Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To those getting shafted by college fees

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

amacachi wrote: »
    You sound like a barrel of laughs. :pac:

I'm familiar with economics, but trying to use the circular flow argument in a country consistently ranked as being one of the most open economies in the world really doesn't help your argument.

You'd be surprised, fiver for six cans for predrinks, money for the bus into town, cheaplist/freelist into a club then pool in with your friends to a get a taxi home. Its doable when it is literally all you can afford.

I think its a good argument to be fair. They will get more tax out of me then they would have if I didn't go to college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheyKnowMyIP

Yep, and free fees has contributed massively to that. Also since their introduction there's been no increase in the proportion of students in third level from the bottom of the socio-economic pile, only the middle classes.

It's essentially a trap designed for the interests of the colleges and employment venues. They won't tell you this, but that is the truth. I always read between the lines, they won't fool me. I mean come on, a degree in ****ing hotel management? What the fuuuu:confused: 30 years ago, you just did whateveer you need to do for most jobs. They want to control every aspect of your life these days tbh.

I smell a conspiracy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    You'd be surprised, fiver for six cans for predrinks, money for the bus into town, cheaplist/freelist into a club then pool in with your friends to a get a taxi home. Its doable when it is literally all you can afford.

I think its a good argument to be fair. They will get more tax out of me then they would have if I didn't go to college.

Nah I'm a cheap bastard, probably not cheap enough to go into a club that charges a quid at the door though. :pac:

There's also the reasonably high risk though that people doing subjects in the professions will just go off abroad where it seems right now there'll be better prospects.

I'm just not a fan of state interference in general. I'm heading back to college next year and if a loan is needed and it's available I won't mind. If they go the "middle ground" and it's a stupid high reg. fee with lower income threshold that can't be deferred and there's no loans available for it, I will be quite annoyed. I did two years of 3+ hours a day commuting while paying back a loan I had to get for a year's fees + the reg. fee. I know it's a pain in the arse but as far as I'm concerned I was lucky for it to even be possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Why not get your education abroad? I am a big believer in the free market, so why put up with increasing fees while the quality of third level education goes down? The amount you invest should be proportional to the actual quality of the education you recieve. Unlike most other nations, irish education appears to operate on the basis of an inverse relationship. This is not opinion, the league tables speak for themselves.

With the exception of the UK and the Ecole Polytechnique and Ecole Normale Superieure in France, ETH Zurich and EPF Lausanne in Switzerland, the two Munich universities, and Heidelberg in Germany, Uppsala in Sweden and Copehagen and throw in Leuven, Delft and one or two others most mainland European universities aren't up to scratch. Unless you're going to one of the above mentioned, Irish universities don't actually do too badly.
    Mike 1972 wrote: »

Of course if the Irish education "system" wasnt so embarrassingly shyte when it came to teaching continental languages............

To be fair even if Irish education was good, learning French and German (Spanish and Italian universities are generally a lot ****ter than ours) to a level fluent enough to actually study at university is a challenge. I know lots of French and Spanish who could 'speak' English but were utterly clueless when it came to university level lectures.
    Not necessarily. Many courses abroad are done through English, with the Sciences being the main type.

A small number are, generally medical and dentistry. It certainly isn't 'many' though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

For postgraduate courses it should definitely be on people's radar. Looking at a MSc course in the Netherlands (in a higher ranked uni than anything in Ireland I might add) for instance is approx €1700 compared to €7000 here.

In fact I think it's something that should be encouraged. I've seen too many students become institutionalised here - same college for degree - masters - PhD - postdoc. People would benefit from experiencing full-time education in a different university/country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It's essentially a trap designed for the interests of the colleges and employment venues. They won't tell you this, but that is the truth. I always read between the lines, they won't fool me. I mean come on, a degree in ****ing hotel management? What the fuuuu:confused: 30 years ago, you just did whateveer you need to do for most jobs. They want to control every aspect of your life these days tbh.

I smell a conspiracy...

Free fees or student loans? Have heard that about both. :pac:

IMO there should be no non-researching teaching posts in anything that wants to be called something better than an IFE. Some of the spending in colleges just makes me want to cry. In Dundalk IT a whole building was bought and renovated for the "creative arts" while the electronics students have to vouch for every resistor that's taken. :pac:

Dudess wrote: »
    Loans system is a good option IMO.

I don't really see why people are opposed to a loan system, it seems very fair, everyone starts off and finishes on an equal footing. The only problem I can see is that certain courses become 'demeaned' as the rush for the courses with the best career prospects becomes the be all and end all. In some ways if this meant the end of the 'madey-uppy' courses it can only be a good thing. This hasn't happened in the UK though so I suppose this isn't a guaranteed outcome.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    For postgraduate courses it should definitely be on people's radar. Looking at a MSc course in the Netherlands (in a higher ranked uni than anything in Ireland I might add) for instance is approx €1700 compared to €7000 here.

What university? With the exception of Delft I can't think of any that are significantly better than Irish ones.
    In fact I think it's something that should be encouraged. I've seen too many students become institutionalised here - same college for degree - masters - PhD - postdoc. People would benefit from experiencing full-time education in a different university/country.

To be fair, that's not a uniquely Irish issue. The term for it is 'academic incest' and it happens everywhere. I would strongly agree that unless you have some outstanding researchers you wish to work with in your current university it's a good idea to move around as much as possible.

With the exception of the UK and the Ecole Polytechnique and Ecole Normale Superieure in France, ETH Zurich and EPF Lausanne in Switzerland, the two Munich universities, and Heidelberg in Germany, Uppsala in Sweden and Copehagen and throw in Leuven, Delft and one or two others most mainland European universities aren't up to scratch. Unless you're going to one of the above mentioned, Irish universities don't actually do too badly.
    I beg to differ, see link below. We have 2 universities in the top 200, (UCD & Trinity) and none in the top 100. Actually this isn't a bad statistic given our population size but there is a lot of European universities rated higher than ours. These do tend to be in the UK unsuprisingly, but also quite a few in The Netherlands, Switzerland and Sweden

Times World University Rankings - Europe

What university? With the exception of Delft I can't think of any that are significantly better than Irish ones.
    Leuven
    Utrecht
    Wageningen University and Research Center
    Leiden
    University of Amsterdam
    Delft (mentioned)
    Eindhoven University of Technology

all ranked above Trinity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Amazing to always hear of college students being hard done by, a lot of my friends are students and they go drinking 4-5 nights a week so maybe if they didn't piss all there money up the wall they might be able to pay their own college fees rather than the working tax payer footing the bill!
    You must have rich friends then. College has changed.

I beg to differ, see link below. We have 2 universities in the top 200, (UCD & Trinity) and none in the top 100. Actually this isn't a bad statistic given our population size but there is a lot of European universities rated higher than ours. These do tend to be in the UK unsuprisingly, but also quite a few in The Netherlands, Switzerland and Sweden

Times World University Rankings - Europe

To be honest I'm a tad wary putting too much emphasis on university rankings.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011?page=1

Using the QS ranking system Trinity jumps to 65 globally. It seems very hard to explain such a massive difference between the two most reputable ranking systems wouldn't you agree?

Anyway, I do think Irish universities aren't doing too badly considering our population size and wealth. When we're put beside the likes of Sweden, Denmark, Belgium we do quite well. We also do far better than the Italian, Spanish and Portugese universities. All in all I don't think we're doing too badly.

Anyway, I do think Irish universities aren't doing too badly considering our population size and wealth. When we're put beside the likes of Sweden, Denmark, Belgium we do quite well. We also do far better than the Italian, Spanish and Portugese universities. All in all I don't think we're doing too badly.

*Ring Ring* Angella Merkel would like to have a word with you. We overpay Senior Academics in this country. Compare the average pay in Europe to here if you don't believe me.

Leuven
    Utrecht
    Wageningen University and Research Center
    Leiden
    University of Amsterdam
    Delft (mentioned)
    Eindhoven University of Technology

all ranked above Trinity

Ah but using QS rankings only Amsterdam comes above Trinity and only by 2 or 3 spots. See what I mean about ranking? It's very subjective. I think it's fairer to judge each faculty of a university separately rather than the univeristy as a whole.

*Ring Ring* Angella Merkel would like to have a word with you. We overpay Senior Academics in this country. Compare the average pay in Europe to here if you don't believe me.

Sorry, I have no idea what that has to do with my post? Can you explain?

Ah but using QS rankings only Amsterdam comes above Trinity and only by 2 or 3 spots. See what I mean about ranking? It's very subjective. I think it's fairer to judge each faculty of a university separately rather than the univeristy as a whole.

Not trying to have a go at you, but what you "think" does not matter. These are the rankings used internationally. It's not right, but that is how it is. These rankings are influential. Very crude system, but it's the tool of the trade.

Not trying to have a go at you, but what you "think" does not matter. These are the rankings used internationally. It's not right, but that is how it is. These rankings are influential. Very crude system, but it's the tool of the trade.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I was pointing out the significant differences between the Times and QS rankings to indicate how subjective ranking systems are and was suggesting that comparing faculties is a better method. I'm not suggesting that my 'ideas' are somehow going to be used for ranking unviersities, I'm hardly that fcuking naive. I think you're picking up on something I never even implied.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I was pointing out the significant differences between the Times and QS rankings to indicate how subjective ranking systems are and was suggesting that comparing faculties is a better method. I'm not suggesting that my 'ideas' are somehow going to be used for ranking unviersities, I'm hardly that fcuking naive. I think you're picking up on something I never even implied.

:P

:P

Wow, very mature.

• Advertisement

Wow, very mature.

I don't think you should lower yourself to my level. After Hours is full of my type:)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭el oh el

Try The Netherlands, costs around €1800 p.a., got top unis and lower living costs than in Ireland.
    Best of all: hundreds of degrees in English, no need to learn dutch :D

Edit: didn't read through all 9 pages, been mentioned already.
    Speaking of rankings, it's often better to look at the ranking by subject than by university, UCD for example does much better on business than as a whole...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

This is not opinion, the league tables speak for themselves.
    They do, but they speak a particular complex language. League tables are compiled based on a host of different criteria, including funding (esp. research funding) which is particularly relevant in this discussion. Ireland has never been good on that score (peripheral economy; highly reliant on multi-nationals who keep the bulk of their research funding at home; and I would say a general Irish culture which doesn't value R&D as highly as it should). It improved a bit during the boom, but is dropping back again; and between general funding issues (including as a result staff : student ratios) and this issue of research funding, Irish universities are again slipping in the tables having made some headway since 2000.

I wouldn't dismiss league tables totally by any means, but quality of undergraduate education is only one of the indicators used, and not the one that Irish colleges do worst on by any means.

Compare the average pay generally / cost of living in Europe to Ireland while you're at it. :)

I wouldn't totally disagree with you, but when you take relativity into account the issue is generally exaggerated by those seeking cheap soundbites.
    And internationally, these rankings are viewed as subjective (and generally biased towards the American system) and quite crude tools indeed.

Compare the average pay generally / cost of living in Europe to Ireland while you're at it. :)

I wouldn't totally disagree with you, but when you take relativity into account the issue is generally exaggerated by those seeking cheap soundbites.

And internationally, these rankings are viewed as subjective (and generally biased towards the American system) and quite crude tools indeed.

Fair points. I do think that we underpay second level teachers here, given what they have to put up with. Third Level is a little cushier from what I have seen myself. Of course, this is open to dispute.

To be honest I'm a tad wary putting too much emphasis on university rankings.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011?page=1

Using the QS ranking system Trinity jumps to 65 globally. It seems very hard to explain such a massive difference between the two most reputable ranking systems wouldn't you agree?
    True, these are a subjective barometer of overall rating at best and outside of the top 20 or so the top 200 can vary widely from ranking system used and year-to-year. You really need to analyse performance in your own faculty carefully before lending to much weight to these. Personally I think we perform relatively poorly (compared to our overall strength) on sciences in this country. I'd rank most of Northern Europe above us in that regard

So looking at the Times rankings there are approimately 13 Dutch universities of a similar standard to our two (UCD and Trinity). In a population of approx 16million that's a pretty good figure. Although I do agree, our few universities are of a high global standard (hey I have to say that - I attended one!) and much better than most of Southern Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Personally I think we perform relatively poorly (compared to our overall strength) on sciences in this country. I'd rank most of Northern Europe above us in that regard

My college science department was ranked third best in the world.

My college science department was ranked third best in the world.
    Jeez....I hope it wasn't in Mathematics:pac:

Third Level is a little cushier from what I have seen myself.
    Again, I wouldn't disagree entirely, but it varies hugely and there's a lot of work which is pretty invisible to students tbh.

I would also say that it isn't anything like as "cushy" as 20 / 30 years ago, just listening to the old-timers! :D

But if you're lucky enough to have a permanent lecturing post in a Uni, in a department which has small numbers of students, and you're a lazy bugger who does the absolute minimum: basic teaching hours; pottering around making a big deal of a small bit of research; never getting involved in developing new courses or even the internal admin / co-ordination with the department ... then yes, you still won't die from overwork.

Not that many get away with that these days though.

Most departments have seen a huge upsurge in student numbers over the last 20 / 25 years without anything like the same increase in staff, and that's not even looking at the last 3 / 4 years in particular, when student numbers have shot up and the embargo means approx. 1 in 3 staff who leave are replaced.

Many departments are now heavily reliant on occasional, contract or part-time staff ... too heavily actually, and that's another factor which does us no good in those tables you were talking about.

The pressure to research and publish has increased hugely over the last couple of decades (and it's hard to argue with that, certainly).

But one of the real problems is the exponential increase in paperwork and admin and general bureaucracy and so on that no-one can avoid completely, and that takes up I'd say 40-50% of many academic's work hours. It's partly the result of massification and the huge increase in numbers; it's partly because because QA systems are far too paper-trail obsessed these days; and let's be honest, it's partly because bureaucracy breeds flaming bureaucracy!! >.<

Jeez....I hope it wasn't in Mathematics:pac:

Oh snap! :rolleyes:

Definition of third best: (not sure why I need to provide this though)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/third-best

Oh snap! :rolleyes:

Definition of third best: (not sure why I need to provide this though)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/third-best
    You don't. I was questioning how they came to a figure as high as #3 in the world. I could fire 30 universities off the top of my head that would rate higher than any Irish university for science.

That's not saying your science dept is poor, just it's a very very competitive field.

• Advertisement

You don't. I was questioning how they came to a figure as high as #3 in the world. I could fire 30 universities off the top of my head that would rate higher than any Irish university for science.

That's not saying your science dept is poor, just it's a very very competitive field.

But "science" is very broad. There are a lot of sub-categories. I very much doubt you know the ins and outs of every science department in every institution in Ireland. In mine, our department had a Professor who is considered one of the leading authorities in his area in the world and another who was the editor of one the main academic journals in the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

ciara1052 wrote: »
    Are you sure you've checked for english language courses? The two schools I checked had fees only for english courses. I could have enrolled for free all right in the course not in english provided I passed an interview. I wouldn't be able to do chemistry through a foreign language....IF you're right and there is an option where I can study a course through english, and if fees increase to 10k here I shall have to look into doing my science degree elsewhere.

You can do medicine in the Czech Republic through English for 8k per year. I know a couple of Irish guys over who are doing it. Handy if you don't get the points here.

I am sure other science degrees would be less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Most of my friends are in college and they are sh!t broke, lucky to go out once a week.

Like a normal social life, you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

stovelid wrote: »
    Like a normal social life, you mean?

No, he means vs the dumb stereotype some people have here about students

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

DB21 wrote: »
    No, he means vs the dumb stereotype some people have here about students

True.

It's heeartbreaking to think of somebody with no job having to get by with one night out a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Something in Ireland being "not too bad"?! Don't be ridiculous, everyone knows it's the worst country in the world and we're living through the most austere times in world history.
    Yes, I would prefer Somalia
    Why should everyone else have to invest in your (or my) education though? If you're dedicated enough then the one night out every two weeks could be sacrificed to cover a 500 or so increase in the reg. fee.

I still can't see the problem with loans. It's up to you if you want to do them or not.
    This is the thing, though, I'm sure it's set to go up by much more than €500

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Also giving the option of paying fees upfront might cut the numbers going to fee-paying schools here. Faced with paying 25k for college parents might decide not to spend that on secondary education, thereby levelling the playing field.

Thats a very round about way of cutting down on them. I can think of a much simpler way, albeit one that results in a red scare every time I mention it on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 james08

I smell a conspiracy...

What do mean a degree in ****ing hotel management? .....??????

Advertisement