Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delia's Classic Christmas Cake

Options
  • 07-11-2011 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Hi, I just bought a box of Delia's Classic Christmas Cake prepared ingredients in Dunnes today. Has anyone tried it before? any tips? I have never made a Christmas cake before. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Goodne wrote: »
    Hi, I just bought a box of Delia's Classic Christmas Cake prepared ingredients in Dunnes today. Has anyone tried it before? any tips? I have never made a Christmas cake before. Thanks

Delia's recipe is brilliant. My family have been using it for years.

At the risk of sounding negative (and I hope I don't), I'd return the pre-packaged ingredients. I find that the off the shelf mixed peels and nuts aren't great quality. I'd be far more inclined to get them from a good quality health food shop and to make your own peel. It makes a massive difference to the flavour. Even shelling the almonds that day makes a massive difference in quality.

Lots of work I know, but the taste is amazing.

Best of luck wiht the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

HardyEustace; thanks for the reply. Yeah I guess your right about the quality of the ingredients, but I'm not a massive fan of fruit cake (just making it to eat the marzipan & icing lol). My mam makes her own peel & uses high quality fruit & I find the cake hard to eat; guess I just have cheap taste!! Going to give it a try anyway. Thanks

Hi, I made the cake in mid October; the recipe said to "feed" the cake with brandy/ rum at intervals. When / how often should I be doing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 GAAFan123

Goodne wrote: »
    Hi, I made the cake in mid October; the recipe said to "feed" the cake with brandy/ rum at intervals. When / how often should I be doing this?

One a week or more or less if you like. Use a cocktail stick to poke 50 small holes in one side of the cake and use a teaspoon to drizzle the alcohol inside. The next time you feed the cake you can do the other side of it. Could you tell me how deep your cake was? I'm making Delia's recipe as well ( with a twist ) and I'm wondering if the cake itself is a small bit thin?

GAAFan123, the cake is about 3" deep. Thanks for the advice on feeding the cake

• Advertisement
Advertisement