Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuel Prices

Options
  • 07-11-2011 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any idea why the retail price of diesel & petrol are almost identical all of a sudden? I noticed during the past week here in Newbridge that the price of diesel has been climbing while the price of petrol has been decreasing.

I wonder why? This because of the impending budget coming up, and oil companies setting their prices accordingly in anticipation of the duty/excise/tax on fuel being increased or what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Don't look for conspiracies where there is a simpler explanation.

Diesel and Home heating oil come off the refining process at the same stage, and in winter when the market for heating oil goes up, the processing of diesel takes a hit. This is why diesel goes up in price during the Winter, and then down in Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Not only that brands generally take their supplies out of the same tank farm.

Check Pumps.ie for fuel prices.

However, beware that one of the cheapest petrol stations in Dublin was under delivering the fuel people thought they were buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

BrianD wrote: »
    However, beware that one of the cheapest petrol stations in Dublin was under delivering the fuel people thought they were buying.
    I'd say their is a good few of them at this.

I never buy fuel at the wkend because of it, the retailers know their is a chance they could be spot checked during the week but not at the wkend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

BrianD wrote: »

Who is this? I'm sure if they have a conviction for it then it's ok to name and shame.

tuxy wrote: »
    Who is this? I'm sure if they have a conviction for it then it's ok to name and shame.
    It was on RTE news earlier, I can't find it on Google :rolleyes::rolleyes:, all I can get is washed green diesel stories.

The Retailer was only fined a poxy 14 grand, 14 grand!!!

• Advertisement

Here we go, the 14000 fine found it.

Here
    Here

Boards Thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

jor el wrote: »

Diesel and Home heating oil come off the refining process at the same stage, and in winter when the market for heating oil goes up, the processing of diesel takes a hit. This is why diesel goes up in price during the Winter, and then down in Summer.

I asked a simple question jor el, I didn't ask for a snide remark in the answer. If my question was so dumb then say so, and by all means give me the answer, but NOBODY deserves the snide snotty remark you dished out here ( your first sentence).

Don't know why i bothered asking!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I never buy fuel at the wkend because of it, the retailers know their is a chance they could be spot checked during the week but not at the wkend.

In order to fiddle the customer they have to break the weights and measures seal so it doesn't matter when they alter the pumps, if they're going to be found out they will be.

From the Irish Times report of the Usher's Quay filling station court report...

However, in response to further complaints from members of the public in February 2011, LMS inspectors revisited the premises and discovered that the previously verified and rectified fuel pumps had broken seals and were significantly under-measuring petrol and diesel being sold to consumers.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1107/breaking43.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    I asked a simple question jor el, I didn't ask for a snide remark in the answer. If my question was so dumb then say so, and by all means give me the answer, but NOBODY deserves the snide snotty remark you dished out here ( your first sentence).

Don't know why i bothered asking!!!

What the hell are you on? I did answer the question, or did you not notice that. Get off your high horse and cop on to yourself.

You stated quite clearly that you believed the price increase to be because of the oil companies getting in ahead of the probably budget increases. I answered that diesel increases in price every winter, and gave you the reason for this. If you don't want an accurate answer, don't ask the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Don't know if this has already been posted, but in the past week diesel prices have risen to the exact same price as petrol at the pumps.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Merged with existing thread

This can be somewhat explained by seasonal variations in the demand for petrol & diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Who's looking for CT?? WTF?:confused:

This is the first time we've seen this in Waterford. And it happened overnight - literally. Diesel was ALWAYS 9/10c per litre cheaper.

Prices have actually been equalising for the last few weeks. Depending on your station's turnover, they may not have purchased fuel at the new prices until recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 slingshot

There is meant to be up to 10c differential between diesel and petrol as the duties are levied at different rates. The excuse of its getting level due to the onset of winter is highly dubious. The basic fact is that the majority of fuels as stated comes from these tank farms ie applegreen fuel is actually texaco fuel etc. There are a small number of fuel suppliers so they are able to control the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

I'd say their is a good few of them at this.

Total and utter BS. All pumps have seals on them and if they are tampered with heavy fines are imposed as above. These are official seals and cannot be taken off / put on at will.

Diesel prices always rise in the autumn, the only recent exception was 2009 due to the world recession.

In China, much of the electrical power is still from diesel powered stations and worldwide most goods are transported by diesle powered ships and trucks. Once Christmas is over, diesel falls back somewhat.

This is a worldwide trend, not just in tiny little Ireland.

slingshot wrote: »
    There is meant to be up to 10c differential between diesel and petrol as the duties are levied at different rates. The excuse of its getting level due to the onset of winter is highly dubious. The basic fact is that the majority of fuels as stated comes from these tank farms ie applegreen fuel is actually texaco fuel etc. There are a small number of fuel suppliers so they are able to control the price.

"meant to be" ???
    International commodity markets determine prices of petrol & diesel. they don't give a sh1te what taxes are in little countries or what difference there is "meant to be"

Currently todays international price for diesel is 57c per litre. For unleaded the price is 48c. Duty on diesel is 49c per litre, duty on unleaded is 59c / litre.
    Overall, pump prices should be close to even for both types.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

What the hell are you on? I did answer the question, or did you not notice that. Get off your high horse and cop on to yourself.

You stated quite clearly that you believed the price increase to be because of the oil companies getting in ahead of the probably budget increases. I answered that diesel increases in price every winter, and gave you the reason for this. If you don't want an accurate answer, don't ask the question.

Jor el - you come across as a bitter old fart. You never have anything positive or constrictive to say to anyone. You treat all the posters on here with contempt and disdain. I think you should get off your high horse and cop on to yourself.

Honestly, look back over all your posts and see if they genuinely come across as constructive and/or helpful. Any time someone posts about a consumer issue it's automatically their fault. I honestly don't know how you're still allowed on here.

compsys If you have a problem with a post or a poster, please use the Report Post functionality. Do not add noise to threads, stick to the original topic.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

I don't want to get into an argument or get banned ( I am aware you are a mod here) but i asked a question,. not assumed the answer. My remark was at your first sentence - as I said, if my question is stupid say so by all means, but you go and have to make a remark where you tell me not to go looking for conspiracies when the answer is more obvious.

As i say, i am grateful for your reply to the question, but i do wonder why you have to add your little 'piece' also ie your first sentence.

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    I don't want to get into an argument or get banned ( I am aware you are a mod here) but i asked a question,. not assumed the answer. My remark was at your first sentence - as I said, if my question is stupid say so by all means, but you go and have to make a remark where you tell me not to go looking for conspiracies when the answer is more obvious.

As i say, i am grateful for your reply to the question, but i do wonder why you have to add your little 'piece' also ie your first sentence.

I'm not in the habit of defending posters, but I can see jor el's point. So many posters start up threads about fuel prices and are usually spouting theories about retailer ripping off or fuel distributors ripping off etc etc (just read this thread for an example)
    The op was a genuine question looking for a genuine answer. - the problem with boards is you'll get the usual uninformed mob spouting BS about prices when they have not one iota of a clue about fuel pricing.

From my knowledge, fuel pricing is the most transparent pricing of any retail product out there. Try finding the exact cost to a supermarket of a loaf of bread or pack of biscuits - impossible. Refinery prices for refined oils are published on a minute by minute basis on hundreds of websites, the currency rates are also published left right and centre. the duties on fuel, whilst a little harder to find are published by revenue.ie and on pumps.ie. The rate of vat is 21% as published too.

Add it all up, currently cost of fuel + duties + vat = about 1.33 - 1.36, the balance (excluding vat on balance) is shared between retailer and importer - that balance is rarely above 10c.

• Advertisement
Advertisement