Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cancer Eye - anyone had recent case/ any advice welcome

• 08-11-2011 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭

I have a 7 year old Hereford X FR suckler cow that i noticed a growth on her eyelid, on closer inspection its like a rectangular wart called a Keratoma and advice is to surgically remove it asap to stop it spreading into Lymph system.

40% of cases stop after early removal, 60% regrow and if untreated animal will live 2-5 years but can also waste away in six months time.

Will get vet to remove it but just wondered did anyone on here have it? its associated with older animals with no pigment around eye area .i.e. white or whiteheads as sunlight is more readily absorbed into darker hair/skin around eyes whereas white reflects the sunlight

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

we come across a good few of them, never seem one treated always just slaughter as early as possible, never seen anything but a whitehead with one. I have seen a few animals at the abattoir and its a down right disgrace that someone has let an animal get into such a state with a cancerous eye. surly some of these kind of people should be chased up and reprimanded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I've heard of it alright. Is she in calf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

we come across a good few of them, never seem one treated always just slaughter as early as possible, never seen anything but a whitehead with one. I have seen a few animals at the abattoir and its a down right disgrace that someone has let an animal get into such a state with a cancerous eye. surly some of these kind of people should be chased up and reprimanded

Cheers Bob,

Same as that id never let her suffer but will hope ive caught it early and removal will work, She is a lovely springer and rears great calves would i get away with culling her next back end do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Bodacious wrote: »
    Cheers Bob,

Same as that id never let her suffer but will hope ive caught it early and removal will work, She is a lovely springer and rears great calves would i get away with culling her next back end do you think?

If you were not to treat it I would say keep her in good condition and assess when she calves. if getting bad adopt the calf to another cow. Usually I have seen it take about 6 months before something needs to be done which has always being slaughter in my experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

From earlier this year;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71656729

And she calved and was culled as she wasnt putting on condition:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Bodacious wrote: »
    I have a 7 year old Hereford X FR suckler cow that i noticed a growth on her eyelid, on closer inspection its like a rectangular wart called a Keratoma and advice is to surgically remove it asap to stop it spreading into Lymph system.

40% of cases stop after early removal, 60% regrow and if untreated animal will live 2-5 years but can also waste away in six months time.

Will get vet to remove it but just wondered did anyone on here have it? its associated with older animals with no pigment around eye area .i.e. white or whiteheads as sunlight is more readily absorbed into darker hair/skin around eyes whereas white reflects the sunlight

not really the same thing but had a grand yr and half heifer there the winter before last, noticed she got a little lump ontop of her back, didnt think much of it at first but asked the vet one day, he removed it anyway and sent to lab, came back and said it was lymphoma, within a few weeks she went off her food totally and started going downhill, had to have her shot poor old thing. it would have happened anyway but removing it certainly sped up the process..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Is it just me or is it very common in hereford cows. Have seen it a few times and it is almost always hereford cows that have it.

I rang the vet today to remove the keratoma from the eye lid this Friday he spoke of tying fish gut on it like they used to do with warts but i want it cut out clean as id imagine the more of it you would remove the better chance you have of nipping it in the bud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Is it just me or is it very common in hereford cows. Have seen it a few times and it is almost always hereford cows that have it.

we had a few cases in montbeliardes as well

it usually occurs in animals with an area of white hair around the eye

Got it removed and piece of eyelid with it ... Hopefully we got it early... Will keep an eye on it to see if it comes back and will give update !

• Advertisement
Advertisement