Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Tuam?

Options
  • 07-11-2011 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

hi guys, My wife and i are thinking about moving to tuam. we`re currently living in galway city. both in late 20`s, more into relaxing weekends than partying. What is it like to raise a kid (newborn) ? is it a safe town ? Any answers would be much appreciated ! thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

how much do you bench?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

eh moved from Strength & Strength Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

jamezito wrote: »
    hi guys, My wife and i are thinking about moving to tuam. we`re currently living in galway city. both in late 20`s, more into relaxing weekends than partying. What is it like to raise a kid (newborn) ? is it a safe town ? Any answers would be much appreciated ! thanks :)

Why so far from city, you considered Claregalway. The right side of the traffic with the easy life as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭sean61

Tigger wrote: »
    how much do you bench?

Trigger you summed it up pretty well!
    Dont move to Tuam, seriously!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Full of unsavoury characters and a very run-down, unattractive town with few services.

Avoid like the plague; no place to bring up a famiy in my own opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

If you are working in Tuam, fine, but it's a fair drive if you are used to town. I'm about 2/3 of the distance away from town, whilst I Iike the area I'm in, the commute is the only part I hate. If you working in town it's a pain after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

I moved to Tuam 9 years ago. I'm not from there originally and I knew little about the town before moving there and had heard a lot of the "usual stuff" about Tuam from people that don't live there or know much about the place. I got a job in the town centre with a company that dealt with the local community every day and found the vast majority of people very friendly. In fact in the years I've lived there I have had no bad experience with any local from any background. Like any town in Ireland it has it's dodgy characters or maybe a street or two that has a bad rep.

My own children are in school in the town centre and are very happy, the primary school they are in is decent. There's a reasonable enough choice for food shopping for a town of it's size and a good few pubs and places to eat. You can get to larger supermarkets in around 20 minutes if you want a Tesco alternative to the local retailers.

House prices are affordable, when we bought (2003) we got far more for our money in a nice quiet cul-de-sac on the edge of town than we would have elsewhere at the time.

The sports clubs in and around the town are in my experiences with them, excellent. Tuam Celtic run a great underage set-up, hurling & camogie in the town and out in Sylane are great with a good community vibe around them. Some of the best gaelic football facilities in the country are on the outskirts of town. If you like your sports it's a good place, you've got a new-ish pool & gym which is up there with the best in the county. There's a good athletics club, a lovely park in the town centre, a rugby club, a golf club...

I no longer work in Tuam, and commute into Galway everyday. I don't bother driving as the bus connections are very good and quicker for where I need to be for work. You can also save a few quid by getting a tax saver ticket for the bus operator. Bus lane in and out of Claregalway so sitting in traffic is not too common if you're on the bus.
    I grew up in Kinvara, and heard what I now know is a load of snobby bull **** from people that don't know Tuam, or have heard one thing or another and it's been blown up out of proportion.

It's a decent little town and is well worth looking into for a young family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

sdeire wrote: »
    Full of unsavoury characters and a very run-down, unattractive town with few services.

What an insightful post......:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    And I suppose there are absolutely no ""unsavoury characters"" in North Co. Dublin.....???
    Maybe back in the 1800's when that phrase was last heard....

Every town has its good & bad points....You'll find that out easy enough with a quick drive around the town.....There are always a few pessimists who trot out the usual negative sweeping statements when they get the chance...
    Like any small town in the West of Ireland, it could do with a few more services here & there, which they are trying to work towards...
    I wouldn't knock it for that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

coup1917 wrote: »
    What an insightful post......:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    And I suppose there are absolutely no ""unsavoury characters"" in North Co. Dublin.....???
    Maybe back in the 1800's when that phrase was last heard....

Every town has its good & bad points....You'll find that out easy enough with a quick drive around the town.....There are always a few pessimists who trot out the usual negative sweeping statements when they get the chance...
    Like any small town in the West of Ireland, it could do with a few more services here & there, which they are trying to work towards...
    I wouldn't knock it for that though.

My comment doesn't come from inexperience. I have relations near Tuam and spend a couple of weeks a year down in the general area. It strikes me as run-down, untidy, and with an awful lot of travellers, etc. nearby to generally cause hassle. Maybe that doesn't qualify me to make remarks about the place but I feel it does.

It's not a ghetto like I maybe make it sound, but if you can find somewhere with

a) Better facilities
    b) Better neighbours
    c) Closer to Galway or wherever you work
    d) Better transport Links (one main road to Galway 32km away which is chronically congested by car, certainly at rush hour)

then go for that place instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Tuam is fine for bringing up any family.

It has almost everything you could want and need in fairness. It's not a far drive from Claremorris and Galway if you wanna go to Tesco's or do a good clothes shop. The night life is good if you like the pub scene.

Galwayspur summed it up nicely really.

The traffic however, is a completely different story. It's a nightmare at the moment. It really is atrocious...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭sean61

I've lived on the outskirts of tuam for most of my life and I wouldn't bring my family up there.
    yes the facilities are pretty good but it's the young people who let it down. I wudnt dream of walking that park on my own at night and I can stroll through the roughest parts of galway with no worries.
    I went to school there and pretty much hated it. Everybody is either a traveller or acting tough to fit in with them. Might be fine if you're middle aged but dont bring your kids there.
    My two cents....

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

sean61 wrote: »
    I've lived on the outskirts of tuam for most of my life and I wouldn't bring my family up there.
    yes the facilities are pretty good but it's the young people who let it down. I wudnt dream of walking that park on my own at night and I can stroll through the roughest parts of galway with no worries.
    I went to school there and pretty much hated it. Everybody is either a traveller or acting tough to fit in with them. Might be fine if you're middle aged but dont bring your kids there.
    My two cents....

Rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

galwayspur wrote: »
    Rubbish.
    Agreed. It's absolute rubbish.

Tuam has no more problems than other similar sized towns in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Tuam is a fantastic town with great character and a community spirit I haven't seen in any other town I've lived in. It may be lacking in some run of the mill recreation facilities but only since they already exist in Galway city and elsewhere nearby, so there hasn't been a market for them, and those that started, failed for that reason.

I would definitely recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

There is a preconceived image of Tuam and that is colouring a lot of the posts. The travellers are no more a problem than the locals.
    There are two soccer clubs in the town, then there is Tuam Stars with 400 members, the golf club has 700 members, the athletic club has 100 members and there are various activities in gyms and swimming pool during the week.
    There is a lot to do in Tuam, similar to other towns of its size. Of course there are problems but none more so than any other town of its size.
    I find it great for running/walking/cycling. Plenty of challenges in this regard. Great place to bring up a family despite the begrudgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 jamezito

Thanks a million guys for all the replies ! We`re heading up again sat to get a better feel for the place. Is there an alternative route to take rather than go through claregalway ? thanks again guys you`ve been a big help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

Have to agree,

Tuam is a great little town, it faces the same problem most towns of its size faces being so close to a major city. There are plenty of facilities around and numerous sports clubs. A good place to bring up a family, as you could have witnessed at the local county final in Tuam, lots of kids waving flags and having a great time. 6,000 odd people in the town and not a scrap of trouble.

A lot of people who have very little to do with the town seem to like offering their very limited experience of the place here, maybe they are just hanging around with the wrong crowd. There are always some rotten eggs in the basket.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 unclealbert

tuam is a grand spot,yes there is a lot of travellers in tuam but they keep to themselves,dont bother them and they wont bother you.I live here and i couldnt be happier.the one downside to the town is the hood rats,i wouldnt let them scumbags decide weather u move here or not,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Tuam is a towneen full of character, it's own language if you want to learn the phrases, great people, fabulous educational facilities, good businesses, excellent sports facilities, good employment opportunities, quaint pubs, good restaurants, p/p granted to Tesco, lovely people who will go out of their way for you, great mix of young and old, St Jarlaths football nursery now joined up with St Pats, the Saw Doctors, 2 hotels, banks , credit union, lovely fellas, lovely women, gossippy if you want it that way, inquisitive, funny. It has it's downsides as well, one of the main ones is that if you put down roots here, you'll find it very hard, very difficult, to pull them up again. Come on down and you're welcome sham. You're kids will enjoy every day and i'm sure they'll add their tuppence/haypenny to it over their life time. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 footmaster

Well said Headmaster, Yes Tuam has alot to offer, if your interested in availing of it!!!.... Any trouble that occurs is from a small minority of which are not travellers... most travellers are not troublesome and if they fight its within their own community which isnt often. Many famous and successful people have been either born, breed, educated or worked in Tuam and helped their career so it can't be all that bad. Let me finish by saying it is no different to any other town of its size, it's got the good and the bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Trigger you summed it up pretty well!
    Dont move to Tuam, seriously!!!
    sdeire wrote: »

My two cents....

OP, Please ignore these comments, people like this are Tuam's biggest problem.:rolleyes:

I live in Oranmore now, but would prefer Tuam any day of the week.

It's a town like no other. If you look for trouble, you will find it.

Tuam has one of the best parks in the country.

It has a fantastic leisure center with Pool and Gym, I'm a member of Ocean Fitness in Salthill which is regarded as one of the best gyms in Galway, Kingfisher Tuam is just as good as it...it is missing an Elite's weights room though.

Numerous sporting clubs already mentioned.

Some nice places to eat.

Some great places to drink, from quite & quaint to mental busy.

It puts on some really good festivals in summer like the Arts festival and Trad festival.

It's not just a town for sports, if you or the kids are any way artistic, Tuam has the Earwig arts group & Marian Choral Society for musicals. Always some live music on somewhere during the weekend.

Mario's - Best Chips......EVER!

Commuting from Tuam to Knocknacarra is about 1hr 20mins

Traffic in the town currently is beyond crap, but the town is going through a complete sewage system transformation, their is light at the end of the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Mr Keek wrote: »
    OP, Please ignore these comments, people like this are Tuam's biggest problem.:rolleyes:

Ignore the warnings in this thread at your peril.

Tuam is a kip.
    * It's clique-ish and unfriendly.
    * The accent is awful, they speak their own dialect ffs.
    * It has a higher than normal incidence of scumbags.
    * It has one decent restaurant.
    * It has one (small) park built on the side of a hill.
    * The traffic is a real pain, always has been and always will be.
    * Roads are a joke, so you can't even escape quickly.

My advice if you really want to live in the area - don't. A few miles out is fine, that way you get the best of both worlds.

Jaden wrote: »
    Ignore the warnings in this thread at your peril.

Tuam is a kip.
    * It's clique-ish and unfriendly.
    * The accent is awful, they speak their own dialect ffs.
    * It has a higher than normal incidence of scumbags.
    * It has one decent restaurant.
    * It has one (small) park built on the side of a hill.
    * The traffic is a real pain, always has been and always will be.
    * Roads are a joke, so you can't even escape quickly.

My advice if you really want to live in the area - don't. A few miles out is fine, that way you get the best of both worlds.

Jaden,
    that's some advise coming from someone who's shown as being from Dublin. Keep your advice, your needles, accent, pyjamas clad mommies, smells, etc etc. We're doing very well, thank you very much.

headmaster wrote: »
    Jaden,
    that's some advise coming from someone who's shown as being from Dublin. Keep your advice, your needles, accent, pyjamas clad mommies, smells, etc etc. We're doing very well, thank you very much.

My Experience of Tuam is extensive and recent. It is an honest opinion of someone who lives quite near, and has done so for a long time. It is noted that you didn't attempt to refute anything I said. Very telling in itself. You could almost say that's very "Tuam" of you.

You have proven my point without meaning to do so. OP take note.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Not a fan! Traffic is a disaster or at least was when I used to live in Galway. Has a grim feel to it. Much prefer Barna, Moycullen etc.

In fact I wouldn't live in Claregalway either, that whole side of Galway is horrible. West of city is so much easier for traffic and it has nice scenery. More culture too. I'd even opt for Oranmore side over Tuam. Good facilities for families. Quick spin into city and you have The Burren on your doorstep for all kinds of outdoor activities.

Jaden wrote: »
    My Experience of Tuam is extensive and recent. It is an honest opinion of someone who lives quite near, and has done so for a long time. It is noted that you didn't attempt to refute anything I said. Very telling in itself. You could almost say that's very "Tuam" of you.

You have proven my point without meaning to do so. OP take note.

Jaded,
    You yourself give your location as Dublin, then you write this,
    "My Experience of Tuam is extensive and recent. It is an honest opinion of someone who lives quite near".
    I think Tuam is lucky in not having liars like you. Most people know where they're from, you seem to be the exception. Your comments don't need any refuting, they're very nasty, spiteful words, that are written by an individual with problems and a very big chip on their shoulder. I will not be engaging in any further debate with such a vindictive individual. Consider yourself one very fortunate citizen in getting me to correspond . Perhaps you have now massaged your ego by succeeding in this, it was done to help with your obvious failings. Please don't bother replying to this, I certainly wwill not be giving further comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

Jaded,
    "My Experience of Tuam is extensive and recent. It is an honest opinion of someone who lives quite near".
    I think Tuam is lucky in not having liars like you. Most people know where they're from, you seem to be the exception. Your comments don't need any refuting, they're very nasty, spiteful words, that are written by an individual with problems and a very big chip on their shoulder. I will not be engaging in any further debate with such a vindictive individual. Consider yourself one very fortunate citizen in getting me to correspond . Perhaps you have now massaged your ego by succeeding in this, it was done to help with your obvious failings. Please don't bother replying to this, I certainly wwill not be giving further comment.

In fairness I'm not from Dublin and I think Jaded is telling it like it is! Although I disagree with the accent thing as people have different accents everywhere, this is natural. She could have worded her reply better. Most Galway folk don't particularly warm to Tuam? It should not matter that Jaded is from Dublin by the way?

Jaded,

I'm from Dublin. I own a house in Galway, where I settled fifteen years ago. I currently work in Dublin, but my wife and children live in Galway, as do I, work permitting. I can see Tuam from my bedroom window.

I have no axe to grind about Tuam specifically, but a place to settle down and raise a family it is not. I'm sure if you are native, this becomes an entirely different proposition, but then again. people born in Finglas often choose to stay in Finglas, despite the many mitigating factors.

I remarked honestly on an honest question. In two subsequent posts, you have not attempted to refute or even discuss a single point I made, instead you choose to personalize things. Again, you have vindicated my point in a more convincing manner than I ever could.

As for replying, you probably will. You have failed Tuam twice in this thread. Your silence now would be a tacit hat-trick of failure. Everyone can see from the progression of this thread that not even Tuam natives can refute the true nature of Tuam. It is a dark spot on the west at worst, and at best, to be tolerated. It is not without it's positives, but it's many negatives outweigh these.

tl;dr - Avoid Tuam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

Valiant defence anyway headmaster, for not having any ammunition.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Folks,

Please do not resort to insults and baiting of other posters, if you cannot put your points across in a civil manner don't bother posting.

The OP has more than enough information to go on now so I'm closing this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement