Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

licences

Options
  • 07-11-2011 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

lads having problem getting my second rifle licence from super in cahir he has rep of being stickler every time i ring he has new question hense delaying things.any ideas how i can put pressure on him or go around him

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Shotgun_TEXAS

I wish I could help you there bud, but Im sure someone will, not to rub it in or anything just got the letter of approval today and paid up so should have my licence before the weekend, only took a week.
    Best of luck with it;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

crf wrote: »
    ..........any ideas how i can put pressure on him or go around him

No, and no.

You cannot go "around" him nor can you pressure him. The super, for unresticted firearms, is the authority. The decision is with him, and him alone. Even the Chief Super or a court cannot make him give you the license. The courts only come into it if he refuses, and you wish to fight the decision.

All you can do is answer his questions, supply the info he wants, and wait.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Tac

request a meeting in person with him and ask him straight out why?? as long as you have a good reason for having a 2nd rifle and your not a person legally disentitled...i cant see a problem...

at the end of the day the Superintendent has to satisifty himself that (1) you are not a danger to anyone and (2) you have a good reason to have the gun...

it is a big responsibility to grant a person that one desent know a cert for a weapon...

keep it cool....request an appointment and take things from there...

Tac wrote: »
    .........a cert for a weapon......

Firearm. Not weapon.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Ezridax wrote: »
    Firearm. Not weapon.

Im not the only one who dislikes it when people call rifles weapons so?:D

same as a knife, it only becomes a weapon when used to harm or threaten someone.

• Advertisement

Firearm. Not weapon.

same difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

same difference.

Not at all. Do you cut your steak and veg with a weapon?

was trying to get a message across, not disect words.

a garauntee you a Superintendent see's it as a weapon...thats why some are very stickly about questions, etc, before they grant a cert.

No its not. I hate doing this as it derails a thread so i'll be brief.

A firearm is a weapon in the wrong hands or the hands of a professional. However its not the reason we make the distinction. When you say to someone i have a firearm they think gun, target rifle, etc. You say to someone i have a weapon they immediately think danger, gun nut, etc.

Its about public image, and people's perception of the tools we use to carry out our sport. Every little bit of good PR is of use to us. To that extent we highly recommend people refer to their guns as firearms.

No its not. I hate doing this as it derails a thread so i'll be brief.

A firearm is a weapon in the wrong hands or the hands of a professional. However its not the reason we make the distinction. When you say to someone i have a firearm they think gun, target rifle, etc. You say to someone i have a weapon they immediately think danger, gun nut, etc.

Its about public image, and people's perception of the tools we use to carry out our sport. Every little bit of good PR is of use to us. To that extent we highly recommend people refer to their guns as firearms.

totally agree. but argue that point with a superintendent. anyway, id still make an appointment to see the super and speak to him on a one to one basis about the cert your looking for. at least when he meets ya he'll be able to get a better idea of what your like, and not just a name on a paper.

best of luck and i hope you get your cert. :)

• Advertisement

totally agree. but argue that point with a superintendent

Yes, and you can either let him say it or do as i did and argue the point. Either way when speaking of them here it is prefered that they are called firearms.
    . anyway, id still make an appointment to see the super and speak to him on a one to one basis about the cert your looking for. at least when he meets ya he'll be able to get a better idea of what your like, and not just a name on a paper.

Correct. Go in with all paperwork, however trivial. Do not meet him, and realise you left something at home. Give him everything he needs and even stuff he doesn't. IOW give him no excuse to need to ask/meet you again for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 crf

cheers tried to meet him but there is a designated guard dealing with it and he even admitted he was the worst to deal with .as it stands i have to omit the scope from the extras to get him to look at my application again no buts.having my first licence 15 years no problems counts for nothing.think supers first name is adolf

crf wrote: »
    .........as it stands i have to omit the scope from the extras to get him to look at my application again no buts............

Should never have been on your application.

Scopes are not required to be listed, applied for or liccensed. If you mentioned a scope, and put it down on your application then its probable the Super thought you were looking for a NV or similar scope, as these DO need authorisation. Perhaps thats the problem there.

Insist on an appointment. go in suited n booted with all ur paperwork. You will get it as long as you meet the criteria...which u do as u already have a cert.
    just make good ur reason for requiring the firearm. an appointment is the way forward i think. once he/she talks to ya and sees you are a responsible sports person itll go a long way for your application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

This thing with the scopes comes up the whole time it should really be made clear on the form

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

best thing is meet him see what is the problem with the calibre your after and the reason you want it. if he is not happy with all that just ask him for a letter stating the reasons why he is refusing you the application and if your a member of the N.A.R.G.C just hand them the letter and your problem and they might be able to do something on your behalf.At the end of the day the decision is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

garv123 wrote: »
    Firearm. Not weapon.

Im not the only one who dislikes it when people call rifles weapons so?:D

same as a knife, it only becomes a weapon when used to harm or threaten someone.

Exactly what I think my grant letter was worded weapon instead of firearm but I'm not complaining really as I got the grant letter in the first place. I just prefair the term firearm.

Advertisement