Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poetry with Winter/Christmas or other theme in primary school

Options
  • 08-11-2011 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I am a primary school teacher and I am looking for a nice poem to do with my 4th class (9 and 10 year olds) that might relate to winter/christmas or an other theme with a lot of scope.

I always loved as a child, 'Stopping by Woods on a snowy evening' and I have always loved teaching it with the children. I often start with a photo of an old man and his horse at the edge of a forest and ask them 'Where they think he is going? Who he is? etc
    Then we delve in to the poem itself and it's meaning, feelings, time of year, etc

It is really a poem with a lot of scope and so I am looking for some other poetry that you might think would appeal to this age group and open their eyes in wonder, ask questions, and picture things in their mind like it did in mine all those years ago...

I would really appreciate any ideas you may have, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

This school (not mine!) have very kindly put some winter poems up on their site:

http://scoileoin.pbworks.com/w/page/11253330/Winter%20Poems

'Death of a Snowman' looks like it would appeal to 4th class. The language used in 'Something Told the Wild Geese' is really beautiful. I've done 'Sir Winter' before with 1st class, some of them weren't able for understanding it but the ones that did really enjoyed it.

Advertisement