Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TGIs in Blackrock closed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Blut2

Would be a shame to have such a nice building used for a Tesco to be fair, all snobbery aside. A Tesco would also destroy the local shop across the road (used to be Centra?), take a lot of the Texaco garage's business and the Spar down the road towards the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The Chinese take away beside it is lovely though! Never struck me as a great place for a TGI's!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

I don't understand how placing a supermarket of any kind in Newtownpark Avenue is remotely viable, considering there's an M&S and Superquinn just down the road in Blackrock Village and a huge Dunnes Stores up the road in Cornelscourt

• Registered Users Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

There's a "TO LET" notice on the building now. It's on the windows but looks like the windows where Dante's was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 caelum

Planning permission denied for Tesco express, gonna stay empty for a while I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Dante's is now closed. Planning permission up for a supermarket. Most likely Lidl or Aldi :(

A supermarket where? It is in Newtownpark Avenue or another supermarket in Dundrum?

I live about five minutes from there when it was the Playwright and the food there was fantastic. I am that very surprised it had taken up so much money back in the day.

I don't think another Lidl would come into Newtownpark Avenue. There is already been two open between Deansgrange & Pottery Road in Dun Laoghaire. I would not be pleased to see in Aldi within my locality as the site IMO could be too small.

The nearest Aldi stores from Newtownpark Avenue I think are in Sandyford & Nutgrove.

The site is going have to determined by what sorts of items will be sold in that shop, if there is going to be one.

We had a pro golf store just beside O'Briens and A-Wash. That golf store was gone around six months ago. That shop is now replaced with one that sells supplies for DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Tescos is likely to be going in there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'd really be against a Tesco Express tbh.. but in saying that i really dont know what would work.
    such a shame to see the Playwright turned into a shop, had my 21st there .. and got naked on the stage fond memories :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Ah i thinkg it would be good, don't forget its only a convenience shop with extra booze and veg!

theyll probably keep and adapt the original building and stick a tesco logo on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I forgot to mention that there is a third Lidl opened recently in Stillorgan adjacent to the new UCI Cinema including the stores at Deansgrange and Pottery Road.

So then that is a fourth possible Lidl out the window then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement