Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home made smoothie vs whole fruit

Options
  • 07-11-2011 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am a bit confused about something I read few days back. Someone suggested that instead of blending fruits you should have whole fruit as it loses some vital vitamins/fibres etc.

I do like whole fruits, I eat some grapes and a banana in a day.
    Last few days I started making smoothie at home in morning and getting it at work.
    Following is how I prepare it
    14 - 16 red or green grapes
    one banana
    1 tsp of honey
    2 tbsp of low fat yogurt
    And blend it.

Thats it... now how does above is less nutritious then 12- 14 grapes and one banana eaten whole i.e. without blending.

This is just to clarify my confusion and to gain some knowledge :) ... nothing else.

Thanks a lot.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

If you take those ingredients and blend them, it's the same nutrition, but it's not as filling as all those ingredients eaten separately.

However, if you look at all those ingredients, you'll notice that they are all high sugar, and high gi. That smoothie may taste delicious, but it's an insulin bomb. Your blood sugar will soar, then plummet.

How about using strawberries instead of the grapes, and perhaps a pear instead of the banana, dropping the honey, and using regular or even greek yogurt?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,250 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think when people talk about smoothies losing nutrition, they are confusing smoothies with juices.
    A juicer removes the pulp, which is the fibre etc.
    Smoothies are better, but whole fruit may be better again.

Is the insulin spike greater or the same in smothies compared to same ingrenients as whole fruit?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

Thank you very much EileenG and Mellor for your replies.

EileenG your explanation makes sense but is Greek yogurt better than regular yogurt? I would try and make as you suggested.

But say without honey only the fruits, is it more sugar then recommended daily amount? i.e 14-16 grapes and a banana in a day?

Mellor, I have the same question as you as well. Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

Greek yoghurt is often high in fat, and sometimes normal yoghurt blended with cream is labelled as Greek yoghurt.
    Red grapes are particularly rich in antioxidants. Bananas are an excellent source of a number of minerals. It is loaded with sugar alright, but I think the nutritional value of the ingredients otherwise shouldnt be overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Greek yogurt is much more filling than low fat.

Grapes and bananas have nutrition benefits, but they have a lot of sugar for the amount of benefits. Honey is sugar in another form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭kknitter

Thank you all for your input. Its much more clear now.
    Appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

A teaspoon of peanut butter in a smoothie tastes great!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

In a word the difference is chewing. People underestimate how important chewing is to let the stomach know that food is on it's way and the brain know that you're probably going to need to send satiety signals soon.

If you are on a weight loss diet, do not drink any calories in my opinion, be they fat or carbs. Maybe save for a protein shake PWO, but your not relying on a protein shake to keep you full for hours.

Advertisement