Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setanta Sports

Options
  • 07-11-2011 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Hi folks looking for a bit of advice please.

I checked my bank account on line yesterday and noticed that Setanta sports had taken from my credit card €203 for a years subscription. Needless to say I was not too happy and sent them an email requesting that they cancel my subscription immediately and refund the money back to me.
    I received an email from them today stating as per their T & C's they would not refund me the money and would cancel the subscription next year.

I rang them only to be told that there was no way I was getting a refund, that I should have rang them a month before subscription is up to cancel. Last year they took payment from my credit card even though I had been issued with a new card, (new date and CVV number).

I explained to the account manager today that I was unemployed and they had just maxed out my credit card and to offer me some refund but he was not budging on it. He basically said it was my own fault for not cancelling. I explained to him that with all the other stuff going on in my life at the moment that I did not know when my renewal was due and they sent no letter or confirmation that my account was due.

Do I have any recourse to get my money back? Should I contact a solicitor or am I barking up a wrong tree?

Sorry for the long rant but I had to get the anger out some way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭whippet

Do I have any recourse to get my money back? Should I contact a solicitor or am I barking up a wrong tree?

Sorry for the long rant but I had to get the anger out some way.

I would doubt it. Unfortuantly anytime you give someone permission to charge you directly for something you should be fully aware of what the deal is.

As an aside, say if you were delighted with the service and Setanta didn't automatically re-subscribe for another year and you sat down with your mates to watch United and Liverpool for an epic saturday afternoon and discovered 5 mins before kick-off that your sub had elapsed and Setanta cut you off .. would you be of the same mindset as now?

When you sign up for something like this the charge is an annual charge but the contract tends to be rolling until you cancel ... same with everything really ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

Liverpool vs united live on setanta??that will be the day

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

skinny90 Please stick to the topic.

Advertisement