Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fircroft Kennels and Cattery Rathangan

• 07-11-2011 4:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of using these kennels for my two dogs and two cats over the christmas. Has anyone on here used them? Would you reccomend them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I'm thinking of using these kennels for my two dogs and two cats over the christmas. Has anyone on here used them? Would you reccomend them?

I used them for a while 2008 for my cocker, while they are ok, as in the dogs are confined in small spaces for most of the day etc...yes they are walked but little human contact.....
    I found them very expensive and also it's in the middle of nowhere

.... my cocker doesn’t really like that style of kennelling i.e. small sleeping area (we got him a heater etc), with small space to move around.... he loves human contact, so we opt now for home kennelling (where a dog stays with his minder in their home etc) and it’s the same price and he’s not traumatised when he gets home.... it would be ok for cats though... but IMO dogs need far more human contact so for some dogs its unsuitable. IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

cocker5 wrote: »
    we opt now for home kennelling (where a dog stays with his minder in their home etc) and it’s the same price and he’s not traumatised when he gets home.... it would be ok for cats though... but IMO dogs need far more human contact so for some dogs its unsuitable. IMO

I would much prefer this option but I can't find any info on them at all. Where do you board your dogs? I'm in Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

If its any help to you I have used Fircroft and found that my dogs got on fine - and I am the fussiest "mother" you will ever find!! I am also in Laois and could not find any where else within a reasonable distance to compare to Fircroft. What I liked most was that they are open for visits by owners to check out the place at any time (within reason) and I felt reassured by this.
    Yes, I have to admit that the level of human contact will be considerably less that they would get at home. But for some strange reason I did not have a huge problem with this (a small one maybe!!) as I didn't want my dogs getting attached to anyone else (weird reasoning I know!)
    I have two dogs so they were kennelled together, which I suppose lessen the trauma of kennels as they have each other. But the two-dog kennels are bigger so you could always request one of those? Don't know how that would go with Fircroft though, especially over the Christmas period.
    I am planning on leaving my two there again for two weeks in March - but if anyone feels I am making the wrong choice or could make a better one, please let me know. Home boarding is probably not an option for me as my two dogs are pretty hyper and highly strung and I would be constantly worried about them if they were staying in someone's house in case they weren't as tolerant as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

I have to agree with most of Shazannes points about Fircroft. I have left my lady there twice now (just one night each time though) and found no issues with the place.

I know it was only one night each time but it didnt seem to effect her at all. I too was extremely nervous about leaving her, especially the first time and they had no issues with me ringing to check how she was getting on! I didnt do it the second time though as I felt more reassured.

They are really open to visitors too and I had visited and had a good look around before booking her in the first time. I was also encouraged to bring her toys and also a t shirt of mine for her to sleep with! This gave me some piece of mind as she is a total indoor dog and I was worried about her technically sleeping outside!

I would say pay them a visit and see what you think. If you dont get a good feeling about the place then there is no obiligation to leave your pets there.

Oh and its less than a five minute drive for me so not "in the middle of nowhere" for me thank god! :D

Let us know how you get on!

B

Advertisement