Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIAM grade 5 composers biog

Options
  • 07-11-2011 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi, has anyone been able to find any biographical info on Aidan Duggan (Sentimental Rumba)? My daughter is doing the grade 5 exam in a couple of weeks and needs background info on the composers, any info welcome, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

sjon wrote: »
    Hi, has anyone been able to find any biographical info on Aidan Duggan (Sentimental Rumba)? My daughter is doing the grade 5 exam in a couple of weeks and needs background info on the composers, any info welcome, thanks

She shouldn't need any biographical information.

Last year, the RIAM put out a request for new works by Irish composers, and I suspect that's where Duggan's piece came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sjon

Thanks. She learns about the composers for every exam, think she's been asked a few background questions about them too. So he's Irish is he?

Thanks. She learns about the composers for every exam, think she's been asked a few background questions about them too. So he's Irish is he?

I'd imagine so, given the name, but I'd never heard of him before that piece.

I've just had a look at the RIAM syllabus and there's no requirement to know background information on the composers as far as I can see, and I don't believe any of my students have been asked either. It's still good practice, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sjon

My daughter checked with her teacher, she said for grade 5 and above you need to know about the composers, maybe it's just a ploy though to get her more interested :)

My daughter checked with her teacher, she said for grade 5 and above you need to know about the composers, maybe it's just a ploy though to get her more interested :)

That's my theory:)

As far as I recall, you do need to know about the composers for Associated Boards exams, but not for the Academy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Nice piece though,

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

Aiden Duggan is a Cork based teacher/composer who has been affiliated with the RIAM for years. I did an exam myself outside Cork City about 6/7 years ago and he was the administrator for the centre.

I think he teaches in Fermoy but a lot of his compositions are based around techniques that young students should be learning. He is one of the most consistent private piano teachers I know of in the Munster area and is heavily involved with music education.

And a lovely lovely man too!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

Advertisement