Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TGIs in Blackrock closed

Options
  • 07-11-2011 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭

Seems to be anyway, signs down ect. The Italian place seems to be still open. What's moving in there?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

What????????????
    was up there a couple of weeks ago and tbh the service/food was the best i've had in over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

What????????????
    was up there a couple of weeks ago and tbh the service/food was the best i've had in over a year.

Pretty sure they've been doing badly since it opened. Lot's of stupid renovations, no way they're making money back on that. To think the place was once hopping only a few years ago when it was the Playwright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

themont85 wrote: »
    To think the place was once hopping only a few years ago when it was the Playwright.

ye the playwright did a mean sunday lunch!

saw TGI's in the thread title and thought, sure I might go to blackrock tonight.. obviously not!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

alexlyons wrote: »
    ye the playwright did a mean sunday lunch!

saw TGI's in the thread title and thought, sure I might go to blackrock tonight.. obviously not!

When the Morans bought it in the 90s it was the record price for a pub in Ireland and when they sold it, it was another record price. It was making over 300k a year in the year 2000 according to here.

TGIs ran it into the ground it seems.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

When it opened first it was always packed, but i'd say in the last 18 months it has really died a death.
    I went up with the OH a few times and it was so bad that she ended up sending a complaint email and we got a free dinner which was better.

The Playwright was a fantastic pub, always thought they were mad to get rid of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Glad it has failed tbh. They ruined a very good pub with a rubbish chain restaurant.

Im sorry for the job losses tbh. There's another tgi's in dundrum so not much more of a trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Shikei

I work in the Italian, haven't heard anything yet but I presume we'll be closing too because our business was worse than TGI's. Really sad and stressful, I've worked there for five years and a lot of people were there even longer :( I know a lot of people on Boards are of the opinion that the pub should have stayed open, but really I don't think any business on that scale would have lasted through the recession. Both restaurants were really busy when I started there, and in the last few years they've just been getting quieter and quieter, I'd say a lot of our business went to Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

There's another tgi's in dundrum so not much more of a trek.
    We passed by the Mill Pond in Dundrum on Saturday evening and there were no lights on in TGIs at around 7pm - seemed to be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Shikei

Apparently Dante's Pizza is staying open for now, TGI's has had a fleet of vans outside it all day so it's probably gutted by now, don't know what they're planning to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Shikei wrote: »
    I work in the Italian, haven't heard anything yet but I presume we'll be closing too because our business was worse than TGI's. Really sad and stressful, I've worked there for five years and a lot of people were there even longer :( I know a lot of people on Boards are of the opinion that the pub should have stayed open, but really I don't think any business on that scale would have lasted through the recession. Both restaurants were really busy when I started there, and in the last few years they've just been getting quieter and quieter, I'd say a lot of our business went to Dundrum.

Ah I hope you stay open, I love your pizza and bruschetta :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I loved the place maybe 4 or 5 years ago when they had savage meal deals.

In particular they had a 2 course for €15 deal where the food was amazing and the choice was of all the really nice dishes, the premium burgers etc

Fast-forward 3 months after they brought in the deal and they had the same meal deal but took all the nice choices off the menu and replaced them with the bargain basement crap. It was so disappointing.

I never like to see a business fail but their prices were ridiculous for todays climate, they were doomed.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I live beside there and I never even noticed! The Playwright used to be hoppin' alright, but TGIs always seemed empty every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Dante's is now closed. Planning permission up for a supermarket. Most likely Lidl or Aldi :(

Dante's is now closed. Planning permission up for a supermarket. Most likely Lidl or Aldi :(

Pity: Really nice bunch working there :(

Supermarket :eek::eek:

I can't see it getting planning permission, it would be completely out of character for the area and there would not be enough car parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I heard there was a Tesco Express going in there...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Pity: Really nice bunch working there :(

Supermarket :eek::eek:

I can't see it getting planning permission, it would be completely out of character for the area and there would not be enough car parking.

The fact that there is a small shopping complex with a wide mixture of businesses practically in he same block would probably make it easy to convert and run successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭jonnysimples

From a very reliable source it's an Aldi that have applied for the planning permission.

I have to say i'm a bit dissapointed, would have much preferred a one off food-store or something similar (maybe a Donnybrook Fair).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Apparently its gonna be a Tescos Pharmacy :mad: (pitty that boards doesn't have a puking emoticon...)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭jonnysimples

The planning application notes that alcohol sales will be part of the change of useso that would seem to rule out a pharmacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

The planning application in full for anyone interested:

playwright.jpg

Would anyone think it could be successful again as a pub?
    I'd like to think so but the sheer size of it would mean you'd probably have to get a lot of people in over the weekends/sporting events to make it work.

Would prefer not to see it turn into a chain store though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

It can't be lidl or aldi as their specific planning use is "discount supermarket". Planning here is just for "shop" which encompasses convience style retailing.

3 options - M&S Simply food, Tesco Express or possibly Donnybrook Fair (though probably too close to stillorgan for this to be a frontrunner)

Owners of the site are the butler bros. - no shortage of money there, even in todays market. (leisureplex, cinemas etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Yeah, I heard about this "discount supermarket" use specified for Aldi & Lidl units. I find it strange, but I'm sure there's a good reason for it. What makes them "discount" and Supervalu or Tesco not ? At this stage all the supermarkets offer ongoing discounts. I wonder what the criteria for being a "discount supermarket" are ?

Was this maybe some sort of lobbying on the part of the new shops or the incumbents to somehow distinguish them from existing retailers ?

z

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomdublin

zagmund wrote: »
    Yeah, I heard about this "discount supermarket" use specified for Aldi & Lidl units. I find it strange, but I'm sure there's a good reason for it. What makes them "discount" and Supervalu or Tesco not ? At this stage all the supermarkets offer ongoing discounts. I wonder what the criteria for being a "discount supermarket" are ?

Was this maybe some sort of lobbying on the part of the new shops or the incumbents to somehow distinguish them from existing retailers ?

z
    What makes them "discount" is that they offer significantly better value than many of the pathetic ripoff merchants native to this island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

OMG Thats Loike totes a tragidy loike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

tomdublin wrote: »
    What makes them "discount" is that they offer significantly better value than many of the pathetic ripoff merchants native to this island.

But that's not a discount. That's lower prices or better value.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It looks more like a supervalu ir eurpspar. Do they actually have s tenant lined up are there just developing the site and hoping someone will lease it.

• Advertisement

It's a fairly badly designed site for anything really. Even when it was the Playwright the split levels were a very poor use of space. The interior needs a complete gutting before any new business can use it.

Advertisement