Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Days! Council house question

Options
  • 08-11-2011 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

So, after years of being on the list, we have been offered a great house with three bedrooms. I am so thrilled!!!!

Question: The house is bare. No furniture, no appliances and is in need of a serious clean up inside and out. Is there anything that the CWO would be able to do for us to get these items?

Anyone know how to go about getting this done? Or has gone through it?

Thanks. :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

You should check out

http://www.adverts.ie/free-stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Learpholl

Go into a shop and buy furniture/appliances?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ruboo wrote: »
    and is in need of a serious clean up inside and out
    How bad? Are we talking wear & tear, or filth?

Your question may get better answered in http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Is it just deep cleaning or do repairs have to be carried out?

I would have thought that if repairs were needed, then the council would have to carry these out before the house is handed over.

If it's 'just' a clean, then I imagine you would be responsible.

As for furniture? Maybe the CWO would help, but I doubt it. Doesn't hurt to ask though! :)

Meanwhile - ask around friends and family. They might be able to let you have some bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭texidub

Do you ever intend to earn anything in your life or just have the rest of society pay your way? Just wondering as I can't get me head around this mentality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

texidub wrote: »
    Do you ever intend to earn anything in your life or just have the rest of society pay your way? Just wondering as I can't get me head around this mentality.

Great comment not knowing the OP's circumstances.
    But sure your perfect right

I'm not perfect by any means but I will retract the comment as the OP has no reason to behave any different when there's free houses going. Yeah ask the CWO for money for furniture. While you're at it, ask them to pay to clean it too. And anything else you fancy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

If the house is dirty clean the place OMG and if it need,s paint do it room by room when you have the cash to buy the paint OMG again.

I'm not perfect by any means but I will retract the comment as the OP has no reason to behave any different when there's free houses going. Yeah ask the CWO for money for furniture. While you're at it, ask them to pay to clean it too. And anything else you fancy...

dude, you just apologized and then continued to act like a d ick.

god forbid you suffer hardship and need something from someone in your life

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- if you intend to contribute to this forum- read the forum charter. Its not after hours in here.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Advertisement

I didn't apologise.

I retracted the comment because I realise it's pointless trying to change people who have made a habit out of putting the hand out.

Did you ever think that maybe having gone through hardship at times is WHY I have no time for people who have received HUGE charity from the rest of society (to the tune of a free house for eff sake) but are not content with that.. who want more and more? Some are just conditioned to be helpless.

Sorry if I offended you, but there has to be a reasonable limit to how much charity anyone with any pride and self-respect will be willing to accept.

fair enough. Didn;t see that post. I'll say no more.

with no idea what the op has, or is going through your point is moot.

you know for someone whos gone through "hardship" and so thats why you dont have time for others then im sorry the rest of the world isnt as strong as you..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Learpholl wrote: »
    Go into a shop and buy furniture/appliances?

I'd recommend ikea.

If you can't afford that then the St Vincent De Paul shops does all kinds of furniture at really good prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

...when there's free houses going....
    ...to the tune of a free house for eff sake...

Do people actually think that these houses are free? Social housing tenants do have to pay rent.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Do people actually think that these houses are free? Social housing tenants do have to pay rent.

Technically but it is immaterial.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Zamboni wrote: »
    Technically but it is immaterial.
    No it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

So, after years of being on the list, we have been offered a great house with three bedrooms. I am so thrilled!!!!

Question: The house is bare. No furniture, no appliances and is in need of a serious clean up inside and out. Is there anything that the CWO would be able to do for us to get these items?

Not knowing your circumstances ,But you can apply to the CWO for a one off payment for appliances ,bedding ,flooring etc , It is means tested and you may not qualify but give it a go and best of luck in your new home..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

El Weirdo wrote: »
    No it's not.
    Means tested and considerably lower than market rates with an option to buy later at a much reduced market rate.

Why anybody is surprised the OPs post annoys people is beyond me. Yes people have a hard time and should know their entilements. Still to keep on asking for more will be seen as grabbing with both hands.

My grandparents got a council house but that was part of the process of getting rid of tenements. The amount of people who live off the state as a way of living is irritating to most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    ...Yes people have a hard time and should know their entilements. Still to keep on asking for more will be seen as grabbing with both hands...

not much contradiction in your post at all - you say people should know of their entitlements, and then criticise the OP for asking what their entitlements are.

the CWO can always say no, as can any other state body, so there's nothing wrong with the OP asking whether its worth asking them.

i have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that if any of the po-faced posters commenting on this thread found themselves in the OP's situation of moving into a house without beds for their children, they'd be hammering on the doors of the CWO quicker than you can say 'i've paid my taxes'.

they can deny it all they like, but they'd be liars - or astonishingly bad parents...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

OS119 wrote: »
    not much contradiction in your post at all - you say people should know of their entitlements, and then criticise the OP for asking what their entitlements are.

the CWO can always say no, as can any other state body, so there's nothing wrong with the OP asking whether its worth asking them.

i have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that if any of the po-faced posters commenting on this thread found themselves in the OP's situation of moving into a house without beds for their children, they'd be hammering on the doors of the CWO quicker than you can say 'i've paid my taxes'.

they can deny it all they like, but they'd be liars - or astonishingly bad parents...
    Well learn to read then. I didn't criticise anybody just pointed out how it can be seen. Note you are making up stuff not stated.Then assume how others will act. You over simplifying a story you are making up yourself.

This is just the same as people assuming the worst of the OP in reverse and true hypocritical thinking. It's actually worse as you have stated everybody else would act

Or maybe they would you know go all radical and actually... buy beds? Or get some inflatable beds temporarily? We've all had to do it at some point --except those who get funded by the state or those who have always had so much money that they never had to worry about such things. Utterly baffling levels of entitlement and helplessness.

I have no problem with welfare. People who have lost their jobs deserve help. People with disabilities deserve help. No questions asked: it is the measure of a society how they treat people in these situations.

BUT it is also a measure of the person how they approach society in return...

There also comes a point when some people are just showing barefaced greed... because it's everybody else in Irish society who has to pay for them... their friends, their neighbours, people they've never even met at the far end of the country...

As for bad parenting.. well a parent who went short, worked hard and came through the other side is a much better role model than one with the hand out for every little thing.

Finally, I didn't say I have no time for other people. I have no time for greed --be it corporate or welfare. What about all the other people who are paying the OP's way? Don't they matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

texidub banned for a week for continuing to drag the thread off-topic in a non-constructive manner.

Does anyone have any useful advice for the original poster?

OP, you might get some assistance, but perhaps not full. Draw up a list of what you need now and what you would eventually like to have. Do try the various second-hard websites and papers and demonstrate to the CWO that you are meeting them half-way.

I imagine it would be normal for a council to provide housing in a painted, clean* state. You might check with the council what they propose. Again, meeting the council half-way might get you the things you want them to do that you can't do yourself.

* Builder's clean, you might still need to use a vacuum cleaner and wash food / hygiene surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/community_welfare_officers.html

No mention of furniture allowances in the above link.

I would try and get your house furnished by considering the following:
    Secondhand Furniture Shops (St. Vincent De Paul have a good one)
    Picking up items from websites like Freecycle, Jumbletown, etc.
    Asking friends or family if they are throwing out any pieces of furniture
    Ikea, Des Kelly, Bargaintown are all reasonable for furniture and accessories

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Cleaning would be up to you to do. Or you could hire a private cleaner if you didn't want to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Congratulations on getting your new council house for which you will be paying rent. There's plenty of cheap secondhand stuff if you look around. It would get you started without breaking the bank. Meath Street has a few shops doing recycled and you will be very enviromentally friendly too!
    Why not have a "cleaning party" with some friends helping out - we did this with our garden and it was good fun too.
    Hope you and your family are very happy in your new home. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The CWO can make discretionary payments as a once-off to get you started, all you can do is ask.

In the meantime, jumbletown and St VdeP have lots of stuff you can check out.

As for the cleaning, well take some ownership for the place so jump in and clean it yourself. Think of it like a project for yourself, maybe you want to choose some paint colours too.
    The council are not going to hire contract cleaners for you

If there is work to be done like electrical or windows well get onto the council but hurry, they are busy spending their budgets before year end so get it done this month or you'll be waiting a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭alibaba12

OP there are websites that people use to put up goods for sale or free; one such site is www.freetradeireland.ie; you might find stuff you need on these.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

OP if you have a job you prob won't get anything from the CWO. I live in a council house (for which I "technically" :rolleyes: pay €95 per week for). There wasn't even a kitchen in my house when I moved in! Only a sink with one cupboard underneath, apparently this is all they have to provide. So if you have more than this count yourself lucky! The house was fairly clean but had to be painted, new floors put down etc.

There was old dirty carpets on the floors when I moved in, the council did take these away for me after a lot of asking but after that it was all up to me. Slowly but surely you'll get the bits and pieces you need, it took me a few years to get the house the way I want it but you'll get there in the end.

• Advertisement

OP if you have a job you prob won't get anything from the CWO. I live in a council house (for which I "technically" :rolleyes: pay €95 per week for). There wasn't even a kitchen in my house when I moved in! Only a sink with one cupboard underneath, apparently this is all they have to provide. So if you have more than this count yourself lucky! The house was fairly clean but had to be painted, new floors put down etc.

There was old dirty carpets on the floors when I moved in, the council did take these away for me after a lot of asking but after that it was all up to me. Slowly but surely you'll get the bits and pieces you need, it took me a few years to get the house the way I want it but you'll get there in the end.

A whole house for €411.66 a month?
    Nice.

Advertisement