Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple of Questions

• 07-11-2011 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I'm thinking of switching from BIS into Arts at the end of the year as BIS isn't really working out for me. Just wondering, if I fail my end of year BIS exams will this have an adverse effect on my move into Arts?

Secondly, in arts I want to do English and german (I know I have to pick 2 others but those are the ones I'll be focusing on.) Just would like to know what type of topics are covered in English?

And finally, how many hours would an arts student have?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

I transfered from Biochem to Arts this year. No it wont have any affect on the move to Arts. 1st year Arts your talking between 16-20 hours a week. Dunno about English cos I aint doing it but a few posters on boards are doing English. Hopefully they'll be able to help you with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

I would try pass your exams even if you hate your course. Looks good on your CV and shows maturity - failing your exams looks bad on the CV and you will get asked about it in most interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I'm in First English atm, and I love it so far tbh! You cover a broad spectrum of topics throughout the year..the modules change every few weeks so there's lots of variety, and not enough time to get bored of anything really.

So far, I've done Old English Literature, Modern Poetry, and I've just started Renaissance Poetry. We've also had 2 modules in foundations of criticism of poetry, and foundations of criticism of fiction. These basically provide us with information and vocab we'll need to write essays and critique different work.

You have only one tutorial a week, and attendance at it is worth 5% of the year.

The lecturers make podcasts of the lectures and put them on Blackboard which is the handiest thing in the world if you happen to miss a lecture, or even if there's a gap in your notes from class.

One of my friends is in second year atm, and she's doing English and German. From talking to her, she has a lot of work and assignments to do. The workload seems to be quite substantial, but when you think about it, it's no different really from second year in any other course. The workload steps up. But she does enjoy it all the same.

I hope this has been somewhat helpful to you:) Good luck with the rest of the year!

Advertisement