Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good family campsites for summer 2012

Options
  • 08-11-2011 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Looking for recommendations for summer holiday 2012 during july/august. We are 2 adults +3 boys aged 11,9 & 6. Good activities required, near a beach, no car required preferably, any ideas please?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Good campsites in Galway City, close to the city, National Aquarium, Salthill, good pubs and music, seafront. No need for car while there.

http://www.salthillcaravanpark.com/

http://www.camping-irelandwest.com/

Note - these are independent views, no connection with either site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 beegee

Thanks for your reply but I should have mentioned in my request that we wish to holiday in France or Italy, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Car will be required in most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭castlepoint

woodlands caravan park in tralee.very friendly,clean,central for town,next to aqua dome.hotel and cinema.banna beach 5 miles away.it,s fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

I went to La Reserve in France when I was younger. Went for 2 years straight, loved it!! I was about 14/15 and my sister was 11/12 and she loved it too.

Lots of things to do, activities and what not. Look it up, we went with Keycamp!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

If you want to go to one where you don't need a car you should check out La Ruisseau in Biarritz. I went there too and it was good. Has a beach on site too, If I remember correctly.

Sorry they're both in France, I haven't been to any others :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Nope, Le Ruisseau doesn't have a beach. It's nowhere near the beach in walking terms. I was there last Summer, but had the car with me. Driving, it was about 10 minutes to the beach. There is a high season local shuttle you can use to get to the beach but I wouldn't want to rely in it with kids that age.

Check out the reviews on Tripadvisor - they are pretty mixed. The noise from the bar was a big issue last Summer, but I have a feeling they will have done something about it for next year unless they want to lose a lot of business.

In general terms, Bidart as a destination is OK without a car. You can fly into San Sebastien just over the border (well, 30 minutes transfer) or Biarritz which is essentially the next town up the road from Bidart and so is within taxi distance. There are no flights direct from Dublin, but you should be able to go via one of the London airports. It is a strip town though, so it's a bit drawn out. There is an old town which is nice, but it's uphill from the beach and I didn't notice much accommodation directly in the old town.

z

Advertisement