Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Potterton boiler fault.

• 07-11-2011 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

I keep getting a pump fault low pressure fault on my 5 year old gas boiler.

The pressure on both the boiler pressure gauge and the fill valve gauge is reading 1.5 - 2.0+ pressure. Good.

When left on the 2 mins of the fault light coming on and the pump running, the boiler lights and works normally. It used to light within 4 seconds.

Any suggestions on what has become faulty? Im hoping it is simply a sensor. The pump sounds and runs like new. And heats the 7 rads well.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

What model of Potterton is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Ok. so I have been looking at all the basic problems it could be. I have pressure, I have zero air in the rads.

So I had a look inside the boiler.

there is a low pressure switch on the flow. Its open circuit when there is pressure in the system according to the wiring diagram.

So I disconnected one terminal and the checked. Problem solved. But not fixed.

I reconnected the terminal and turned on the boiler again. I manually reached in the tapped the body the hydraulic differential pressure valve mechanism , the plunger pushed out and again she started up.

. At least it may be sticking . Can these be disassembled, cleaned up and reused? It looks like there maybe some sort of diaphram inside. Should I be looking at why this valve is not working correctly. I did have past trouble with the auto bleeder. It leaked water from its top cap. After I tightened it , it stopped.

I am hearing a little air in the system when I put my ear to the pump. Very little.
    Its a performa HE. I think.. no labels anywhere.
    imag0242uu.jpg
    imag0243f.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Are you an RGI?

No. But I want to understand what the problem is and buy the parts myself for a service man to fit.

I dont trust anyone I dont know to mess with it.

gsxr1 wrote: »

So I had a look inside the boiler.

there is a low pressure switch on the flow. Its open circuit when there is pressure in the system according to the wiring diagram.

So I disconnected one terminal and the checked. Problem solved. But not fixed.

I reconnected the terminal and turned on the boiler again. I manually reached in the tapped the body the hydraulic differential pressure valve mechanism

gsxr1 wrote: »
    But I want to understand what the problem is and buy the parts myself for a service man to fit. .
    :pac::pac:;)

• Advertisement

gary71 wrote: »
    :pac::pac:;)

Yeah. I wont interere with any part of the appliance that involves the combustion process.

Its the pump system after all.

Its my property. Am not doing it for gain. I have heard of rgi lads change everything but the right part costing a client a fortune.

Not that any of ye guys are like that. If I can get to the bottom of it. I will.

Not really up for a debate on RGI rules.

Not rules, safety, where you see no risk I see a potential risk.

Try ringing the manufactures they may give you the heads up or point you in the direction of a decent RGI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bheat

What was the problem in the end.. I have identical problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bheat

what was the reason for these faults as I have identical symptoms with my boiler locking out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

bheat wrote: »
    what was the reason for these faults as I have identical symptoms with my boiler locking out!

He can't answer as he blew himself up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

shane0007 wrote: »
    He can't answer as he blew himself up.

The giggling pin was stuck in the laughinshaft. Common enough

Advertisement