Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enclosure in back garden for dog

• 07-11-2011 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Husband and I have recently moved to the countryside and are extremely eager to get a dog. We've both been brought up with family dogs and can really appreciate the fun and love they bring to a household.
    At the moment I am not working, so there won't be any issues about doggy being left alone. When I do start working, the worst case scenario would be that the dog would be alone from 8.30am to about 6pm three days a week. I would be in a position to have someone call around to walk him/her so hopefully that will quell too much anxiety. We do plan on a rescue dog anyway, that would have come from a similiar environment and not a little puppy that wouldn't know what was going on!

We are renting a house on half an acre so great space at first glance for a dog. Thing is it's not secure in that there is only a fence around the perimeter. The dog will be a house dog anyway, but I would still need an enclosure for him/her to have some time outside the house not on the lead.

I'm looking for something very, very roomy for the little fella (we're planning on a small/medium dog). Does anyone have any suggestions? I am in the Kerry area.

Thanks...:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The safest and easiest to use dog runs are the galvanised ones like cilldara.ie or hayses modular there might be another company nearer to you that manufacture them as well. I use the cill dara ones and have had them for around 8 years now and they're still going strong. You can buy more panels over time and make them bigger, you can also put them concrete, tarmac, grass etc. and take them with you when you move. They don't leave a mark on the ground so landlord won't have a problem with them.

I'd go for the largest panels though probably cheaper than buying the half size ones and then getting more later.

If you are looking for a fully insulated kennel (lot of them on the market are only half insulated) let me know and I'll pm you the details of where we're going to be getting our ones from.

There are cheaper runs on the market but they aren't as secure and have flimsy chainlink wire. Would be a good idea to buy the run first and have it all set up before getting the pooch, and if you choose to get a dog from a rescue you'll have everything set up for the dog already before a homecheck.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Esmeralda34

Thank you Sigma Force!!

I did come across the Cilldara site and thought it seemed pretty impressive. Will definitely have everything in place before I even start looking for our new doggy! Did you find Cilldara to be expensive...?

Eventhough he/she will be sleeping in the house, I assume a fully insulated kennel is advisable anyway? Please do pm me the details.

Thanks a mil for the advice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

They are pricey but you could start off with the smaller panels if you need to and you might only need 2 panels and a gate panel to start with if you have a wall to act as the back panel. They last a lifetime and don't rust so eventually can be sold on and not loose too much value and compared to the cost of fencing they work out cheaper.

Sometimes the dog runs are sold on free ad sites as second hand as well.

I'll pm you the kennels you might not need a fully insulated one if it's just to have for during the day but at the same time if you want a solid one that will be extra cosy they are worth getting.

Advertisement