Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm sorry DICE, but this game is broken...

Options
  • 07-11-2011 5:15pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

... and its been driving me daft so I just wanted to see if these things are affecting or annoying anyone else like me.

Rebinding keys and mice etc - my earlier DERP moment last week of it not recognising mouse buttons because I hadn't clicked in the "Mouse" column (tbh, I don't think it's a big ask to smarten up the code to accommodate such mistakes) not withstanding; if you accidentally bind something to the wrong key, the "Hold escape to unbind" thing has stopped working for me completely and so I have to reset the entire control set and start again which is, I think bollox - especially as I'm not a WASD player at all (RDFG 4 lyfe), so I have to waste more time trying to fix it again. And why doesn't the scroll wheel work when trying to move through the list of available commands/bindings?

I also think it's absurd that you can't tinker with your character loadouts/appearance outside of the "live" game. If there's a link for this somewhere, then I've obviously missed it, but it shouldn't be difficult for someone who's been using the internet and playing PC games seriously for nearly 15 years. If they're going to make us use a website for interfacing with things, then make sure it includes all the things. Woohoo, I can change my Dog Tags - why can't I change my weapons? 25 seconds before the round starts after you hop into a server is not sufficient time to set things up. Why can't I make the changes in-between map rotations?

I've had major issues with how DICE approaches these things (the not being able to change any controls on the XBox version of BC2 was an absolutely unforgivable offence). They've also left out a colour blind option which is extremely hard to wrap my head around (I thankfully am unaffected by it).

I'm just extremely disappointed that they've not got these extremely basic things right - it reeks of a company that sees a very short lifespan for the game and they've spent all the time making Frostbite 2 work well (and tbh, I think it's *very* good) with a view to selling licences for it. It's not like user interface for games is something ground-breakingly new to have to figure out. Getting this stuff right is as important as making a good game and so the combination of broken in-game menus and a poor web interface that simply doesn't work (hint: stop trying to make Facebook and make a functioning game management site) is too much for me. Since I'm talking about Battlelog, "Matchmaking" is also a joke - if it finds no game after over 30 seconds then it's not working - they're the ones trying to call it "quick match" and it most certainly is not.

Outside of these issues, I think this game has really lived up to expectations for me and I'm really loving it. I honestly don't think I'm expecting too much that the fundamentals of the software and services around the "game" part of this game should work properly, what do the rest of you fine folks think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

have had no problems rebinding keys. have gone from 'wsad', to 'up down left right', back to 'wasd' then back again to 'up,down,left,right'

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm currently looking for ways to enable my mouse thumb button to be used as a knifey button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

works fine for me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm currently looking for ways to enable my mouse thumb button to be used as a knifey button.

I believe its just a case of going to the melee combat button in keybinds and clicking on the mouse column and binding.

Alternatively if you use a logitech mouse you can get setpoint and change the button to keyboard value of "F" the default melee combat button.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

the_syco wrote: »

I managed this, but accidentally set this same mouse button to switch to knife (as it was above melee attack on the list) and now it's doubled up and I can't "unbind" it.

At this stage I'm thinking of looking for a controls.cfg file and manually editing it in notepad like the old days :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I had issues binding mouse buttons in the Beta but it's all working fine now.
    TBH key binding menus have always been a bit of a pain in most games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Shiminay wrote: »
    ... and its been driving me daft so I just wanted to see if these things are affecting or annoying anyone else like me.

Rebinding keys and mice etc - my earlier DERP moment last week of it not recognising mouse buttons because I hadn't clicked in the "Mouse" column (tbh, I don't think it's a big ask to smarten up the code to accommodate such mistakes) not withstanding; if you accidentally bind something to the wrong key, the "Hold escape to unbind" thing has stopped working for me completely and so I have to reset the entire control set and start again which is, I think bollox - especially as I'm not a WASD player at all (RDFG 4 lyfe), so I have to waste more time trying to fix it again. And why doesn't the scroll wheel work when trying to move through the list of available commands/bindings?

I also think it's absurd that you can't tinker with your character loadouts/appearance outside of the "live" game. If there's a link for this somewhere, then I've obviously missed it, but it shouldn't be difficult for someone who's been using the internet and playing PC games seriously for nearly 15 years. If they're going to make us use a website for interfacing with things, then make sure it includes all the things. Woohoo, I can change my Dog Tags - why can't I change my weapons? 25 seconds before the round starts after you hop into a server is not sufficient time to set things up. Why can't I make the changes in-between map rotations?

I've had major issues with how DICE approaches these things (the not being able to change any controls on the XBox version of BC2 was an absolutely unforgivable offence). They've also left out a colour blind option which is extremely hard to wrap my head around (I thankfully am unaffected by it).

I'm just extremely disappointed that they've not got these extremely basic things right - it reeks of a company that sees a very short lifespan for the game and they've spent all the time making Frostbite 2 work well (and tbh, I think it's *very* good) with a view to selling licences for it. It's not like user interface for games is something ground-breakingly new to have to figure out. Getting this stuff right is as important as making a good game and so the combination of broken in-game menus and a poor web interface that simply doesn't work (hint: stop trying to make Facebook and make a functioning game management site) is too much for me. Since I'm talking about Battlelog, "Matchmaking" is also a joke - if it finds no game after over 30 seconds then it's not working - they're the ones trying to call it "quick match" and it most certainly is not.

Outside of these issues, I think this game has really lived up to expectations for me and I'm really loving it. I honestly don't think I'm expecting too much that the fundamentals of the software and services around the "game" part of this game should work properly, what do the rest of you fine folks think?

I know this may not help but its worth a shot maybe tweeting this post bf3??
    They seem pretty hell bent on keeping people playing the game..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

At this stage I'm thinking of looking for a controls.cfg file and manually editing it in notepad like the old days :)
    Best of luck. I also tried *.ini *.inf and a few random small files.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

I managed this, but accidentally set this same mouse button to switch to knife (as it was above melee attack on the list) and now it's doubled up and I can't "unbind" it.

To unbind you hold down ESC and it clears whatever binding you have selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

They seem pretty hell bent on keeping people playing the game..
    They would be when they're competitor is being released tonight! At least it'll get rid of all the campers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement