Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hannibal [NBC/Sky Living] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

duploelabs wrote: »
    I thought it was from giving him hallucinogens rather than hypnosis

Yeah, it was the drugs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Azwaldo55 wrote: »
    There is a sculpture of a stag in Lecter's office.
    The stag in the dream sequences is a Wendigo which was a monster which appeared in the legends of Algonquian people of the US and Canada and indicated an intense craving for human flesh.

Cheers. I still wish they'd f*ck off ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Michael Pitt in Hannibal reminds me so much of the Joker. The little mannerisms and the way he talks, and the creepy voice.
    Loving this series. Have to watch it when it's dark. Just like The Walking Dead. Tried watching an episode in the middle of the day, had to turn it off. Much better at night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Azwaldo55

In Hannibal Rising, the young Hannibal grew up in Lithuania where his family were of noble birth and they were killed in the see saw fighting on the Eastern Front during WW2. His daughter Mischa was killed and turned into a stew by starving Nazi soldiers and Hannibal also ate his mouth "greedy on the spoon." After he became a doctor Lecter tracked down and killed them all. His noble upbringing accounts for Hannibal's exquisite taste for finery, elegance, manners and sophistication while his trauma fuels his murderous hatred for the rude who he considers pigs.

I hope they touch on this later in the show.

Obviously the rebooted Lecter in the TV series is far too young to have been a child during World War 2 so I wonder how they will explain his back story?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

S02E12

Network TV censorship pushed to its absolute limits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    S02E12

Network TV censorship pushed to its absolute limits!

It's OK there's no nudity so no-one cares at NBC -
    the pigs had the decency to eat the Sardinian's dick
    to ensure it could be shown :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Jesus that was amazing so fecked up but great viewing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Free range rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭shazzerman

I was skeptical at first, but I've grown to love this "fleshing out" of the whole narrative built around Hannibal Lecter through books and films. I will certainly be interested to see who they cast as Francis Dolarhyde next season (assuming that next season will see the beginning of the RED DRAGON/MANHUNTER storyline).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

shazzerman wrote: »
    (assuming that next season will see the beginning of the RED DRAGON/MANHUNTER storyline).
    I think Red Dragon is set to be Season 4, Silence being 5 and Hannibal 6 and then the 7th season is set after the events of Hannibal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Yowch! I watched that around 6am this morning after being out last night. Michael Pitt engaging in auto-cannibalism in the dawn's early light was a lot for my fragile little brain to handle at that point, let me tell you.

Have to say I'm getting very intrigued to read the books now, never would have had any interest before. I'm broadly aware of the main events from having watched/half-paid attention to the films over the years but I'd love to know more of where the show departs/pays homage.

I love that winston is so much of a moral centre of fuzzy feelgoodies that they went out of their way to make sure we knew he didn't eat human flesh :D (he's got to be one of about five named characters who haven't at this point)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Brilliant series, love it
    Hopefully it runs the full 7 series course
    Fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I'd be surprised if Hannibal is getting played by Will into revealing himself to Jack. I know Hannibal -v- Jack is coming but I can't believe that it will be born out of a candle light "lol I'm the guy you've been looking for" admission from Hannibal.

It was a pleasure to see Gillian Anderson again, some insight into Hannibal's long game.

I found the neck cut more disturbing than Mason's face and nose situation. I must say, though, whatever about the blood and guts, I sometimes find the more trippy drugs (or living in Will's psyche) stuff a bit testing, really, and by extension, intellectually, I'm sometimes not sure about the show. But, it is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Oh, Mason and Margo........What a story!......

Can-not wait for the Friday Finale!.....:)

It's going to be good folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Preview for next episode http://youtu.be/PI_Vwhj-TK8

Given the nods to the movies and books by way of using lines from them, I predict it will end with Hannibal having an old friend for dinner. Alana maybe?

Ipso wrote: »
    Given the nods to the movies and books by way of using lines from them, I predict it will end with Hannibal having an old friend for dinner. Alana maybe?

Oh, she's a gonner for sure....she gave the game away about Will when he sniffed the gunpowder off her!...Hannibal knows Will will always carry that torch....I hope Will adopts Applesauce...

Will adopts Applesauce...
    Apple sauce for Long pig?? :)

• Advertisement

Apple sauce for Long pig?? :)

:eek:

Lol, Bryan Fuller said previously "no dogs would be harmed in the making of this series".......

Or words to that effect......the diet though after last weeks episode may be questionable!!......:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

Links234 wrote: »
    I think Red Dragon is set to be Season 4, Silence being 5 and Hannibal 6 and then the 7th season is set after the events of Hannibal

From what I gather, certian changes have been made to the current seasons because the show does not have the rights to ANY characters from Silence of the Lambs, so I really don't know how they are going to progress the series in a direction that inevitably collides with that storyline without the rights to tell it?

conorhal wrote: »
    From what I gather, certian changes have been made to the current seasons because the show does not have the rights to ANY characters from Silence of the Lambs, so I really don't know how they are going to progress the series in a direction that inevitably collides with that storyline without the rights to tell it?
    Eh, off the top of my head the characters in silence of the lambs that have featured already are.....
    Hannibal Lecter.
    Jack Crawford.
    Beverly Katz.
    Dr. Chilton.

So I would say they have some rights to the major characters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

Eh, off the top of my head the characters in silence of the lambs that have featured already are.....
    Hannibal Lecter.
    Jack Crawford.
    Beverly Katz.
    Dr. Chilton.

I think it's mainly Clarice Starling that's the problem, I remember reading it's her they don't have the rights to. Some other network had a series called "Starling" in the works, as far as I know, that never happened. Fuller has talked about hoping to sort it out by the time it comes to "Silence of the Lambs".

I imagine if they couldn't get it sorted, they'd just introduce a similar character to fulfil the same function

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

Hannibal Lecter.
    Jack Crawford.
    Beverly Katz.
    Dr. Chilton.

OK I should have said any characters 'exclusive' to Silence of the lambs. The series was based on the purchase of the rights to 'Red Dragon'. I've seen it mentioned however that they cannot, for example, mention Clarice Starling or Jame Gumb as MGM hold the rights to those characters.

According to wikipedia Fuller said he tried to get the rights to Barney Matthews, an orderly at the Baltimore State Hospital, but were denied usage rights so character based on Barney appears in the second season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

It's any character that first appeared in Silence of the Lambs that they can't use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

bloody hell and then .... oh my god that bitch

Well, after that finale I'm more glad than ever that it has been renewed... the 'in the pantry' line probably the most hilariously scary line yet in this series. Incredible stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SHANAbert

I don't even know where to start with how good that episode was. You think you have an idea of what has to happen....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭smilerf

WOW JUST WOW!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭liamtech

EPIC! that was out of this world phenomenal - 11/10

I do worry that the show will be cancelled though - i know we at least have season 3, but is there enough interest domestically in the states? Quick glance at the reviews and some are FANTASTIC and accurately acknowledge the greatness of this episode:

http://www.tv.com/shows/hannibal-2012/community/post/hannibal-season-2-episode-13-mizumono-review-140043508623/

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Hannibal-Season2-Finale-Postmortem-Bryan-Fuller-1082245.aspx

BUT: as per usual there are a couple reviews that are effectively saying (american style): JUST CATCH HIM ALREADY!

http://variety.com/2014/tv/columns/hannibal-season-finale-proves-series-should-have-skipped-third-course-1201190586/

http://www.bustle.com/articles/25567-someone-recut-hannibal-as-a-cooking-show-because-its-basically-already-true-video

I just worry folks - i really love this show and Mads as Lector is FANTASTIC! but with the short lifespan of shows this year, i wonder how long it will last - i would LOVE to see Red Dragon reimagined as a story with someone suitable playing the Tooth Fairy - but will we get a season 4?

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭smilerf

I'd love if Fiennes reprised his role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Blood everywhere.. so much blood.

and stick around after the credits for another short scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

That was probably the biggest "Oh no, no! Please no! Please don't!" reaction moment I've had since Steins;Gate
    I knew Abbigail was still alive, ever since Beverly's little discovery, but to see Hannibal effectively bringing her back before Will's eyes just to taunt him with what he could have had, only to take her from him a second time... yeah...
    Right in the feels. :(

About Silence of the Lambs, Brian Fuller recently said they were still having issues with getting the rights, so may have to introduce a different character in place of Clarice Starling and a different serial killer in place of Buffalo Bill. I'm actually ok with this. I was hoping that all the rights issues would be sorted by the time the 5th season comes around, but right now? I actually have a lot of confidence that whatever Fuller comes up with in those characters' voids will be damn good, so I doubt I'm going to be disappointed if that ends up being the case. In fact, I'm partly intruiged. I don't think we are watching Hannibal simply because it fills in the blanks for us before Hannibal was incarcerated, we are watching it because it is downright one of the best things on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

So just so we're clear theres none of them
    still alive in the house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

So just so we're clear theres none of them
    still alive in the house

Spoilers aren't necessary, once the show is aired it's fair game.

Everybody in the house was still alive when it ended, the question is who will survive. Worst emergency services ever btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭liamtech

I think they are all probably going to survive or at the very least Crawford and Graham will for sure - thats only an opinion though - so an international Manhunt next season seems likely!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

/unfollows thread due to not watching episode the minute it's available. Have fun. :cool:

I was in shock this morning, still am a bit......

How are we going to wait for ten months odd.......

That utter wagon at the end....

Everybody in the house was still alive when it ended, the question is who will survive. Worst emergency services ever btw.

Although Lecter's house is in Baltimore so the police were probably already pretty busy cleaning up corners and such...

• Advertisement

Generally quality finale, though I might have one or two issues with it. I had a feeling David Slade was directing before the credits kicked in. I liked the build up to the kitchen scene, including the duality of the teaser. The volume of blood spilled wasn't particularly surprising (Abagail's was quite gruesome, though). One does not simply visit Chateau de Lecter and walk out to tell the tale. Nor was the final scene a surprise since Anderson's character previously flagged Hannibal's tendency for self-congratulation. Plus, add in some handwriting envy due to Hannibal's ability to write fancy invites.

Still, it has set up 'where to from here?' perfectly.

So where is he off to; Florence or Seville?

so why didn't hannibal finish everyone?

and scully didn't she rat on hannibal? does he know?

and scully didn't she rat on hannibal? does he know?

This is a TV Guide interview with Bryan Fuller regarding the ending....

***Warning - Moderate Spoilers***

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Hannibal-Season2-Finale-Postmortem-Bryan-Fuller-1082245.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

will is the protagonist in red dragon isn't he?

Tigger wrote: »
    will is the protagonist in red dragon isn't he?

In the books Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Miprocin

In the books Yes

And in the movie.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm confused, Will and Hannibal had people that were supposed to be dead in hiding, Hannibal's surprise throws 1 person out the window and makes another freeze, then someone who's passport has been frozen flies first class somewhere...

Clareman wrote: »
    I'm confused, Will and Hannibal had people that were supposed to be dead in hiding, Hannibal's surprise throws 1 person out the window and makes another freeze, then someone who's passport has been frozen flies first class somewhere...

yes Im wondering if Miranda/Cynthia acted, he could have had a fake pasport but you think post 9/11 even that might not work

• Advertisement
Advertisement