Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

personal file

Options
  • 07-11-2011 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Am i entitled to view my personel / employer file ?
    I asked my manager for it but was told i could not see this as no one ever asked for them.

I was called to a meeting last week and they had some issues. not a formal complaint , but was still infront of 4 managers. I am asking for the complaint/ issues in writing but they are not giving them to me ? So i asked for my personal file.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Firstly you have the right to view any information, paper or electronic based , that ANY company holds about your.

This seems to cover your question.

http://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=206

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

You are entitled to see any complaint in writing...
    I feel however you are not entitled to see your current work/personel file..

I had this request a few years ago and HR/Legal confirmed that employeed are not entitled to this.... Employee huffed N puffed about it but never brought it any further

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

bbam wrote: »
    You are entitled to see any complaint in writing...
    I feel however you are not entitled to see your current work/personel file..

I had this request a few years ago and HR/Legal confirmed that employeed are not entitled to this.... Employee huffed N puffed about it but never brought it any further

I think that you and your HR/Legal dept are wrong on this:

http://www.mhc.ie/publications/item/469/ten-employment-law-tips/

9. Data protection

Compliance with data protection law is an important matter for all employers. Data protection law stipulates that anyone who holds data relating to an individual must comply with certain rules such as obtaining and processing the data fairly, and keeping it accurate and up to date.

From an employment perspective this means that employees have the right to request access to their personnel files, working time records, disciplinary and performance records etc.

American companies do not have to provide this information to their US based employees, but in Ireland the Data Protection laws make this information available to all Irish Employees. Irish HR departments are very careful about the information stored in Personnel Files as they have to disclose it to staff on request.

I think that you and your HR/Legal dept are wrong on this:

Indeed it would seem so...
    I'd still probably stonewall on it as much as possible.... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

bbam wrote: »
    Indeed it would seem so...
    I'd still probably stonewall on it as much as possible.... :o

Out of curiosity, why would you do this?

• Advertisement

qwertz wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why would you do this?

With a 35 person department you don't want every tom dick and harry turning up for a look... Then there will be arguments about things still on file...
    Can O worms IMHO....

Advertisement