Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog in or out?

• 07-11-2011 9:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 104 ✭✭

I have always had "big" dogs and so leaving them out on cold nights was never really an issue. But now I have a king charles, he is 6+ months. In the garden I have a small, suitably sized kennel with a dog flap on the front.

Are these dogs able to cope with cold weather or should I be taking him in. He is an outdoor dog, that is to say never in the house and uses his kennel when sleeping.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Never in the house?

King Charles are very small to be out when its really cold, I always imagined they were delicate dogs :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Never in the house?? So when does he get human interaction and company?? Why bother having a dog if hes never in the house...

King charles are toy breeds and are not designed to live outside. So please bring your dog inside. I really cat fathom why people think its ok to leave any dog outside in the cold, even more so when its a little dog like a King Charles...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

King Charles are small dogs ... They are not designed to be outdoor dogs!!! What is the point of having a dog and they are NEVER in the house????? For gods sake they are pack animals they need company! I have a cocker and would NEVER leave him outside unless in work, spaniels are very social able dogs, they don't react well at being alone all the time!

I just cannot understand why you would get a king Charles ... And at 6 months never allow them in the house.... What a very lonely life for a small dog!

In answer.,.. NO they are far too small to be outside even in this cold weather, their fur is thin ....
    Personally all my dogs have been indoor dogs but I do know done people have dogs ( not small dogs) sleeping outside which is fine if it suits the dog, but they do allow the dogs in at other times!!

Why bother getting a dog if they are never allowed in???
    Why?

The poor little dog.... It's very cold out there I feel very sorry for him!

My cocker is curled up on the couch... And will sleep beside a radiator tonight and he's far bigger than ur king Charles!

Have some compassion let him sleep inside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Op, he needs to be kept indoors at night, especially when the last few nights are getting colder.

Once they are housetrained there should not be any problem, is there a reason why you dont want them indoors.

I have 4 labs ranging from 10+ years to 8mts and they alway's sleept indoors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

OP by all means do not leave the dog outside in this freezing cold weather especially at night. Personally, my dogs have always slept indoors and always will. If having the dog inside if of concern (for whatever reason which is beyond me) at least even in the utility room the dog will be happier and healthier. The dog wants to be warm and feel close to their owner thats all he wants, nothing more ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Sorry people but can we tone down the posts a bit please, the message is starting to get a bit lost tbh. There's no point getting peoples backs up, the OP started this thread so its safe to assume they are open to helpful advice, it's more likely to be taken on board if it's delivered in the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Maybe the OP doesn't know much about small dogs but at least he/she cared enough to ask the question, so that's a good start.
    My two have large pet carriers (airline ones) with beds inside covered in soft blankets and they sleep in those in the utility room at night. Outside they have a purpose built run with a large kennel in which my hubby (a sparks) installed a special heating panel that can't burn them in any way. This is worked on a timer and comes on several times a day when the weather is cold if I am at work.
    But I do know people who leave dogs outside or in flimsy sheds at night no matter what the weather and its usually cause they don't know any better or haven't given it enough thought. Simply pointing it out to them nicely is the best way and, if that doesn't work, then let rip:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

yes maybe the OP hasn't much experience with dogs but jesus it's bitter out there don't leave him out there :eek::eek: I'm even worried about my cats out there and they are not really indoor cats. Just as a matter of curiosity I have a new wooden shed in my back garden which I'm getting a cat-flap for should my cats be ok in there if I put a few cosy blankets in and that? They are little sods sometimes are too busy chasing to come in:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I wouldn't say so, OP. Cavs have quite thin coats so, if this winter is anything like last years, it won't be enough to keep him warm.

All my dogs always slept outside (though were allowed in during the day), but I moved my Cairns (quite heavy coated) inside last winter when it got bad and now we've all gotten used to it, though they're still out during the day.

FWIW, I find that the best bedding for winter is a good deep pile of straw that they can dig down into. Make sure your kennel is well insulated too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Justask wrote: »
    Never in the house?

King Charles are very small to be out when its really cold, I always imagined they were delicate dogs :confused:
    i have three dogs, they are always in the house, sleep on sofa, and kitchen, eat with us, walked 2 times a day, 2 yrs old and house trained, would not dream of leaving them outside unless i am with them, love them too much for that, they need interaction all the time, it is worth giving them time, it pays off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Ive 2 "big dogs" (boxers) and they are both house pets :),both snoring here beside me :)Cavaliers are very sociable dogs and want nothing more than to curl up beside ye on the sofa.I deffo wouldnt leave him out at night.You could even get a large crate for the kitchen??for him to sleep in at night

Advertisement