Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

amerian shop in the ilac

• 07-11-2011 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

I was going to buy a watch in this shop a few weeks ago and the guy behind the till refused to give a reciept, and kept saying that the item was not accepted for returns, I know its not an overly expensive watch about 40/50 euro, but it made me re consider buying it, and not only was the guy refusing any refund, he was asking me personal imformation, it was a bit creepy, so I just left the shop.

Anyhow two weeks ago the guy I was buying it for came back with a watch from the shop, ive just seen him now and the watch slipped off his arm and the strap broke in two places
    is there any comeback or should we confront managment? It all seems very ropey about how the staff speak to customers and refusing to even give a reciept!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Did you pay with cash or credit/debit card? If you used a card then a card statement may suffice as proof of purchase.

Why was the sales person refusing to give a receipt? Sounds dodgy to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

I picked out the watch and when I asked for a box or something to put it in, he put it in bubble wrap and said, this has no guarantee and you cant bring it back, I was like.. Eh.. Ok? Then I was going to get the money to pay and he started asking personal questions, where am I from, what am I up to in town, my name, why wasnt there a man with me (I was buying a male watch on my own), it just felt wierd, like fair enough have a waffle, but this wasnt your usual friendly chat, when I stopped answering him he got into a huff, after that I wasnt getting a reciept either, no idea why, he just made his own rules.

the attitude he had towards me I just brushed it off although at the time it was awkward, and I dont think it has anything to do with the reciept this time.

I had been in the shop a couple of times over the past two years and I actually bought a males fitted cap last christmas and never got a reciept then either. Previous to that a guy I know was buying jeans and he was followed around the store, he left as he felt as though he was being harrassed.

I dont know, maybe they sell to people that are constantly trying to rip them off or something?

he has the watch less than 3 weeks and its broke, so im sure they guy onn the till knew they were dodgy.

needless to say we will be avoiding the store from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

bfocusd wrote: »
    I picked out the watch and when I asked for a box or something to put it in, he put it in bubble wrap and said, this has no guarantee and you cant bring it back.
    Absolute 100% bullcrap.

No guarantee? What planet is this guy from? He needs to read up on consumer law and make sure he understands it.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html

http://www.consumerassociation.ie/

I can't understand why he wouldn't give a receipt though :confused: I am not sure if they are a legal requirement, but you are legally entitled to a receipt.

Was the watch paid for using cash or a debit/credit card?

I'd go back into him and ask for a refund, repair or replacement, if he refuses tell him (or send a letter by registered post) you are going to file a claim against him through the Small Claims Court.

You can file a claim for the Small Claims Court online and it costs around €15.

Sorry forgot to say, it was cash.

I dont understand it either, ive had a few times where I bought something and it was faulty, the people replaced them without question. Some without a reciept even.

I dont think they really have any idea of consumer rights, it seems to be a shop that has its own rules.

the lad that bought it wouldnt usually be silly about stuff like that, but hes laid back and thought nothing of not getting a reciept seeing that the watch was only a dress watch, nothing majorly expensive, he wasnt told about the reciept, just fobbed off with his change. But he was told their is no guarantee or come back.

have a look if your in the ilac, its at the entrance beside the market im sure if you see the cloths and jewlery you can get an idea of the shops general consumers, im not saying its all tacky or anything either, some stuff is nice, but the majority is aimed at teenage boys with money. So im sure they get played all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

bfocusd wrote: »
    where am I from, what am I up to in town, my name, why wasnt there a man with me (I was buying a male watch on my own), it just felt wierd, like fair enough have a waffle, but this wasnt your usual friendly chat
    Sounds like he knew it was faulty and wanted to see who he offload it on with minimal risk of them returning to complain. If you looked/sound from outside dublin or Ireland he might have thought he was onto a winner.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Sounds like he knew it was faulty and wanted to see who he offload it on with minimal risk of them returning to complain. If you looked/sound from outside dublin or Ireland he might have thought he was onto a winner.

Born and lived in dublin my entire life.. Its bad business at the end of the day and we wont be returning

Advertisement