Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To those getting shafted by college fees

• 07-11-2011 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Why not get your education abroad? I am a big believer in the free market, so why put up with increasing fees while the quality of third level education goes down? The amount you invest should be proportional to the actual quality of the education you recieve. Unlike most other nations, irish education appears to operate on the basis of an inverse relationship. This is not opinion, the league tables speak for themselves.

Ireland used to deliver a good education at a reasonable cost a few years back, but this is looking like a dwindling proposition. Some European countries don't even charge fees at all. It's a no brainer imo. Stop pissing people off with your aimless protests and put your money where your mouth is. Like most things in life, money is the ultimate bargaining tool. You can protest till you are blue in the face. These increases are not going away. Vote with your euro - It's better than any protest.

Am I talking sense or just deluded? You can give the finger not by wasting your breath on them, but by completely writing them out of the equation. Saddling undergrads who aren't exactly research oriented with massive loans isn't going to benefit society in the long run, even if the quality returns to a decent level.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Living in another country costs money, so I'm guessing that would be a big barrier, and no grants there either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

somebody's got rich parents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheyKnowMyIP

Living in another country costs money, so I'm guessing that would be a big barrier, and no grants there either

True. On campus accom should suffice though. It should still work out cheaper I believe, though I am well open to correction on this one. Grants aren't even required, if you are an EU citizen, the Government will pay. At least this is the case is some nordic countries like Finland. Probably because their tax everything to the hilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Amazing to always hear of college students being hard done by, a lot of my friends are students and they go drinking 4-5 nights a week so maybe if they didn't piss all there money up the wall they might be able to pay their own college fees rather than the working tax payer footing the bill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Vote with your euro

Haha!!! Students with money.. I've heard it all now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Because it costs way more obviously, among a lot of other reasons.

I think protests etc are because money is constantly being cut from education, when it's blatantly obvious that TD's pay and the pay of cushy jobs in the public sector should be cut right down to normal standards. It's ridiculous that they act like such saints for taking a tiny pay cut, which is optional by the way, to make it even more ridiculous.:rolleyes:

somebody's got rich parents

Nope. Not in a country mile. Any sort of job/income mostly alleviates these concerns though. What happens when the fees come back full whack? 10k per year for undegrad isn't good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Amazing to always hear of college students being hard done by, a lot of my friends are students and they go drinking 4-5 nights a week so maybe if they didn't piss all there money up the wall they might be able to pay their own college fees rather than the working tax payer footing the bill!

Arts students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What do we want?

Subsidies!

When do we want them?

Freshers week!

Does it not cost money to live abroad? Money doesn't grow on trees you know..or at least you should

Last time I checked, it costs money to live here aswell:cool:

• Advertisement

Arts students.
    Nope no Art students I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Madness. Most of my friends are in college and they are sh!t broke, lucky to go out once a week. Guess we live in different worlds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

I am a big believer in the free market, so why put up with increasing fees while the quality of third level education goes down?

Didn't the quality of third level education decrease once fees were abolished, and degrees became increasingly worthless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

True. On campus accom should suffice though. It should still work out cheaper I believe, though I am well open to correction on this one. Grants aren't even required, if you are an EU citizen, the Government will pay. At least this is the case is some nordic countries like Finland. Probably because their tax everything to the hilt.

Be a bit awkward to have to learn Finnish before starting your degree though . . .

Didn't the quality of third level education decrease once fees were abolished and degrees became increasingly worthless?
    Correct, some dumb fcuks going around with degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Interested in how I get this free education if i just turn up at their door step, Could you enlighten me as to which countries do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Be a bit awkward to have to learn Finnish before starting your degree though . . .

Unless . . . . . you plan on doing a Finnish language course ;)

maglite wrote: »
    Interested in how I get this free education if i just turn up at their door step, Could you enlighten me as to which countries do this?

Nordic countries, mostly. Provided you are an EU citizen, they will pay the fees. Look it up, I am not talking out of my arse on this one. Not that you get everything else for nothing, obviously. You would need to find a job I think. It's a practical solution in comparison to aimless protests/pussyfooting. At least in the present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Pretty simple answer from me really - I like living in this country. This is where I am happy at the moment, this is where my family and friends are and I would like to be educated here. It's just preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

I checked out doing a degree in a nordic country but it was *free* (flights, accomadation, expenses not included) had I done it in the native language . The english language courses have fees of about 12-14k. I know this is also the case in Hungary.

Even if fees go up here and I some how manage to be able to find the money to continue in my degree (not so sure how likey that is...) - I'll still save because I've no living or travel expenses here because I live at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

ciara1052 wrote: »
    I checked out doing a degree in a nordic country but it was *free* (flights, accomadation, expenses not included) had I done it in the native language . The english language courses have fees of about 12-14k. I know this is also the case in Hungary.

Even if fees go up here and I some how manage to be able to find the money to continue in my degree (not so sure how likey that is...) - I'll still save because I've no living or travel expenses here because I live at home.

If fees do come in will they actually apply to people in the middle of degrees ?

I would have thought it would be incoming students.

Don't get me wrong, if Ireland is working out okay, pay no heed to my comments. Not all colleges are shafting people in this country. It's just a solution I thought I might share for those that may not have considered it yet:)

If they keep increasing the fees exponentially, this is what is going to happen. In large numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Cutting administration in colleges and stop putting the top brass on huge salaries over one hundred thousand might go a long way towards this funding issue

My experience of college staff was bureaucracy and constant infighting between departments. Everyone trying to justify their position
    Computer says no, you need to contact the other administrator, that's not my job, you'll have an answer to two weeks

mikemac wrote: »
    My experience of college staff was bureaucracy and constant infighting between departments. Everyone trying to justify their position

Don't get me started:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I'm in college. I can tell you straight away they are a minority. Most are broke.
    I ****ing hate this debate anyway. Education is one of the most important things a country can invest in/spend money on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Always funny to see someone so disconnected with student life stick their nose in. I'm sorry if that sounds snarky, but it's true.

"Students out on the piss 4-5 times a week" invariably fail first year.

Studying abroad isn't an option for a lot of people due to accommodation and living costs, as well as most countries not giving a grant to non-citizens.

Most students are now on €1 per day. This is the reality of our situation. And registration fees are set to rise again. People throwing out fantastical solutions like this is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

No fees except registration in Belgium or the Netherlands, even for Masters courses. Registration is around 600 and 1700 respectively I think, but that's a whole lot less than the the 7 or so grand you'd pay for a masters in Ireland.

Also, in the Netherlands, if you're lucky enough to find a job the Dutch government will pay you a grant and give you a free transport card. You're also eligible to get rent allowance from the government, but I'm not sure just how much this covers.

DB21 wrote: »
    People throwing out fantastical solutions like this is ridiculous.

It's not a silver bullet solution to apply to every single student. It's something I thought might be worth considering though. How is the suggestion "fantastical"? Would you still consider it fantastical when you consider the huge number of people leaving the country on a daily basis? If you manage to find work abroad, I can't see how it isn't a solution to consider.

If fees do come in will they actually apply to people in the middle of degrees ?

I would have thought it would be incoming students.

I don't know tbh. People I know seem to think so :confused:. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

• Advertisement

I'm in college. I can tell you straight away they are a minority. Most are broke.
    I ****ing hate this debate anyway. Education is one of the most important things a country can invest in/spend money on.
    Yeah, look where that has got us :rolleyes:

DB21 wrote: »
    Most students are now on €1 per day. This is the reality of our situation. And registration fees are set to rise again.
    http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lilcc2yUfp1qboxvdo1_500.jpg

Jesus, you would swear I was putting a gun to the head of every student:D It's a suggestion. Won't apply to a lot of people, I get that. It is however another option to consider if it is within your reach. And by that, I am not talking simply in financial terms. Not everyone is going to like leaving the country. Ireland is a great country imo, home sickness is a factor to consider.

Unlike the top brass, my "solution" at least has some merit beyond simply putting on a show that student fees will decrease. The powers that be have more cuts lined up for the future, that much you can bank on.

elefant wrote: »
    No fees except registration in Belgium or the Netherlands, even for Masters courses. Registration is around 600 and 1700 respectively I think, but that's a whole lot less than the the 7 or so grand you'd pay for a masters in Ireland.

Also, in the Netherlands, if you're lucky enough to find a job the Dutch government will pay you a grant and give you a free transport card. You're also eligible to get rent allowance from the government, but I'm not sure just how much this covers.

Are you sure you've checked for english language courses? The two schools I checked had fees only for english courses. I could have enrolled for free all right in the course not in english provided I passed an interview. I wouldn't be able to do chemistry through a foreign language....IF you're right and there is an option where I can study a course through english, and if fees increase to 10k here I shall have to look into doing my science degree elsewhere.

Investing in education is not why we're in the situation we're in. Might have something to do with *insert appropriate here* - e.g. overpaid politicians, that whole bank thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Dunno about Finland but in the Netherlands a lot of University courses are done through English.

Not sure what fees/living costs are like but Ive heard of increasing numbers UK students going over there since the fee increases in the UK.

Of course if the Irish education "system" wasnt so embarrassingly shyte when it came to teaching continental languages............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

My sides a splitting. Never before have I seen such wit. Thanks for you valuable contribution to this debate.

Edit: Useless post has been reported, FYI.

Investing in education is not why we're in the situation we're in. Might have something to do with *insert appropriate here* - e.g. overpaid politicians, that whole bank thing...
    If only we had an Art student to cry STOP!

Look at it this way, if you were to go on the dole, you would earn more than twice what I have in a week. For sitting on your hole.

Don't even lark about college students not doing anything, because by God, I would say I do equal, if not more hours than you in a week, plus hours upon god damn hours of assignments and study.

Currently, I can expect to do 44 hours of raw lectures, tutorials and labs in a week. Toss on another 20 hours for getting from Arklow to Bolton St and back, as I can't afford to live nearer. Ticket is 49.50€ a week.

I can also mark in a minimum of 15 hours of study and assignments a week, and its a goddamn miracle I get any sleep at all.

It is a ridiculous position to be in, when you're being told by someone on the internet, without a clue of your circumstances, that you should be paying for college, when you have to think long and hard about buying lunch for yourself, in case you'll run out of money.

Of course, somebody will probably make a rebuttal involving parents paying for college, but of course, my family is currently living slightly above sustainance level, due to my dad being dead, so I doubt I'll be able to continue college if fees are introduced. If your bitter about someone being in college, get over it, there's buck nothing stopping you from being a mature student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭conno3001

I'm working every Friday and Saturday night 11pm - 8am as a Night porter, I go to college 5 days a week 9-5. Perhaps some students can afford to go out 4-5 nights drinking every week but to generalise like that is just ridiculous. I'm barely keeping my head above water as it is, not all of us come from homes that can afford to support their kids. If it was not for the grant I doubt I would have the means and the stamina to go to college for four years. I come from a one parent family, my mother has a low wage job, she doesn't support me financially nor could she.

So please, don't give me that ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Wow the generalizations are really flying from you tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭irishdude11

Are you sure you've checked for english language courses? The two schools I checked had fees only for english courses. I could have enrolled for free all right in the course not in english provided I passed an interview. I wouldn't be able to do chemistry through a foreign language....IF you're right and there is an option where I can study a course through english, and if fees increase to 10k here I shall have to look into doing my science degree elsewhere.

Where are you getting this idea that they would bring in fees for existing students? That would instantly put tens of thousands out onto the dole in the middle of their degrees. There is no way in hell that would go through the Dail. If they bring back full fees it will be for people yet to start college.

Look at it this way, if you were to go on the dole, you would earn more than twice what I have in a week. For sitting on your hole.

Don't even lark about college students not doing anything, because by God, I would say I do equal, if not more hours than you in a week, plus hours upon god damn hours of assignments and study.

Currently, I can expect to do 44 hours of raw lectures, tutorials and labs in a week. Toss on another 20 hours for getting from Arklow to Bolton St and back, as I can't afford to live nearer. Ticket is 49.50€ a week.

I can also mark in a minimum of 15 hours of study and assignments a week, and its a goddamn miracle I get any sleep at all.

It is a ridiculous position to be in, when you're being told by someone on the internet, without a clue of your circumstances, that you should be paying for college, when you have to think long and hard about buying lunch for yourself, in case you'll run out of money.

Of course, somebody will probably make a rebuttal involving parents paying for college, but of course, my family is currently living slightly above sustainance level, due to my dad being dead, so I doubt I'll be able to continue college if fees are introduced. If your bitter about someone being in college, get over it, there's buck nothing stopping you from being a mature student.
    Then leave college and go on the dole if it's that handy?

Mature student??? I never went to college nor do I need to, I have a perfectly good job that pays me a great wage so no college needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Not necessarily. Many courses abroad are done through English, with the Sciences being the main type.

Of course, somebody will probably make a rebuttal involving parents paying for college, but of course, my family is currently living slightly above sustainance level, due to my dad being dead, so I doubt I'll be able to continue college if fees are introduced. If your bitter about someone being in college, get over it, there's buck nothing dropping you from being a mature student.

Socialism is a form of legalised theft, as they say:)There are a certain number of people on the grant that should have never been given it. A drinking degree essentially. We have some very strange priorities in this country. Irish people hate to see anybody make something of themselves. We favour the Institution to provide. At least historically speaking. The dole should not be a ****ing life choice.

There is an incentive in this country to subsidise the criminally idle at the expense of those who seek to bring about actual wealth. This is wrong. We punish Enterprise in this country. It's amazing at all how we attract foreign investment at all. I am all for social welfare, provided it's carried out in a fair manner and isn't preached as a life choice.

conno3001 wrote: »
    I'm working every Friday and Saturday night 11pm - 8am as a Night porter, I go to college 5 days a week 9-5. Perhaps some students can afford to go out 4-5 nights drinking every week but to generalise like that is just ridiculous. I'm barely keeping my head above water as it is, not all of us come from homes that can afford to support their kids. If it was not for the grant I doubt I would have the means and the stamina to go to college for four years. I come from a one parent family, my mother has a low wage job, she doesn't support me financially nor could she.

So please, don't give me that ****e.
    You work 18 hours p/w and you are getting a state grant, what more do you want?

Then leave college and go on the dole if it's that handy?

No thanks, I'd rather make something out of my life than just be a freeloader.

Socialism is a form of legalised theft, as they say:)There are a certain number of people on the grant that should have never been given it. A drinking degree essentially. We have some very strange priorities in this country. Irish people hate to see anybody make something of themselves. We favour the Institution to provide. At least historically speaking. The dole should not be a ****ing life choice.

There is an incentive in this country to subsidise the criminally idle at the expense of those who seek to bring about actual wealth. This is wrong. We punish Enterprise in this country. It's amazing at all how we attract foreign investment at all. I am all for social welfare, provided it's carried out in a fair manner and isn't preached as a life choice.
    Agree!

There are people in college claiming a grant that really have no interest in bettering themselves, I was talking to a girl one night and she was saying how much she hated been in college and her early morning lectures, I said sure why don't you leave then, she replied "oh, I'm too young to get a job, I have the grant so I want to enjoy myself for a few years first". :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

No thanks, I'd rather make something out of my life than just be a freeloader.

If you could stop bitching about it while you're at it that would be just swell.

amacachi wrote: »
    If you could stop bitching about it while you're at it that would be just swell.

He made a very valid point. Your argument would have credence had he made more than one post on the topic.

He made a very valid point. Your argument would have credence had he made more than one post on the topic.
    Is there a post limit before someone can post?

• Advertisement
Advertisement