Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P. Digital weighing scales

Options
  • 07-11-2011 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

:( My weighing scales has died *cries* it'll be Thursday before I bake again *wails* unless I want to make something from my US cookbook with my trusty cup measures. But I miss it so much already *sobs*.

Is there one particular piece of kitchen equipment you just couldn't do without?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I remember making almond fingers (that's what I called them, I guess they were a little bit more like bakewell flat fingers lol) in someones' house and my goodness the lack of bakeware!

They had a tiny weightwatchers style weighing scales so I had to measure in portions. No sieve, no spatula. Managed a wooden spoon. No rolling pin, had to use a slightly uneven glass to roll out my pastry. Didn't have a proper mixing bowl. Had to whisk the egg whites by hand with a small whisk (might not be hard for some but tis hard when you're not used to it!). Didn't have a great tray to bake on, did have greaseproof paper though. Turned out alright and got eaten!

It's funny how easy it is to forget how lost you'd be without simple items, like an electric whisk, or a rolling pin, or especially a weighing scales. I'd be lost without lots of items I think lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

electric whisk, piping bag, and my zester x

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

Rest in Peace little guy.

I'll always remember that time you weighed the flour for me, on that cold Tuesday evening, I got it so wrong and ended up ruining the surprise birthday cake. And the time you weighed the icing sugar, which I then proceeded to spill all over the table. I laughed so hard. It's so hard to believe it. They say time heals. I sincerely hope so. I'll never forget the time you got absolutely covered in chocolate when you were weighing melted chocolate for me. I'll hold these memories dear to me forever. I won't forget you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You checked the battery right? with a brand new one. Sometimes they need a kick start, also leave it in the hotpress or warm area for a while, I have had ones work again.

I would be lost without a scissors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I love my digital weighing scales too, and it's only a cheap Argos one.

I had to bake some cakes in my mother's house a few weeks back and I brought most of my baking supplies but didn't bother bringing the scales as she assured me that she definitely had one. When I went to start baking she pulled a decorative analogue scale out of the corner. It was functional but almost impossible to read and couldn't hold more than a couple hundred grams at a time. Plus, the metal bowl it came with had rusted.

The cakes were fine (except for the batch I ruined all by myself by measuring baking soda in tablespoons instead of teaspoons. I blame scale-related stress!) but it made me appreciate my digital scales. Next time I'll just drive to Argos and spend €15 on a digital scales for her!

Aside from the scales I love my Wilton 1m icing tip and hand mixer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Aww I lost a digital scales once when it sploshed into the washing basin :( I was devastated. It's an essential.

+1 for the wilton 1m tip, it's the shiz for creating icecream like swirls on cupcakes. I also depend on a hand mixer. For years a biffnett one did the job great until the smoke monster got it, burned out I guess. Then I was given a red kenwood for christmas and it's great for stiff whips and general mixing. It's essential for the noodle-armed amongst us that have no measurable upper body strength!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Eviledna wrote: »
    Aww I lost a digital scales once when it sploshed into the washing basin
    If stuff like this (e.g. phones), fall in water the first thing to do is take out the battery ASAP. Then at least leave it in the hotpress for a week or ontop of a warm TV decoder or something which is always a little warm.

This sounds mad but it can be better to soak them in distilled water to wash off the tap water as it contains salt which will short circuit the electronics. It can be soaked in spirits too. The white ice that forms in the top of your freezer is essentially distilled water so you can take a chunk off and defrost it to wash the stuff with. Then leave dry out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 June97

I cant do without my red rubber spatchula (excuse my spelling) , I got it years ago in a pound shop and over the years I have tried other ones, I still go back to this one.

Agree with you on the weighing scales, I couldnt live without it. Last time mine broke I replaced it with a cheap one in argos and it works just as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I might have to get a cheapy one for now eventually I want to get a red retro type one to go with the other stuff in the kitchen, because it's always out on the counter. I guess a manual one would be handier in the long run, that way there's no worry of battery running out halfway through baking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭COH

Is there one particular piece of kitchen equipment you just couldn't do without?

My girlfriend :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

lol if she sees this you're gonna get a right slap.

I have so many things I couldn't do without now I need bigger cupboards.

Advertisement