Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grease trap questions

• 07-11-2011 9:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭

i have the intention of installing one, the one that i have seen in the builders providers has the outlet and inlet at two different levels, as i have an existing septic tank in place this will not work, can i have one purpose built, with the entry and exit levels the same, btw the price of the ready built one is 250 euro, this makes the home made one essential, an empty 5gl oil drum should do inside concrete block walls, thanks in advance for your replys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

flutered wrote: »
    i have the intention of installing one, the one that i have seen in the builders providers has the outlet and inlet at two different levels, as i have an existing septic tank in place this will not work, can i have one purpose built, with the entry and exit levels the same, btw the price of the ready built one is 250 euro, this makes the home made one essential, an empty 5gl oil drum should do inside concrete block walls, thanks in advance for your replys.

Doesn't the outlet have to be lower than the inlet in order for the grease to float in the top of the trap and allow the water to be removed from underneath it??? Also, the inlet and outlet at different levels prevents smells from coming back through your sewer system and having a stink smell at your back door!!!

If it was possible to build one out of blocks and an old oil drum then everyone would be doing it ;)

price around, there are a couple of different sizes and prices!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

http://www.jfc.ie/GreaseTraps.html

Here is one above.

I dont know the price but i use to buy them. You can also buy them from cork plastics. Its been a while and feel free to correct me if wrong but if you make your own version of these you have to pay for a cert from the council to say it passed inspection where as buying one you only have to produce the fitted product and receipt.

For my money these cost 250 roughly. You will not get them much cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

i believe that the bought one has a container inside which needs to be emptyd when required, my query is how can it be fitted to an existing sewerage system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Its fitted in line like an access junction would be. The insert pulls out through the lid. Provided you have space its not much of a problem. However its usually fitted where no water can ingress.

Advertisement