Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To those getting shafted by college fees

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheyKnowMyIP

Is there a post limit before someone can post?

No, I am just saying the guy was complaining about the "bitching" despite his rant being contained to a single post. Ranting typically involves multiple posts bordering on Trolling. We may not agree with his statements, but he is entitled to state his position.

END:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

No, I am just saying the guy was complaining about the "bitching" despite his rant being contained to a single post. Ranting typically involves multiple posts bordering on Trolling. We may not agree with his statements, but he is entitled to state his position.

END:cool:

Three posts. I said bitching, not ranting. There's a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

amacachi wrote: »
    Three posts.

Only one mentioned my situation, was what was being said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Domo230 wrote: »
    I cant afford college here, have yet to find a job and am not dole eligible.

I considered travelling abroad for work but never thought about it for education until now. Where can I find out more about what countries would offer me a cheaper education than the one I can not afford to get here.

I really feel out of options at the moment. I wan't to work hard and contribute, start getting things together but I really feel like I am low on options.
    What makes you think you can't claim dole?

Only one mentioned my situation, was what was being said.

There was the one I quoted, one about Arts students being the lazy ones and this. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75355374&postcount=39

I cant afford college here, have yet to find a job and am not dole eligible.

I considered travelling abroad for work but never thought about it for education until now. Where can I find out more about what countries would offer me a cheaper education than the one I can not afford to get here.

I really feel out of options at the moment. I wan't to work hard and contribute, start getting things together but I really feel like I am low on options.

Norway is a good bet. They have no fees even for non european citizens. Now that is pushing it a bit, but it goes to show how much they value education. They have essentially put their money where their mouth is. High cost index, but this is offset by a high minimum wage. If you eventually want to do a masters at 15k and the like, it's a no brainer. Postgrad stuff is very expensive here. Even if living isn't the cheapest.

http://www.studyinnorway.no/sn/Tuition-Scholarships

Norway is a good bet. They have no fees even for non european citizens. Now that is pushing it a bit, but it goes to show how much they value education. They have essentially put their money where their mouth is. High cost index, but this is offset by a high minimum wage.

http://www.studyinnorway.no/sn/Tuition-Scholarships
    What is the minimum wage there? (to lazy to google)

There was the one I quoted, one about Arts students being the lazy ones and this. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75355374&postcount=39

Yet only the linked one was discussing the topic of my finances.

What is the minimum wage there? (to lazy to google)

I am wrong on that count. There is no established minimum:( Not to mention they have high taxation.

• Advertisement

I am wrong on that count. There is no established minimum:( Not to mention they have high taxation.
    Thought so... not too bad here after all eh.

Yet only the linked one was discussing the topic of my finances.

The one I quoted was you trying to be a martyr and the one about Arts Students was saying they were the only ones who can afford to do that and you can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

I'm of the opinion that third level education is a privilege, not a right.

More and more people are being educated to degree standard in this country, yet American multinationals have complained about the poor standard of Irish graduates. Free fees also haven't greatly increased the numbers of students going to college from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Bring in a loan system like the UK, where there are fees but they are paid back only once the graduate is earning over a certain amount.

A former English housemate of mine was paying back £70 per month on her loan. Hardly extortionate, now is it?

Thought so... not too bad here after all eh.

Something in Ireland being "not too bad"?! Don't be ridiculous, everyone knows it's the worst country in the world and we're living through the most austere times in world history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

More and more people are being educated to degree standard in this country, yet American multinationals have complained about the poor standard of Irish graduates. Free fees also haven't greatly increased the numbers of students going to college from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Bring in a loan system like the UK, where there are fees but they are paid back only once the graduate is earning over a certain amount.

A former English housemate of mine was paying back £70 per month on her loan. Hardly extortionate, now is it?

No, they haven't. In fact, our standard of education in the reason many multinationals set up European hubs here.

I can't see a problem with that system. Somehow people still say it would make it unaffordable for certain people, I just don't see it.

Also giving the option of paying fees upfront might cut the numbers going to fee-paying schools here. Faced with paying 25k for college parents might decide not to spend that on secondary education, thereby levelling the playing field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Why not get your education abroad? I am a big believer in the free market, so why put up with increasing fees while the quality of third level education goes down? The amount you invest should be proportional to the actual quality of the education you recieve. Unlike most other nations, irish education appears to operate on the basis of an inverse relationship. This is not opinion, the league tables speak for themselves.

Ireland used to deliver a good education at a reasonable cost a few years back, but this is looking like a dwindling proposition. Some European countries don't even charge fees at all. It's a no brainer imo. Stop pissing people off with your aimless protests and put your money where your mouth is. Like most things in life, money is the ultimate bargaining tool. You can protest till you are blue in the face. These increases are not going away. Vote with your euro - It's better than any protest.

Am I talking sense or just deluded? You can give the finger not by wasting your breath on them, but by completely writing them out of the equation. Saddling undergrads who aren't exactly research oriented with massive loans isn't going to benefit society in the long run, even if the quality returns to a decent level.

Are you a Yale or a Princeton man?

DB21 wrote: »
    No, they haven't. In fact, our standard of education in the reason many multinationals set up European hubs here.

Yup, and many of those multinational hubs are filled with continental European staff, ya know, with useful second languages and whatnot. My friend works for Facebook, hardly any of her colleagues are Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Lads I dont know where you get the college student "out every night" stereotype.

I'm a college student, and I live on fcuk all money. They reg fee has pretty much bankrupted me and if I need to get a book they are ridiculously expensive. I can't even afford Internet in the place I stay during the week in Dublin. If I go out once every two weeks I'm lucky.

If the reg fee is increased, I will probably won't be able to do the final year of my course, thats my reality, and the reality of loads of students.

Tell that to the HR drone. Education should be a fundamental right at any level, provided you are capable. If you are capable, this initial investment will probably be paid many times over given an average lifespan.

FWIW, Ireland is very expensive too. The stealth tax brigade will be on the case again soon, you can bet your word on that. Our European Overlords have plenty more "fun" to bestow upon the population of working people in this country.

Seriously, I have considered moving all my money to an offshore bank account if things get any worse. They will come after your pension next. Their ruthlessness knows no boundries!

Yup, and many of those multinational hubs are filled with continental European staff, ya know, with useful second languages and whatnot. My friend works for Facebook, hardly any of her colleagues are Irish.

Mate of mine dropped out at the end of a degree in electronic engineering. All his mates have been applying for everything and fluency in a European language other than English was a pre-requisite. A few lied and made it to the interview stage and were found out.

• Advertisement

Something in Ireland being "not too bad"?! Don't be ridiculous, everyone knows it's the worst country in the world and we're living through the most austere times in world history.
    Oh sorry, I forgot people still went to college during the famine :D

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Lads I dont know where you get the college student "out every night" stereotype.

I'm a college student, and I live on fcuk all money. They reg fee has pretty much bankrupted me and if I need to get a book they are ridiculously expensive. I can't even afford Internet in the place I stay during the week in Dublin. If I go out once every two weeks I'm lucky.

If the reg fee is increased, I will probably won't be able to do the final year of my course, thats my reality, and the reality of loads of students.

I assume you'd also be opposed to paying it back later?

Oh sorry, I forgot people still went to college during the famine :D

Behind hedges remember!?

I would not lower myself to their level:P

Harvard by the sounds of his bank account contents.

Skilled workers pay more tax than unskilled workers in most cases, so it would be payed back, albeit indirectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

That was almost always the reality. When I was in college many students took a year at a time out of their courses earn enough to pay for the next year or two of college.

I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but sometimes you just have to do what has to be done in order to get to where you want to go.

Skilled workers pay more tax than unskilled workers in most cases, so it would be payed back, albeit indirectly.

I'm against two people getting the exact same service but the one who makes the most use out of it having to pay more for it.

Tell that to the HR drone.

I'm not a HR drone.

But yes, if you're capable. University isn't for everyone, but people are encouraged to go whether it's for them or not. :rolleyes:

Not to mention they probably own more assets, which are in turn taxed to the hilt. The robin hood principle imo.

• Advertisement

I'll have to do professional exams which are very expensive, god knows were I will get the cash for that. I don't get any grants.

If people really want a knowledge based economy then changing the current format will damage that, people simply wont go. I will end up "paying back" with decades of tax. Education is an investment.

I'm not a HR drone.

But yes, if you're capable. University isn't for everyone, but people are encouraged to go whether it's for them or not. :rolleyes:

I never said you were, I was simply asserting that the average HR airhead will overlook somebody because they don't have letters after their name. You can say all you like, but the fact remains that education is used to filter job applicants. This is wrong on so many levels. Even for lowly paid positions.

If people really want a knowledge based economy then changing the current format will damage that, people simply wont go. I will end up "paying back" with decades of tax. Education is an investment.

But you'll be paying back anyway if free fees remain, as do all taxpayers, except you'll be paying for free fees for all rather than paying back your own fees.

I think if free fees remain, the quality of courses should be improved. There are way too many shítty courses out there now.

I'll have to do professional exams which are very expensive, god knows were I will get the cash for that. I don't get any grants.

Why should everyone else have to invest in your (or my) education though? If you're dedicated enough then the one night out every two weeks could be sacrificed to cover a 500 or so increase in the reg. fee.

I still can't see the problem with loans. It's up to you if you want to do them or not.

You can say all you like, but the fact remains that education is used to filter job applicants.

And the reason people without letters after their names are now ignored is because degrees are not worth what they once were what with everyone having one now, so they have just become like the LC used to be, a must. Degrees have become devalued.

Just to note. My initial propostion is based on the assumption you at least have a mimimum wage or higher job. If you can live abroad in Australia or whatever people are doing these days, why not at least give it a shot? You won't be denied unless you are a child rapist or something. Never EVER lie to immigration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

That was almost always the reality. When I was in college many students took a year at a time out of their courses earn enough to pay for the next year or two of college.

I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but sometimes you just have to do what has to be done in order to get to where you want to go.
    I didnt know you could do that! I'm here thinking if the fee's go up I wont be able to afford next year but if I can do that, I should be able to get enough together to cover it unless it goes up a lot.

How do you do that anyway? Defer it or something?

And the reason people without letters after their names are now ignored is because degrees are not worth what they once were what with everyone having one now, so they have just become like the LC used to be, a must. Degrees have become devalued.

Which leads to the expectation that because these degrees are devalued, there is an expectation that any idiot with a pencil can get a degree while overlooking people without any sort of third level education. "Oh, you're so stupid, you don't even have a bog standard would not wipe your arse degree!". Do you see where I am coming from?

Some places would simply bin an application these days on the basis of not having a degree. I've seen it happen myself, and these sure as hell aren't fortune 500 companies.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I didnt know you could do that! I'm here thinking if the fee's go up I wont be able to afford next year but if I can do that, I should be able to get enough together to cover it unless it goes up a lot.

Different in different places. Obviously ya can defer first year, after that it's sometimes a different process and you'd have to get on to your tutor or whatever. I'd advise getting through it as quick as possible though, taking a year out to save will only save enough for the amount extra introduced during that year. :pac:

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »

Yes, deferring has always been an option. I did my LC in 2001 and deferred my course for a year to make a bit of money and also because I was only just turned 17 so wasn't quite ready for the college experience.

Why should everyone else have to invest in your (or my) education though? If you're dedicated enough then the one night out every two weeks could be sacrificed to cover a 500 or so increase in the reg. fee.

I still can't see the problem with loans. It's up to you if you want to do them or not.

When I go out I spend under a tenner.

If the govt help me get educated so I get a well paid job they will benefit with all the extra tax they get which they wouldn't if I spent my life working at a low paid job which I didn't need a degree for.

So you personally, ideally, would benefit because there would be more cash for public services and the like.

Which leads to the expectation that because these degrees are devalued, there is an expectation that any idiot with a pencil can get a degree while overlooking people without any sort of third level education. "Oh, you're so stupid, you don't even have a bog standard would not wipe your arse degree!". Do you see where I am coming from?

Some places would simply bin an application these days on the basis of not having a degree. I've seen it happen myself, and these sure as hell aren't fortune 500 companies.

Yep, and free fees has contributed massively to that. Also since their introduction there's been no increase in the proportion of students in third level from the bottom of the socio-economic pile, only the middle classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh I do see students out on the piss a lot, but it's probably a minority.
    IMO fees should be reintroduced but very rigorously means tested so that the wide spectrum of incomes is taken into account - it's far more layered than high, middle and low - however I know that's easier said than done. I know that's discriminatory but I never understand how some people on high incomes have no problem sending their kids to private school, grinds, tuition centres but recoil at the notion of college fees.
    First and second level are a right, but after that, it's optional - not everyone avails of it, and some who do, completely take it for granted.
    Third level institutions are haemorrhaging money, and fees are pretty much back, albeit not in name - the registration fee being upped and upped. Fees would make people value it more too - some folks in third level couldn't give a ****, and sneer at it. Fees would ensure more of a likelihood of only people who actually want to be there being there.
    I have no problem with public funding paying for some of it, just not practically every last penny.
    Loans system is a good option IMO.

Standards HAVE dropped. OK, getting a degree takes graft but grade inflation has been demonstrably happening. It was much rarer to get a 2:1 twenty years ago than now, 1:1s even moreso. I got a 2:1, believe me when I say I really really didn't deserve it. 20 years ago, I would have been lucky to scrape a 2:2!

When I go out I spend under a tenner.

If the govt help me get educated so I get a well paid job they will benefit with all the extra tax they get which they wouldn't if I spent my life working at a low paid job which I didn't need a degree for.

So you personally, ideally, would benefit because there would be more cash for public services and the like.

You sound like a barrel of laughs. :pac:

I'm familiar with economics, but trying to use the circular flow argument in a country consistently ranked as being one of the most open economies in the world really doesn't help your argument.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    IMO fees should be reintroduced but very rigorously means tested so that the wide spectrum of incomes is taken into account - it's far more layered than high, middle and low - however I know that's easier said than done. I know that's discriminatory but I never understand how some people on high incomes have no problem sending their kids to private school, grinds, tuition centres but recoil at the notion of college fees.
    First and second level are a right, but after that, it's optional - not everyone avails of it, and some who do, completely take it for granted.
    Third level institutions are haemorrhaging money, and fees are pretty much back, albeit not in name - the registration fee being upped and upped. Fees would make people value it more too - some folks in third level couldn't give a ****, and sneer at it. Fees would ensure more of a likelihood of only people who actually want to be there being there.
    I have no problem with public funding paying for some of it, just not practically every last penny.

+1

As I said, I bet if there was the prospect of 25k fees for college there'd be a pretty big fall in the uptake for Junior Cert grinds. :pac:

You've touched on a big problem. Some people have parents who:

Won't pay for their college
    Can't afford to even though their income is above the level

Those young people are effectively fcuked.

That's been my experience so far. I was told by a recruiter that I was fully qualified, had a great portfolio (computer science stuff) but because I did not have a degree would not be considered.

That was a pretty low day. I am underqualified for these posts but I have a sneaking suspicion that my previous college experience means I am also considered overqualified for many of the minimum wage jobs I am currently searching for. I am young but have an impressive CV. I have a feeling that many do not consider me for certain posts because they think I will leave them as soon as I get the money to return to college (which to be fair is true)

Sometimes it feels like I am trapped by my level of education.

I feel bad for your situation. I don't know what to say. Just keep the head up and consider all options. I have been turned down a number of times myself in the last year, despite having a degree, so don't beat yourself up about that. It's simply a reflection of the times when both good and bad reasons are being used to disqualify someone.

Things will pick up again, you can bet on that. In the meantime, if you have time to kill, you should consider all your options. Employers don't want to hire people in this country at present. It's more than simply not having a degree I am afraid. That is the sad truth. Best of luck whatever you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

You've touched on a big problem. Some people have parents who:

Won't pay for their college
    Can't afford to even though their income is above the level

Those young people are effectively fcuked.
    Yep, those kinda factors are the ones which would make the means testing thing difficult to work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement