Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are the new OCZ octane SSDs?

Options
  • 07-11-2011 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭

Can anyone point me to anywhere that has these SSDs for sale - that were meant to have been released 1//11/11?

(Posted here to get a response)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'd like to know that for myself actually. They're looking very promising. I'll probably pick up a 128GB one around Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

What's so special about these ssd's?

Crucial M4 128GB / OCZ Octane 128GB

Read: 415 / 535
    Write: 175 / 170
    IOPS: 35,000 / 37,000
    Price: £155 / £155

While on specs the Octane doesn't look fantastically better than the M4 (and while it may not be in reality; will have to wait for reviews there) it works on a different controller* than the majority of SSDs out there, with specific focus at faster boot times, as well as being a good all-round drive, versus other SSDs being good at reading a bunch of small files at once (in particular).

* They're using the Indilinx controller, versus the controller that most SSDs - but not the M4 - use, the newest SandForce one, which is prone to drive failures and drop-outs and a bunch of other things, that means for the moment, the only SSD worth looking at is the M4 line from Criucial. This is it's competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

write speeds look bleak for a next Gen SSD?

next Gen being a generation after the m4 et al.

• Advertisement

Have a look at the 512GB drive. ;)

For some reason - be it artificially imposed by OCZ or a limitation of the controller - write speeds seem to increase in proportion to memory density.

The new firmware for the crucial increased the read/write speeds to 550/200.

cork45 wrote: »
    The new firmware for the crucial increased the read/write speeds to 550/200.

I knew the newest one was good, didn't know by how much. Bear in mind though that these haven't even been released yet; it might well be that the write speed is a limitation from OCZ, and they might decide to lift that with later firmware. (Unlikely, but one can hope)

Serephucus wrote: »
    I knew the newest one was good, didn't know by how much. Bear in mind though that these haven't even been released yet; it might well be that the write speed is a limitation from OCZ, and they might decide to lift that with later firmware. (Unlikely, but one can hope)

Any body who has an M4 drive can update to the newest firmware, No need to wait for a release.
    http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx

Any body who has an M4 drive can update to the newest firmware, No need to wait for a release.
    http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx

Ok... so... what's your point?

What I'm saying is, the M4's have X speed with Y firmware, great. The Octanes haven't even been released, so I'm sure their speed will improve. You're also forgetting that with SSDs it's not all about specs. A lot comes down to the controller and storage algorithms used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Messerschmitt

I suspect the pre-order price is a bit high. From Anandtech, "OCZ is expecting pricing to fall somewhere within the $1.10 - $1.30 per GB range"

They also are going to provide a 1TB Octane SSD, which I think is a first for this form factor.

Access times should be lower too.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Ok... so... what's your point?

What I'm saying is, the M4's have X speed with Y firmware, great. The Octanes haven't even been released, so I'm sure their speed will improve. You're also forgetting that with SSDs it's not all about specs. A lot comes down to the controller and storage algorithms used.

In your second post on the thread you quoted the speeds for the old firmware, I just let you know the speeds have increased with the new firmware.
    In your forth post you said they haven't been released so I posted a link to the firmware.
    I couldn't give a fcuk which one is better, I just noticed the wrong info in your post and sought to enlighten you with my fantastic knowledge. (only messing):D

TBH I'm buying a new ssd before Christmas and I'm not budget constrained so I'm looking for the best sad I can get which is why I asked why the octane ssd's are so special.

In your second post on the thread you quoted the speeds for the old firmware, I just let you know the speeds have increased with the new firmware.
    In your forth post you said they haven't been released so I posted a link to the firmware.
    I couldn't give a fcuk which one is better, I just noticed the wrong info in your post and sought to enlighten you with my fantastic knowledge. (only messing):D

TBH I'm buying a new ssd before Christmas and I'm not budget constrained so I'm looking for the best sad I can get which is why I asked why the octane ssd's are so special.

Ah, ok, I see now. When I said "these haven't even been released yet" I was referring to the Octanes, not the M4's new firmware. ;)

If you want a crazy-fast SSD, have a look at the Intel ones. (Then again, the Octanes might well beat those with day-to-day stuff.. I haven't really been keeping up with SSDs so much recently.

Advertisement