible that I may have to use the phone to continually check 2 accounts - so I guess I better start using an email client instead.

With that in mind, I just wanted to ask others what their experiences were with email clients on smartphones. I'm not sure if I am confined to outlook as the phone is on the Windows 6.5 platform?

Any feedback would be welcome before I make the switch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

I just use my phone at the moment for email only - and at that, just access to web based gmail. It's possible that I may have to use the phone to continually check 2 accounts - so I guess I better start using an email client instead.

With that in mind, I just wanted to ask others what their experiences were with email clients on smartphones. I'm not sure if I am confined to outlook as the phone is on the Windows 6.5 platform?

Any feedback would be welcome before I make the switch.

The email client on winmo 6,5 is actually pretty good once you get over the fiddly small settings menus.
    You can set up accounts from any and all providers; you can set which folders to sync (not just the main inbox, but also folders you set up for special 'customers') how often etc etc... Not the most finger-friendly, it is certainly one of the most nicely configurable email clients in the mobile realm. Ironically, I only ever encountered problems with MS's accounts :p

PS: how on earth did you get your hands on a TG01? :O

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

@strecker - thanks for the insight - I will give it a go and see how I get on.
    strecker wrote: »
    PS: how on earth did you get your hands on a TG01? :O
    fleabay - plenty of them on fleabay - ex-orange contract phones. The draw was that (at the time at least) it was the only phone on the market that would support a usb keyboard.

Set it up a bit earlier - easy to use alright. One question. If someone else is accessing the same gmail account elsewhere - will these sent mails not be downloaded to the phones email client?....as I don't seem to have any record of 'sent mails' - just incoming......?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Set it up a bit earlier - easy to use alright. One question. If someone else is accessing the same gmail account elsewhere - will these sent mails not be downloaded to the phones email client?....as I don't seem to have any record of 'sent mails' - just incoming......?

If I send an email from any of my accounts on Windows Phone 7 it is also stored in the sent box on the phone and on the internet and on the exchange server. I can't remember if it did on Windows Mobile?

For all your Toshiba TG01 questions go to the Toshiba TG01 forum on xda, you'll find everything you need there. Try posting your question in the General thread there.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=572

Thanks AV - will do just that.

• Advertisement

No enlightenment forthcoming from the xda forum.

I really can't understand how this doesn't seem to be possible. Surely, if 'incoming' mail can be downloaded onto the phone, sent mail can be downloaded also????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I really can't understand how this doesn't seem to be possible. Surely, if 'incoming' mail can be downloaded onto the phone, sent mail can be downloaded also????

Try using imap instead of pop email.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=623492

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

AntiVirus wrote: »

Try using imap instead of pop email.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=623492
    When in gmail on your phone, hit Menu/options/manage folders - there you set which of your online folders to sync. Check the sent and sent items box.
    Also, in general "settings" for gmail in the clients under "retrieval" say if you want ALL mail or last 30 days or 10 etc...

Ok, I seem to be fudging my way through this.

Under 'all mail' - it now shows sent mails. Before I had set 'sync' solely on the 'sent' folder. However, it didn't update. Presumably, this will only show 'sent' mails that have been sent directly from the phone itself?

I'd prefer to have 'inbox' and 'sent items' showing up separately - as it's easier to glance through - but at least now have 'all mail' sync'ing...

Advertisement