Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can you defer a semester

• 08-11-2011 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Does anybody know where i stand here.

Im in my 4th and final year as an Undergrad.

In my second semester coming up in January we only have classes for 2 days a week, which total about 7 hours altogether, so it hardly seems worth it to pay rent and bills in cork just to be here for those 2 days.

and most of the lectures are stuff we know inside out anyway

what im thinking of doing is just going to live and work in Germany for 4 months, and earn some money and then just come back to cork for the exams in may.

half my class dont even show up for lectures anyway so once stay in touch via blackboard and i submit my assignments online id say id be fine.

should i tell UCC about this.. what would they say.. or is it the case they wouldnt allow it and i would be forced to defer a semester ?

Id rather not have to defer and as far as im concerned i would still be registered for the course except i wouldnt be attending class.

the 2nd semester is only 12 weeks anyway before the study month in April.. answers appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Unless its a very small class that counts attendance, its unlikely they can say anything, because they may not notice. For example, I'm in Final year Economics, and classes tend to be about 60 people - lecturers aren't likely to notice someone missing, particularly if they don't tend to show up much as it is.
    For yourself though, the question is would lack of attendance impact on your final mark.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

bazzare wrote: »
    Does anybody know where i stand here.

Im in my 4th and final year as an Undergrad.

In my second semester coming up in January we only have classes for 2 days a week, which total about 7 hours altogether, so it hardly seems worth it to pay rent and bills in cork just to be here for those 2 days.

and most of the lectures are stuff we know inside out anyway

what im thinking of doing is just going to live and work in Germany for 4 months, and earn some money and then just come back to cork for the exams in may.

half my class dont even show up for lectures anyway so once stay in touch via blackboard and i submit my assignments online id say id be fine.

should i tell UCC about this.. what would they say.. or is it the case they wouldnt allow it and i would be forced to defer a semester ?

Id rather not have to defer and as far as im concerned i would still be registered for the course except i wouldnt be attending class.

the 2nd semester is only 12 weeks anyway before the study month in April.. answers appreciated

what degree are you doing and modules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

so long as you don't get marked for attendance and/or have to meet up with lecturers for the assignments then you'd be grand. For most this wouldn't be possible but if you don't think you'll have to meet a lecturer and you don't need a certain % attendance then I'd say just do it.

Advertisement