Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

firewood processor

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

reilig wrote: »

Coillte harvesting managers specifically say that the wood that they sell is green unseasoned wood - usually no longer than a week harvested as harvesting sites are usually cleared quickly

Also, sika will weigh a good bit heavier than norway spruce. I'd prefer a load of sika than a load or norway - mainly for the extra burn time!!

I have to smile at what coillte foresters sometimes tell people. :rolleyes: my experience of coillte sites is yes the majority of the timber is moved pretty quickly but the few loads sold as firewood are generally the bits of stacks that couldn't be fit onto a last load or a few small stacks that were forgotton about - thats why i reckon they might be a lot drier than te majority.

interesting what you say about sitka spruce v norway....havnt any experience of burning norway but i would of thought because its a slower grower it would be slightly denser and make the same or slightly better firewood.......even though you get extra burn time outta the sitka would it give out as much heat pound for pound? i suppose the difference cant be that great between two strains of the one family

there are several factors that determine the weight of wood, including how long the wood has been seasoned and what type of wood it is. Whe you buy by weight, there is no way to determine how much you will receive. It would be better to buy by m3

agree 100%. generally if anyone is buying small scale like discussed here it might be best to just agree a price for a full lorry/artic load....general guidline is add €5-10/t to softwoods if it has say 3 months drying and €10-20/t for hardwoods......of course if you get dry stuff and nobody looks for any extra then say nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

From talking to harvesting and transport contractors timber moves very fast off harvesting sites these days. Coillte's policy is to put terms into contracts that payment will only be made when the harvesting site is completely clear. It's a serious bone of contention with contractors. Their policy is to clear all as the forwarder is dropping it - even a half load at the end. This ensures prompt payment.

Sika at 20% moisture weighs about 10% heavier than Norway in my experience and Burns longer. made

Coillte harvesting managers specifically say that the wood that they sell is green unseasoned wood - usually no longer than a week harvested as harvesting sites are usually cleared quickly

Also, sika will weigh a good bit heavier than norway spruce. I'd prefer a load of sika than a load or norway - mainly for the extra burn time!!

I have to smile at what coillte foresters sometimes tell people. :rolleyes: my experience of coillte sites is yes the majority of the timber is moved pretty quickly but the few loads sold as firewood are generally the bits of stacks that couldn't be fit onto a last load or a few small stacks that were forgotton about - thats why i reckon they might be a lot drier than te majority.

interesting what you say about sitka spruce v norway....havnt any experience of burning norway but i would of thought because its a slower grower it would be slightly denser and make the same or slightly better firewood.......even though you get extra burn time outta the sitka would it give out as much heat pound for pound? i suppose the difference cant be that great between two strains of the one family

hmmm i suppose we've experienced opposite ends of the coillte spectrum reilig (many colours it has too!:eek:)...whatever anyone says about coillte, they certainly draw debate out of people..unfortunately its often more serious than this thread:o

Advertisement