Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on getting a puppy to walk on a lead

• 08-11-2011 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    Apologies if this has been posted before but looking to get some advice on my puppy. He's 13 weeks and does not seem to want to walk on a lead! He just lies flat out when I try and walk him. I've left the lead on him around the house a few times to get him used to it then have taken the lead and tried to get him to come to me he won't budge. Anyone got any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Try adding a few steps in between, like holding the lead and going where the pup wants to go, or holding the lead and giving him a treat, try have him follow a treat in your hand while you hold the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Whispered wrote: »
    Try adding a few steps in between, like holding the lead and going where the pup wants to go, or holding the lead and giving him a treat, try have him follow a treat in your hand while you hold the lead.

He just doesn't seem to want to move when I'm holding the lead if it's off him he's out the back door any chance he gets! I've never seen this before with any dog I had usually they nearly pull the arm off you to go somewhere! I will try the treats although he seems to be getting a lot of treats these day so I'll have to watch it!

Make sure you put no pressue on the lead at all, it should be loose. A light lead is best. Try have him more interested in you than in the lead, so a toy or a treat might work.

Does he usually wear a collar?

With the treats, I usually feed my dogs half their normal measure and the rest of the meal is given as treats. You can also use things like small pieces of carrot, and the occasional piece of cheese and meat. If you train using a mixture you're likely to have a very intersted puppy because he'll always be hoping for the next bit of meat/cheese. It makes all of the treats have a higher value, even the boring old dry food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Whispered wrote: »
    Make sure you put no pressue on the lead at all, it should be loose. A light lead is best. Try have him more interested in you than in the lead, so a toy or a treat might work.

Does he usually wear a collar?

With the treats, I usually feed my dogs half their normal measure and the rest of the meal is given as treats. You can also use things like small pieces of carrot, and the occasional piece of cheese and meat. If you train using a mixture you're likely to have a very intersted puppy because he'll always be hoping for the next bit of meat/cheese. It makes all of the treats have a higher value, even the boring old dry food.

Wow cheers whispered excellent advice you don't do house calls do you?:pac:
    yep tbh I need to set aside more time to train him and will definitely try some mixed treats he certainly loves his food for the size of him so hopefully this will work. Also I think he's getting used to being carried around a bit much too ( I have a toddler too so sometimes it's easier just to lift the puppy out of the way!) Anyway will try this Whispered. And yes he wears a collar and has no problems with it.

Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement