Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldfish keeps bobbing at surface

Options
  • 08-11-2011 4:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, my goldfish keeps coming up to the surface and bobbing as if he is gasping for air or food and making little splashing sounds, he's been at this for the last hour or so.

He only started this today after I did a partial water change (25% or so)

I looked online and it says that this could mean he is running low on oxygen? I dunno how that could be, he is in a 60 ltr tank and I just did a partial water change, he's been grand in the tank for a good while beforehand.

I put in some Stress coat and stress zime to treat the new water... I'm pretty sure I used the right amount that it said to on the packet, but could too much of it cause him to act the way he is?

Or is this nothing to worry about unless he does this over a long period of time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Could be the water does not have enough dissolved O2 in it for him to be comfortable.

If you can either angle the filter outlet or raise the entire unit it so the outflow agitates the surface. The moving surface water will collect O2 from the air. No need to raise it so it splashes or anything, surface movement is enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Could be the water does not have enough dissolved O2 in it for him to be comfortable.

If you can either angle the filter outlet or raise the entire unit it so the outflow agitates the surface. The moving surface water will collect O2 from the air. No need to raise it so it splashes or anything, surface movement is enough.

I have the filter outlet set so it causes ripples on the surface. I don't see how it could have been a lack of O2 seen as he was grand before I did the water change.

He has stopped bobbing at the surface now and seems perfectly happy, looks like he just wanted to worry me before I went to bed! :pac:

2dryyqs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭diverdad

Maybe he was contemplating jumping out of the tank......... :rolleyes:

I know I would if I had to look out at that hideous backdrop/wallpaper. Poor fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

There may have been something in the water that you put into the tank. If its untreated tap water it could contain any number of chemicals that will hurt your fish.

My parents lost 5-6 goldfish from there outdoor pond as a result of too much lime in the water. They now catch rainwater when they are doing any water changes, although they do live in the country, i wouldnt do this in the city as theres so much air pollution that may contaminate the rain as it falls.

Advertisement