Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bushnell banner

Options
  • 07-11-2011 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Picking up my new cz455 hmr next week and I was looking at the bushnell banner 6-18x50. It seems a great scope for the money. Had anyone used one as it is bang on budget for me,any opinions? Thanks lads. LR.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Had one before, grand scope for the money. Perfectly functional scope

Does it have an adjustable objective? Mine did and I grew to dislike them but that's a personal preference thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Cheers for the reply,I don't think it has an adjustable objective. Does it make a big difference you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Longranger wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply,I don't think it has an adjustable objective. Does it make a big difference you think?

Well on a hunting rifle, no parallax adjustment at all is the best, neither side parallax or adjustable objective. No fiddling, twisting or messing around. Cross hair on target and pop. No parallax adjustments usually only appears on lower magnification scopes and fixed power ones.

The problem I have with Adustable Objectives (AO) is that they are difficult to reach in a prone position while looking through the scope. The second issue I have is ruggedness. If dirt or grit gets in there then they can become coarse and rough.

For hunting scopes I'd prefer no parallax but if you fancy a few longer shots and a higher mag scope, I find side parallax more usable. There is a price though and that is price. Scopes with side parallax tend to be more expensive as they are more complex to make.

Look an adjustable objective scope will work fine but they're not my cup of tea on a hunting rifle.

For a target rifle it's a different matter though as I think adjustable objectives are more efficient optically, 1 less lense needed or something. Sitting on a bench it's easier to adjust them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

First off Paul O'Hallaran in Drangan has them in stock @€;199 that's great value. I was looking through them and they are good for the money great glass.

I wanted to get one for either my soon to be Marlin 1894 lever action .38spl/.357mag or to put on my Ruger 10/22 and use the Bushnell Banner 4-12x40 that's on the 10/22 for the Marlin 1894.

Second I just got one in the post today, bought second-hand from the UK and now it's on top of my 10/22.

Must say it's better now I have more time to look through it and at it. I don't mind the AO parallax as most of my shooting now is Gallery Rifle comp. and I have time to adjust the parallax and have the different ranges marked on the front AO ring with white nail varnish, @ 10, 15, 25, and 50 yards.

I had the Bushnell 3200 10x40 fixed on a 22lr and it was also very good. Just remember the parallax is set @100m, as are most fixed scopes, so anything under that range will be out of focus.

I rate the better Bushnell scopes highly and they give good value for your $$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 28 243bigbang

I bought the same scope on amazon on saturday.. delivered to my door for €196, just said id let u know the price.. probably the cheapest ul get it for?? hopefully it will take the kick of a 6.5x5.5..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Cheers for the info guys. I'm just confused on the price. Is the dusk and dawn a different model? I'm asking as two people got them for less than two hundred,yet duffys in galway is charging 330! Are they different? Sorry if I'm being a pain in the arse about this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Longranger wrote: »
    Cheers for the info guys. I'm just confused on the price. Is the dusk and dawn a different model? I'm asking as two people got them for less than two hundred,yet duffys in galway is charging 330! Are they different? Sorry if I'm being a pain in the arse about this

No there's only the one model.
    Looks like Duffy's are trying to make a killing

Give Paul a phone I'm sure he may post one on to you.

From the Bushnell website about the Banner range of scopes:
    http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/banner/716185/

"................it's wise to have a scope designed to excel in early-morning and late-evening light. Featuring Dusk & Dawn Brightness™ (DDB) multi-coated lenses for clarity and brightness in low light, you'll add precious minutes to every hunting day with the Banner® Dusk & Dawn® series. With one-piece tube design, the Banner Dusk & Dawn line includes a full assortment of specialty scopes for big-game, varmint, .22 rimfire, slug, black powder and turkey hunting."

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭De_Tomaso

I you shoot on target and at close range Parallax correction is almost a must have feature. When hunting it is more of a trouble than anything else.

On the other hand about the Banner, I personally like other scopes like Vortex Diamondback or Hawke Eclipse SF more. I have good experience with Bushnell Elite (3200/4200/6500) but other leave me cold and not really satisfied regarding their price tag.

The EU price for Banner 6-18x50 is 279€ but 25% of a discount is normal by Bushnell. Otherwise it is impossible to sell anything from Bushnell on this side of the ocean since US prices are much lower.

Advertisement